JMSNews Forums

JMSNews Forums (http://jmsnews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Babylon 5 (http://jmsnews.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Free Babylon 5! (http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27474)

Looney 03-22-2014 05:49 PM

I got multiples of all of those in Galveston and they are all great. I noticed there is at least one item I got in Galveston that isn't listed. Did you sell out of the notepads Jan? That is an item I might even consider sending with a letter.

Jan 03-22-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 120789)
I noticed there is at least one item I got in Galveston that isn't listed. Did you sell out of the notepads Jan? That is an item I might even consider sending with a letter.

No, I've still got some of the pads of sticky notes...somewhere. I just haven't figured out what I did with them after the con. I figured that I'd use them to replace the big buttons as an item once I run out of those. The sticky notes and big buttons are the things I've got fewest of.

Jan

Jan 03-23-2014 06:37 PM

Quick update: All of the orders so far are packed and ready for the post office tomorrow. I've had to revise the auction because I've only got five of the big buttons left now so if anybody wants that, order soon. Tomorrow I'll go through the Vistaprint boxes to locate the sticky-notes so I'll be able to swap those out for the big button.

I'm pretty sure that all but one of the orders has gotten more than the auction stated. I didn't bother counting the postcards and calendars and I started giving out 3 lanyards because that's how many kept coming when I grabbed for them. I think 8-10 of the standard buttons was what most people got, too, and a few extra badge ribbons. The only things that nobody got extras of were the big buttons, dog tags and carabiners. Sorry, those were the most limited/expensive items.

Jan

Delenn_of_Mir 04-13-2014 11:19 PM

WOW! I just wanted to say how cool the FreeBabylon5 site looks. I am replying to this thread from the site's jump point.

Sinclair's Fan 04-14-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delenn_of_Mir (Post 120900)
WOW! I just wanted to say how cool the FreeBabylon5 site looks. I am replying to this thread from the site's jump point.

Thanks for the tip, Delenn!

It's been awhile since I posted and, having just revisited the website after reading Delenn's message (above), I just wanted to pass on my CONGRATULATIONS at getting the series repeated on Denmark's 6'eren!

Well done, the Danes! :):):)

The show's back on in the United Kingdom and now Northern Europe.... Why are the American stations being so bloody obstinate? Is there something we don't know about???

CONGRATULATIONS once more!
:D

PS You need to update the map! There's more blue now! :) http://freebabylon5.com/resources/the-map/

Looney 04-14-2014 08:00 AM

Quick question for any and all who are enjoying B5 being back on the air in their country, how does it look?

I am currently doing a re-watch of the DVDs after many, many years. I have finished Season One and there are stretches that look just terrible. I am now two episodes into Season Two and they both look awful. Oddly enough I blame my TV for being too high quality. :D They do look better on an older TV I have, but what I really want to know is how they look being re-broadcast?

Sinclair's Fan 04-24-2014 11:31 AM

Yep, the map needs updating to accomodate Denmark's 6'eren. :)

http://freebabylon5.com/resources/the-map/

Either way, I think it's really wonderful that people now have the chance to discover Babylon 5 for themselves, even if only in a handful of countries. Let's keep up the good work and continue the campaign.

:D:D:D

Endymion 05-29-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan (Post 120992)
Yep, the map needs updating to accomodate Denmark's 6'eren. :)

Having trouble getting that darned plugin to update unfortunately ... no good alternatives around :-S

Jan 06-03-2014 08:07 PM

ohmygodohmygodohmygod! I just got the email a little while ago - #FreeBabylon5 has been approved for a panel at San Diego Comic-Con in July.

This is *huge*! I'm excited. I'm panicking. But it's official - #FreeBabylon5's goin' to Comic-Con!! :D :D :D :D

Jan

Looney 06-03-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 122070)
ohmygodohmygodohmygod! I just got the email a little while ago - #FreeBabylon5 has been approved for a panel at San Diego Comic-Con in July.

This is *huge*! I'm excited. I'm panicking. But it's official - #FreeBabylon5's goin' to Comic-Con!! :D :D :D :D

Jan

"San Diego Comic-Con in July", what is that? What's the big deal?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D That is so awesome. I sooo wish I could be there. WOW! This is HUGE! Is there a scheduled time? OMG! OMG! OMG! I feel like Kristen Wiig's character Sue from SNL, the one you never tell about a surprise party because she gets so excited she can't control her emotions. :D

Ubik 06-04-2014 02:53 AM

Quote:

Jan

Great news Jan! Just the kind of high profile exposure the campaign needs!

babylonlurker 06-05-2014 05:30 AM

Yay !

Much more exposure than the Fedcon I went to in the past week end, though I did get to meet some more *European* B5 fans.

You will do fine, Jan ...

Looney 06-05-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babylonlurker (Post 122083)
Yay !

Much more exposure than the Fedcon I went to in the past week end, though I did get to meet some more *European* B5 fans.

You will do fine, Jan ...

Are we going to see some FedCon stuff soon babylonlurker (Jan)? Will it be on your blog?

And is there any specific panel time or date info for the SDCC 2014 available yet Jan?

babylonlurker 06-05-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 122091)
Are we going to see some FedCon stuff soon babylonlurker (Jan)? Will it be on your blog?

And is there any specific panel time or date info for the SDCC 2014 available yet Jan?

I am sorting through many, many pictures, again..

Yes, there should be something on the blog after the week end, though I have some other preparation to do as well.

Jan 06-05-2014 03:06 PM

Looney, while they've given us preliminary time/dates, they've cautioned us to not publicize them since things are still in flux right up to...well, the con itself, but mainly up to a couple of weeks out when they put the whole schedule online. The main thing is that we've been confirmed for a panel. Woo-Hoo!!!

Jan

KoshN 06-05-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Jan

Maybe Warner Brothers will come out of their coma and notice.

Jan 06-05-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 122099)
Maybe Warner Brothers will come out of their coma and notice.

Hm....Warner Bros. usually has a really big booth at SDCC. I'll have to make them up a little packet of goodies, perhaps. Sadly, I also realize that I'd probably never get further than boothies who don't know anything about anything.

There must be something... Must think about this... :p ;) :D

Jan

Looney 06-05-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 122094)
Looney, while they've given us preliminary time/dates, they've cautioned us to not publicize them since things are still in flux right up to...well, the con itself, but mainly up to a couple of weeks out when they put the whole schedule online. The main thing is that we've been confirmed for a panel. Woo-Hoo!!!

Jan

OKAY. I just wanted some specifics to post in other places, but it is no big deal. We'll get the news out when we can get the news out. :D

Jan 06-06-2014 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 122103)
OKAY. I just wanted some specifics to post in other places, but it is no big deal. We'll get the news out when we can get the news out. :D

Thanks for the effort! And feel free to spread the word that we'll be there but say that details are coming soon.

And speaking of details, any spreading of this plea would be a big help, too. What I posted on Facebook:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBabylon5
Paraphrasing Mr. Bester, "...well, there's really no delicate way to say this...I want your money."

The ‪#‎FreeBabylon5‬ presence at SDCC has two goals:

- Reach as many fans as possible in order to have them join us in taking action, and

- Try to get Warner Brothers' attention (they always have a big booth at Comic-Con). This is our first opportunity to reach real people with the Corporation.

To do this, we need to really present the campaign as a force to be reckoned with and to give fans something to remember us by when they get home.
There are about 130,000 attendees at SDCC and I'd consider it a success if we can reach about 5,000 of them. To that end, I've put together a *very* preliminary budget and it looks like we need about $1,500 to make these goals a reality on that kind of scale. To date we've been running on donations from the wonderful B5 Books Team and a few generous fans. Now I need as many as you who can spare a few bucks to PayPal them via the website ( http://freebabylon5.com/join/ ) or contact me at freebabylon5@aol.com for information on how to send a check (that's also the PayPal email address if you want to donate directly that way.
Thank You!!

Thanks folks!

Jan

Delenn_of_Mir 06-06-2014 07:57 PM

Someone here needs to become BFF's with or start dating the son or daughter of whoever is in charge of Warner Brothers. Then once they're in this person's good graces they can kidnap him/her and force them to watch B5 until she/he becomes as huge a fan as we are, and then no power in the universe would be able to stop us then. "giggles"

Way to go, Jan, on getting a booth at comicon!!!!!!!! You're so brave with all these panels you do.

I shared on my FB page. :)

Jan 06-08-2014 07:28 AM

Thanks, Delenn!

In 48 hours so far, we've raised 21% of our goal thanks to donations and folks snapping up the rest of the 'Ambassadorial Pouches' that were on Ebay.

Can't tell you how grateful I am. :)

Jan

Looney 06-08-2014 09:36 AM

You mentioned that it has been 48hours. Is there a deadline to get funds in?

Jan 06-08-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 122140)
You mentioned that it has been 48hours. Is there a deadline to get funds in?

Nothing precise. I'm waiting on word for SDCC what the approval process is going to be for the freebie tables. I've already sent photos of what I want for my panel hand-outs so it's a waiting game. Hopefully I'll hear back soon because the con's 6.5 weeks away and I still have to get bids and order stuff and ship it to the con.

Okay...I knew all that already but it looks scarier in black and white.

The main thing is to first, get them to pick up whatever I put on offer and second, get them to keep it when they get home and motivate them to look into the campaign further while they're still hyped from the con.

Thanks for the plug on Gateworld, Looney. I just saw it come over on my google alert! :)

Jan

Jan 06-15-2014 01:57 PM

Woo-Hoo!!

When is one third equal to one half? When a benefator comes along and *matches* the funds donated! :D :D :D

Yes, indeed. a dear lady who goes by the codename: Moose, has offered to match any funds donated through June 30 at 50%! I got the news just minutes after the donation that tipped us over 1/3 of our budget came in.

Woo-Hoo!!! So please, if you can, donate. No matter what, please spread the word because this can't happen without a lot of help!

Thanks,
Jan

Jan 06-27-2014 08:13 AM

Another set of Ambassadorial Pouches just went up on Ebay. These are the last of the carabiner keyrings and the first with the new color gold dog tag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111392780427...84.m1586.l2649

Jan

Jan 07-02-2014 05:58 PM

HEAR YE! Hear Ye! Spread the news far and wide! This is the full information on the Free Babylon 5 panel at San Diego Comic-Con:

#‎FreeBabylon5‬ - A Fan Campaign, Thursday, 7/24/14, 10:00a.m. - 11:00a.m., Room: 29A

AND that's not all!! The kind folks at AZ SF Cons have generously agreed to share their Fan Table with us! We'll be found on the Mezzanine at table MZ-03 (thanks, SFTV!!)

Jan

Ubik 07-03-2014 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 122394)
HEAR YE! Hear Ye! Spread the news far and wide! This is the full information on the Free Babylon 5 panel at San Diego Comic-Con:

#‎FreeBabylon5‬ - A Fan Campaign, Thursday, 7/24/14, 10:00a.m. - 11:00a.m., Room: 29A

AND that's not all!! The kind folks at AZ SF Cons have generously agreed to share their Fan Table with us! We'll be found on the Mezzanine at table MZ-03 (thanks, SFTV!!)

Jan

Best of luck! Fly the flag!

phazedout 07-03-2014 10:38 AM

you do realise Jan is in the process of whipping out her sewing machine to MAKE a flag now, right?

Addendnum, I have recorded a brief message with the above details to be included in the gatecast released this week, should go out aturday, worldl cup duties of my co host epending.

Jan 07-03-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phazedout (Post 122400)
you do realise Jan is in the process of whipping out her sewing machine to MAKE a flag now, right?

Well...no. Not exactly. But I *did* just order a (very) cheap 'banner' that I think might work well for draping my part of the table this morning.

:p

So there!

Jan

Jan 07-06-2014 09:04 AM

Wonderful essay by the wonderful webmaster Ben Read.

http://freebabylon5.com/dreams-grow-teeth/

Jan

Ubik 07-07-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 122423)
Wonderful essay by the wonderful webmaster Ben Read.

http://freebabylon5.com/dreams-grow-teeth/

Jan

This is great. Keep up the good work people!

Jan 07-10-2014 06:47 PM

Schedule's up for Thursday at #SDCC. Look what's up first!

Quote:

Thursday, July 24

10:00am
#FreeBabylon5: A Fan Campaign
Jan Schroeder (freebabylon5.com) and Jon Del Arroz (flyingsparkscomic.com) discuss a growing fan campaign that sprang up after J. Michael Straczynski tweeted the hashtag #FreeBabylon5 and urged fans to "get organized and loud" if Babylon 5 fandom is to grow. See what has been accomplished so far and help brainstorm what can be done in the future to promote this seminal science fiction show and bring it to new viewers.
Thursday July 24, 2014 10:00am - 11:00am
Room 29A
1: Programs, Fandom, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Web, Writers & Writing
Tags Fandom, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Web, Writers & Writing
Gulp.

Jan

Jan 07-11-2014 06:28 PM

Great News! There'll be more B5 programming at #SDCC than just #FreeBabylon5!!

Just found on the Friday Schedule:

Quote:

The Art of Babylon 5

Members of the iconic show's art department, under production designer John Iacovelli, with art director Mark-Louis Walters, art director Roland Rosenkranz, graphic artist Alan Kobayashi, and concept artist and set designer Timothy Earls, reunite to discuss how they were able to design 110 episodes over five years and six TV movies while keeping the sets fresh, exciting and, well, out of this world.

Friday July 25, 2014 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Room 23ABC
Hope to meet them and thank them for their work. Wish I could take my little C&C white model with me for John Iacovelli to autograph! Must think of a good script cover to take with me.... Any thoughts?

Jan

Looney 07-11-2014 11:04 PM

Yes I have thoughts . . . I would LOVE to meet all of them. :D

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HOW I WISH I COULD BE THERE FOR THAT ONE ! ! !

Go ahead and get all of their autographs for me. I'll trust your judgement on what to have them sign for me. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :D

BTW, What is the latest update on the funding goal?

Jan 07-12-2014 11:43 AM

Okay...I usually have a separate thread for JMS at SDCC but since it looks like BOTH of the JMS's are gonna be there, here's that other guy's panel. ;) :p

Quote:

Spotlight on J. Michael Straczynski

Comic-Con special guest JMS is having a Renaissance (much as the European Renaissance followed the Black Plague, but you didn't hear that from us). His Image-based imprint Joe's Comics has produced such titles as Dream Police, Sidekick, Ten Grand, and The Adventures of Apocalypse Al, alongside writing a Terminator maxiseries for Dark Horse and a Twilight Zone maxiseries for Dynamite. His new TV series Sense8 (written and produced with the Wachowskis) began filming this past June for Netflix via Studio JMS, and he has four new TV series in development, in addition to writing the new Shadowman movie for Valiant. Get the latest news on secret upcoming projects, a sneak peek into the production of Sense8, and other surprises.

Saturday July 26, 2014 5:30pm - 6:30pm
Room 7AB
Jan

babylonlurker 07-12-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 122481)
Okay...I usually have a separate thread for JMS at SDCC but since it looks like BOTH of the JMS's are gonna be there, here's that other guy's panel. ;) :p

Jan

Looks excellent ...

I hope I find some Youtube recordings after the con ...

Looney 07-12-2014 08:23 PM

So I was looking at the SDCC 2014 Schedule and how awesome is it that #FREEBABYLON5 is the first thing that every person who goes through the schedule sees?! WOW! :D

Anyway, I noticed something when I clicked on the link for the panel. Are there already 41 confirmed for the panel? Am I reading that right Jan? Two weeks away and there are already 41 people planning to be there? Seriously?! Two weeks away?! And apparently that is not counting people who keep their profiles private and all of the people who don't have profiles. That is just GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEAAAAATTTTT ! ! ! ! :D

Jan 07-12-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 122485)
So I was looking at the SDCC 2014 Schedule and how awesome is it that #FREEBABYLON5 is the first thing that every person who goes through the schedule sees?! WOW! :D

Ah, the power of the hashtag! After accidentally discovering how it would effect the schedule at Space City Con, I have to admit that I did this one deliberately when it came to naming the panel. ;)

Quote:

Anyway, I noticed something when I clicked on the link for the panel. Are there already 41 confirmed for the panel? Am I reading that right Jan? Two weeks away and there are already 41 people planning to be there? Seriously?! Two weeks away?! And apparently that is not counting people who keep their profiles private and all of the people who don't have profiles. That is just GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEAAAAATTTTT ! ! ! ! :D
I was just looking at that, too. Now, keep in mind that many people add more than one thing per time slot, I'm encouraged by this so early. Given that it's the first panel in the *furthest* possible room, I'll take all the encouragement I can get. Not complaining, mind. It's our first ever panel and I'm incredibly grateful that it was approved. But I'll admit to wondering how much it might cost to hire a brass band to lead people to us that morning. Or maybe getting a Starbucks right outside that panel room. :p

Jan

Jan 07-14-2014 05:39 PM

How to freak Jan out first thing in the work day.

I called the computer support lady who helps with our property management system. Nice lady - I talk to her several times a month. We've *never* discussed anything other than pleasantries and commonplaces, certainly not hobbies or outside interests.

Her: Hey, before we start, can I ask a dumb question?
Me: Sure, what's up?
Her: Are you by any chance doing a panel at Comic-Con later this month?
Me: :confused: :eek: :confused:

She's not going to the con but always wanted to and was looking at the schedule to see what was happening and recognized my name.

Surreal. Really surreal.

Jan

Looney 07-14-2014 08:17 PM

THAT IS AWESOME! What a great story. I love it when crazy stuff like that happens. :D