Thread: Free Babylon 5!
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 AM

Free Babylon 5!

Interesting group of posts over on Twitter a little while ago. This was sparked after several people pointed out that Babylon 5 got a prominent mention on 'Breaking Bad' last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
Babylon 5 mentioned in tonight's Breaking Bad. Between this and Big Bang Theory we have apparently become the nerd version of Jeopardy.
Quote:
Honestly, if fans want the original Babylon 5 back on the air as more than an obscure reference, then y'all need to get organized and loud.
Quote:
Honestly, if fans want the original Babylon 5 back on the air as more than an obscure reference, then y'all need to get organized and loud.
Quote:
"@______ Was that a rallying cry by any remote chance?" Who, me?
Quote:
Some days I think the "Free Mars!" campaign should now be "Free Babylon 5!"
In response, somebody asked if it were trapped?

Quote:
@leedargue As a matter of fact, yes.
A UK fan mentioned that it's still on TV and popular there.

Quote:
@philyburkhill And it's one of the few SF shows of that period that's NOT on in the US and hasn't been for nearly ten years.
Another fan asked if DVDsales reduce rerun demand.

Quote:
@_______ Not in this case, at this late remove.
Quote:
Ain't never gonna be sufficient heat for any new B5 as long as the original sits on a shelf gathering dust instead of viewers. #FreeBabylon5
(Yes, folks, JMS created a hashtag!)

So...lets discuss this. But I don't want it to be a discussion of what we'd like to see if there's ever new B5, let's keep it to how - and where - we should campaign for B5 reruns.

Where:
- SyFy channel is the obvious one.
- Science channel is less obvious but given that B5 has more real science than Firefly, this might be a good fit.
- What about other channels higher up the cable listing? Veronica Mars is in reruns on the Soap channel. What might be a fit, however stretched, for B5?

How:

- I'm thinking that we need to tell WB that we want them to feature it on Netfix or other streaming sites AND approach channels to ask to buy it in reruns.
- We all know a bunch of sites where B5 is still discussed and loved. We can all post about a campaign there.
- We can start a FB page. And a gathering place on Google+
- At some point we'll want to go to the press perhaps. But that may a ways in the future.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Jan