JMSNews Forums

JMSNews Forums (http://jmsnews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Babylon 5 (http://jmsnews.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Free Babylon 5! (http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27474)

Garibaldi's Hair 09-05-2013 04:02 AM

Side note ...

Just looking at that image of the B5 references, I don't remember the reference in Toy Story (whichever one). Can anyone remind me what it was.

Cheers,

Ubik 09-05-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garibaldi's Hair (Post 108270)
Side note ...

Just looking at that image of the B5 references, I don't remember the reference in Toy Story (whichever one). Can anyone remind me what it was.

Cheers,

Same here. I even googled it to ascertain what it was. No joy.

Sinclair's Fan 09-05-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 108091)
Sidebar: I miss the Conchords. Has anyone seen them on tour? My brother said they were great.

I haven't I'm afraid, but I do love that song. Reminds me of being a kid again, that era :) .

Anyone else got any ideas?

:D

Shabaz 09-05-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubik (Post 108285)
Same here. I even googled it to ascertain what it was. No joy.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/x-x-everywhere

I think it's actually a positive that super overplayed memes don't register for you guys though. :)

Ubik 09-05-2013 08:20 AM

I posted this to another thread, but am cross posting as it's definitely relevant. As Looney pointed out earlier, he initially found the whole campaign to be slightly counter intuitive as B5’s slip into obscurity would be beneficial to JMS reclaiming the TV rights. If WB ceased to have an interest in the property, if it really had been relegated to the sands of time; then they might be more inclined to sell up. So, the logic being that raising the profile again might hurt his chances.

I later read another thread where Jan quoted this re: JMS getting back the rights to B5 :

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMS
Originally Posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
We've been negotiating and trying to make this happen for over two years. Went from a promising start to bogging down and I don't think it'll happen at this stage.

Then it struck me, and it’s so simple that it hadn’t occurred to me until now.

Now, you'll have to forgive me if I’m stating the obvious here, but if JMS getting the TV rights to B5 is off the table, then the only way he has a hope in hell of doing something B5 related again would be to significantly raise the profile of the show. It would have to be enough to show WB that they have a lucrative property with a big fan base. Hence the tweets and FB posts rallying the fans. As I said, I may be stating the obvious here, but it does make a LOT of sense. It only just clicked for me!

So… carry on. I think B5 should be available to as many people as possible and there should definitely be a new generation of fans.

KoshN 09-05-2013 09:12 AM

Warner Brothers would never give up the TV rights, even if they considered the TV rights to be absolutely worthless and they had absolutely no interest in doing anything with B5 ever again. They'd keep 'em so that nobody else could do anything else with the show and potentially make them (Warner Brothers) look stupid.

It's the old Monkey-Nut-Jar thing. Warner Brothers is the monkey. B5 TV rights are the nut in the jar. The monkey has his fist around the nut in the jar, but can't get his fist out while holding the nut, and is unwilling to let it go.

valens_shadow 09-05-2013 09:19 AM

I want to know why Google isn't finding all the #freebabylon5 across the Internet?

KoshN 09-05-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valens_shadow (Post 108295)
I want to know why Google isn't finding all the #freebabylon5 across the Internet?

Is CAPS the problem? It's #FreeBabylon5

Jan 09-05-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubik (Post 108293)
Now, you'll have to forgive me if IÆm stating the obvious here, but if JMS getting the TV rights to B5 is off the table, then the only way he has a hope in hell of doing something B5 related again would be to significantly raise the profile of the show. It would have to be enough to show WB that they have a lucrative property with a big fan base. Hence the tweets and FB posts rallying the fans. As I said, I may be stating the obvious here, but it does make a LOT of sense. It only just clicked for me!

Pretty much. JMS still holds the rights to make a feature film. Only trouble is, in order to get financing other than via WB, he'd need to have the TV rights, too. Which means, though JMS *can* make a movie without WB, it's unlikely he'd be able to. It's still very much their ball.

Jan

Ubik 09-05-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 108300)
Pretty much. JMS still holds the rights to make a feature film. Only trouble is, in order to get financing other than via WB, he'd need to have the TV rights, too. Which means, though JMS *can* make a movie without WB, it's unlikely he'd be able to. It's still very much their ball.

Jan

It just goes round in circles doesn't it! Frustrating. I can't imagine how Joe feels!

KoshN 09-05-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubik (Post 108301)
It just goes round in circles doesn't it! Frustrating. I can't imagine how Joe feels!

Joe, us, Charlie Brown. ;) We've got to get that damned monkey to let it go, turn over the frickin' jar and play ball.

Jan 09-06-2013 09:31 AM

Mac, you're either going to love this one or hate it:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...0&postcount=22

I think it's a great inside joke.

We've got 2,152 'Likes' on the Facebook page!!

I've ordered some buttons that I'm going to try to have available for New York Comic-Con. Anybody from here going to be going?

Later today I'm going to be starting some auctions to help defray costs. While there's lots of wonderful Rangers volunteering, web domains and buttons and things cost money and I'm pretty strapped right now. Stay tuned for Cool Stuff.

And...hardly anybody can come up with contact info for TV stations that might be good candidates for reruns? US, European, anywhere, I'm wanting a BIG list of possibilities for people to write to show their interest.

Jan

KoshN 09-06-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 108416)
Mac, you're either going to love this one or hate it:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...0&postcount=22

I think it's a great inside joke.

Jan

LOVE IT. I'm a BIG "Peanuts".fan, and hey, it's ABSOLUTELY TRUE. I saved it to my phone and PC. :D :cool:

What it means is that Charlie Brown does NOT give up. IIRC, one time, he did kick the ball. Personally, I'd hoped that one time he would have missed the ball and kicked Lucy to the moon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 108416)
And...hardly anybody can come up with contact info for TV stations that might be good candidates for reruns? US, European, anywhere, I'm wanting a BIG list of possibilities for people to write to show their interest.

Jan

You wanted LOCAL STATIONS? I thought we were going after the parent NETWORKS to carry B5 on ALL of their affiliates.

Jan 09-06-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 108417)
You wanted LOCAL STATIONS? I thought we were going after the parent NETWORKS to carry B5 on ALL of their affiliates.

Any and all, everywhere. We want to be LOUD, after all. ;)

Jan

Jan 09-06-2013 02:36 PM

Sorry to duplicate but since this is applicable... I've got some auctions going to raise money for the expenses so far for #FreeBabylon5. http://www.ebay.com/sch/janmschroede..._sop=12&_rdc=1

I'm hoping/expecting to have a 'donate' button on the website when it's fully operational, too.

Jan

babylonlurker 09-07-2013 01:04 AM

My little contribution :

"Who are you ?"
"A Lurker"
"What do you want ?"
"Babylon 5 on TV"
"Why are you here ?"
"To make that happen"
"Where are you going ?"
"Anywhere I have to"

#FreeBabylon5

;)

Jan 09-08-2013 10:16 AM

Just posted this on another site and it's also applicable here.

For those who are wanting Babylon 5 streaming...I think this is interesting and kind of makes my point for me:

It turns out that B5 is available to buy and download from Amazon.com and also Seasons 2-4 are available to buy and download via YouTube as of last week (Coincidence? Who knows....). And yet nobody on any site where I've been talking about this campaign ever mentioned either even though many people jumped on the 'make it available to stream' bandwagon. So my point about potential viewers having to know to go look for Babylon 5 stands. Sure, Netflix would be a better source but it appears that episodes are widely available, albeit at a price each and perhaps only in the US, *if* you know where to look.

ETA: Non-USians, would you mind checking out Amazon and YouTube in your areas and getting back to me about possible availability in your regions?

Jan

Ubik 09-08-2013 11:05 AM

Nothing on YouTube here in the UK, not in any official capacity at least.

Amazon is only physical copies of the box sets. It is available in full on iTunes at roughly £15 for per season, or a cheap per episode rate.

I think it's all about getting it on Netflix, which seems to be the most widely used service by people I know. If we could achieve that in tandem with Sense8 launching, can you imagine the exposure.

"Did you love Sense8? Also from JMS, the epic saga Babylon 5.. now streaming on Netflix"

JoeD80 09-08-2013 11:08 AM

Oh I had seen it on amazon.

Amazon, itunes and vudu are the sites where it is available for to buy episode-by-episode.

The youtube one is new.

Only itunes has all five seasons.

(This in the US)

Jan 09-08-2013 11:38 AM

JoeD80,

Can you post links for the ones I hadn't mentioned? I'm afraid I'm getting punchy. Thanks.

Jan

JoeD80 09-08-2013 12:12 PM

Vudu:

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content...on-5-TV-Series

itunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...-1/id168268569

amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I8JD7K/

sandra 09-08-2013 12:46 PM

Trying to be hopeful

None of the following are available here in Canada:
  • Amazon Instant Video
  • The WB
  • B5 YouTube channel

Seasons 1-5 plus The Lost Tales are available in the Canadian iTunes store. That's fairly new. When I looked a couple of months ago they weren't there.

Even though I feel once removed again than people in the USA when it comes to being hopeful of getting it back in the 'mainstream' here, I'm still trying to do the little bits I can with Twitter and some info bits here and there because I want to help it get back into JMS' hands. Who knows what might happen then? Maybe even new content?!? But I know we're not going there yet. :rolleyes:

Side thought: I'm not much of a DVD type person. B5 are the only DVDs that I have. :)

Edit:
Something interesting:
For WB or anyone else wanting to know how much interest there is in B5. I see an 'unofficial' The Lost Tales video on YouTube that was uploaded on Jun 24/13. That is 76 days ago. Between then and now it has been viewed 26,661 times, which means it has been watched 350 times a day, every day.

Ubik 09-09-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandra (Post 108607)
Something interesting:

For WB or anyone else wanting to know how much interest there is in B5. I see an 'unofficial' The Lost Tales video on YouTube that was uploaded on Jun 24/13. That is 76 days ago. Between then and now it has been viewed 26,661 times, which means it has been watched 350 times a day, every day.

That, in itself, is quite impressive. It would be interesting to know how B5 ranks in torrent downloads. Plenty of arthouse / small time film directors of late have been known to actively encourage the use of torrents. The logic being that, a certian percentage of those people will go out and buy the film if they like it.

I believe studios do pay attention to trends in terms of (illegal) downloads. I think Game of Thrones broke all kinds of illicit download records, which did make for good news and publicity. Many of those same people that torrent it will go out and buy the box sets and merch. Big studios may not like it, but it IS an indication of popularity and does help spread the word about a show where it may not be available via other means.

We are now dealing with a new generation of viewers who have less interset in physical format (DVDs, etc), and even broadcast television. Everything is experienced via their home computer, mobile phone or tablet device. The vast majoriy of people I know get their TV from torrents if they can't get it on their preferred streaming service (Netflix, Lovefilm, etc). This, in itself, is worth considering. Consumption patterns are different, and I find people want instant access to whole seasons at once.

To cite another pertinent example, the new episodes of Breaking Bad are appearing on UK Netflix as they air in the USA, because otherwise people would just torrent them the day after they air. These kind of online trends in consumption are absolutely worth noting. What that means for bringing B5 back into the mainstream... I guess we need to ensure it's everywhere. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but Netflix is absolutely essential. It's where people go for their 'binge viewing' of serial TV.

I haven't owned a TV for 3 years and I'm not alone in that trend.

cornholio1980 09-09-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 108594)
For those who are wanting Babylon 5 streaming...I think this is interesting and kind of makes my point for me:

The "problem" with all those services, though, is that you have to pay in order to watch. AFAIK, as long as you pay for Netflix, you can watch whatever is on there. I am from Austria, we don't get Netflix over here, but even I know lots and lots of people who are using it in the US; for many it's simply their preferred way of watching TV. You won't get those when you find a broadcaster that'll show it. Also, don't forget that finding a broadcasting company is not the answer per se. It also depends on how widely the channel is available (and how many people are watching it), and when it is shown (a showing in the morning or late at night probably won't do us much good, at least not when it's about getting new people hooked on the show).

Look, all I'm saying is that I do believe that getting it on Netflix is important, and just because it's available on iTunes f.e., I wouldn't completely abandon trying to get it there.

As far as Austria/Germany is concerned: You can buy a pretty cheap complete DVD box set featuring everything from "The Gathering" to "THe Lost Tales", excluding "Crusade" (it's € 74,- at the moment on amazon.de, but a couple of weeks back you could get it for as little as € 55,- if I recall correctly). However, it's not available digital on amazon, and AFAIK also on no other streaming services (we don't have somthing like Hulu over here, but lots and lots of smaller services, so I guess it would be possible that I'm missing something here). As far as iTunes is concerned, I only see five of the TV movies available right now (In the Beginning, Thirdspace, River of Souls, A Call to Arms, Legend of the Rangers). However, I usually don't use iTunes, so I might have done something wrong :o.

Oh, and BTW:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubik (Post 108668)
Consumption patterns are different, and I find people want instant access to whole seasons at once.

This. Exactly my thoughts. If we want to try to get the "next generation" hooked on B5, the younger crowds, we probably won't be able to reach them with "regular" television.

Jan 09-09-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornholio1980 (Post 108677)
If we want to try to get the "next generation" hooked on B5, the younger crowds, we probably won't be able to reach them with "regular" television.

And the 'next generation' is certainly a demographic we want. But it wouldn't make sense to concentrate on only one.

I don't discount the numbers of folks who have Netflix by any means. But there are also millions and millions of people like me who want to watch TV *on* TV. For me, it'll be a while before the meld of computer and TV reaches the level I would want.

But the point's made. Now...what would be the plan of action to get WB to move B5 to Netlix/Hulu/whatever instead of selling it by the episode or season the way it's being done. Some have suggested everybody doing massive searches for it on those services and that's fine, and definitely something to do. But that's not going to help persuade WB. Thoughts?

Jan

Ubik 09-09-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornholio1980 (Post 108677)
The "problem" with all those services, though, is that you have to pay in order to watch.

Here's the thing. Netflix costs £5.99 a month, so £71.88 per year. A TV license in the UK costs £149 per year. Because I don't watch broadcast / live TV, I don't pay for a TV license. So I save about £77 per year. No one could convince me to go back to broadcast or satellite TV. I’m speaking from from both a financial and a convenience point of view. My mother owns a ‘smart TV’, which comes with access to many online streaming services. At Christmas we used Netflix more than we watched regular TV. Now she uses it all the time.

I can still use a large HD monitor which has resolutions better than most TVs, and costs half the price. I can access pretty much anything I want to watch. But, before I get too carried away, I’ll back off a bit because this isn't a debate about online TV vs. conventional TV. It's about what’s best in terms of getting B5 back into the mainstream consciousness. I there should be just as much focus on streaming services, because they are just as important as broadcast TV now, perhaps EVEN MORE so in the next few years. For the next generation of viewers, being broadcast on TV isn’t really isn’t that important. I think we’d be doing B5 a disservice to think otherwise.

If WB wants to push its own streaming service, then perhaps they won't go back to Netflix. But, the way things are going Netflix IS shaping up to be the dominant delivery service for online TV and films. They are even comissioning their own content (Sense8, Arrested Developement). In time, that may change WBs minds back again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 108678)
And the 'next generation' is certainly a demographic we want. But it wouldn't make sense to concentrate on only one. I don't discount the numbers of folks who have Netflix by any means. But there are also millions and millions of people like me who want to watch TV *on* TV. For me, it'll be a while before the meld of computer and TV reaches the level I would want.

Totally agree, we have to focus on both. Perhaps this is something us folks outside the USA can concentrate on?

Quote:

But the point's made. Now...what would be the plan of action to get WB to move B5 to Netlix/Hulu/whatever instead of selling it by the episode or season the way it's being done. Some have suggested everybody doing massive searches for it on those services and that's fine, and definitely something to do. But that's not going to help persuade WB. Thoughts?

It would definitely be worth getting everyone who has a Netflix account to do a search for B5. That will show up on their search trend reports.

I also occasionally close my Netflix account, when they don’t have anything new that I want to watch. I then re-open it a month or two later when they do. It’s a ‘one click’ thing and easily done. When I close it off it allows you to leave a message as to why you are leaving. I always put something along the lines of ‘please get Babylon 5 back on your streaming catalogue’. If we could orchestrate users to close their accounts en-masse leaving just such a message (with the #FreeBabylon5). It would still send a strong message to their customer service teams. They can re-open their accounts a day later, or an hour later if they so wish. It would still get the job done.

Does anyone know why B5 was pulled from Netflix? Was that a WB or Netflix decision? All these things are important factors is we are to campaign effectively.

Jan 09-09-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubik (Post 108680)
Does anyone know why B5 was pulled from Netflix? Was that a WB or Netflix decision? All these things are important factors is we are to campaign effectively.

Not that I've ever heard and I don't see that it's anything we're likely to be able to find out for sure. My feeling is that it goes back to what JMS has said about WB using it to drive 'new' technologies rather than wanting to make it widely available. Strange and obscure are the ways of Warner Bros.

Ubik, that's a great idea about the non-USians concentrating on the streaming services. But I think it would also be easier for y'all to get B5 back on TV since it's generally been available outside of the US much more recently.

Jan

cornholio1980 09-09-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

And the 'next generation' is certainly a demographic we want. But it wouldn't make sense to concentrate on only one.

I totally agree. I didn't mean to say that we should only concentrate our efforts on Netflix. I just wanted to make sure that it's not forgotten ;).

JoeD80 09-09-2013 01:57 PM

Joe's point about getting to TV is not about skipping streaming and "the next generation" of viewers. It's that many people channel surf and can find the show that way. e.g. Star Trek exists on many streaming services, but it also runs on TV ad nauseum. TNG, DS9, Voyager, etc. People end up watching the show or recording it on their DVR when they see it, perhaps sampling it as a one-off "what might this show be like?" Later they can track it down on Netflix or whatever. TV presence raises visibility.

Ubik 09-09-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeD80 (Post 108686)
Joe's point about getting to TV is not about skipping streaming and "the next generation" of viewers. It's that many people channel surf and can find the show that way. e.g. Star Trek exists on many streaming services, but it also runs on TV ad nauseum. TNG, DS9, Voyager, etc. People end up watching the show or recording it on their DVR when they see it, perhaps sampling it as a one-off "what might this show be like?" Later they can track it down on Netflix or whatever. TV presence raises visibility.

Absolutely, and I concur 100%. But if B5 is not on popular streaming sites in the first place, it becomes more difficult for people wanting to see a whole bunch of episodes in sequence. Especially given the nature of the long arc that sits at the core of B5.

Both are essential to bring in new viewers.

Ranger 6 and 7/8 09-09-2013 07:17 PM

hey everyone,
If you have a Netflix account, please take a sec and go to the "contact us" section and start a chat. Ask in your own way when B5 will be available for streaming again and let them know you want it noted that you want to be notified when B5 will be back on the streaming platform. after you finish your discussion, they will have you to hold for a 1 question survey. Before you check Yes or No, below the question is a box asking if you want an e-mail of your discussion sent to you. Check it and you will have a copy of your conversation.

I don't know, Jan, you think this would be something we could pool and show how much support we are giving, through Netflix at least?

on a side note, the selfish side of me also asked for Captain Power.....for the kids of course.....

babylonlurker 09-10-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger 6 and 7/8 (Post 108693)
hey everyone,
If you have a Netflix account, please take a sec and go to the "contact us" section and start a chat. Ask in your own way when B5 will be available for streaming again . . .

I don't know, Jan, you think this would be something we could pool and show how much support we are giving, through Netflix at least?

I would participate in a campaign like that - if Netflix were available to me where I live.

Sinclair's Fan 09-10-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan (Post 108030)
I've asked the Missus and friends to add us to their facebooks, and I will try to get in touch with the station that first aired B5 in the UK, (I'm in the UK's broadcast range). They have a sister channel aimed at teenagers, where they broadcast 'Charmed', believe it or not my Mum's fave TV show! If they can broadcast a fantasy show produced at roughly the same time as B5, then surely they've got room (on their main channel or their teen version) for repeats of B5....

:D:D:D

Letter to Channel 4 (and E4) in the United Kingdom sent. I'm gonna be away for a few days, so IF I get a response, I'll let you know once I'm back online.

Fingers-crossed!

(From channel4.com 's FAQ page...)

The Channel 4 Headquarters building is at 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX
However, if you want to comment or enquire about a programme by letter, please write to Channel 4 Enquiries, PO Box 1058, Belfast BT1 9DU

(...there's an online enquiry form too, if preferred.)

Jan 09-10-2013 08:40 AM

Excellent, thanks Sinclair's Fan!

Jan

Sinclair's Fan 09-10-2013 08:47 AM

Oh yeah, just a thought; do we know anyone who can make car bumper stickers? Maybe we could raise funds by selling some.

The reason I mention this is because the other day I past a girl in a bright pink car whose bumper sticker said "Powered by Fairy Dust...", and I thought, "Ha! I should have one that says 'Powered by Quantium 40' with a little B5 logo...", and then I thought, "Waitaminute, that's not a bad idea...!"

You could have Narn ones, Centauri ones..., personally I've always been fond of the EA Academy logo and Babylon 4, too.

What do ya reckon, gang? Would we need permission to say "Quantium 40"? Logos might pose a problem, too... :confused:

Just an idea. :D

valens_shadow 09-10-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan (Post 108711)
Letter to Channel 4 (and E4) in the United Kingdom sent. I'm gonna be away for a few days, so IF I get a response, I'll let you know once I'm back online.

Fingers-crossed!

(From channel4.com 's FAQ page...)

The Channel 4 Headquarters building is at 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX
However, if you want to comment or enquire about a programme by letter, please write to Channel 4 Enquiries, PO Box 1058, Belfast BT1 9DU

(...there's an online enquiry form too, if preferred.)

I wonder if actually sending a letter would be better (not just in the UK but worldwide) so that more people get exposed to #Freebabylon5 which could be written on every envelope.

Sinclair's Fan 09-10-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 108720)
Excellent, thanks Sinclair's Fan!

Jan

You're more than welcome, Jan! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by valens_shadow (Post 108722)
I wonder if actually sending a letter would be better (not just in the UK but worldwide) so that more people get exposed to #Freebabylon5 which could be written on every envelope.

Oh, that reminds me; I was sure to add the details of the facebook page and the hash-tag, (is that what it's called? Modern interweb do-hickey...), to the bottom of the letter. Here's hoping!

See ya soon!

valens_shadow 09-11-2013 09:36 AM

pebbles #freebabylon5 http://i40.tinypic.com/n15ug4.jpg

Ubik 09-11-2013 11:06 AM

Brilliant!

I wonder if it's worth more of us UK fans sending letters / emails to Channel 4? I guess there'd need to be a good number of us for a letter writing campaign to be taken seriously. In short, we need to be organised!

Jan 09-11-2013 08:11 PM

And...we've reached 2,500 'Likes' on the Facebook page in only 9 days!

Not bad. Not bad at all...

Jan