View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the thoughtfulness, Alpha.

Naturally, it's up to DougO what he wants to do as far as bots/spammers but since cleaning up the spam if they post is my job, I have to say I'm very happy with the 'honey trap' (I think that's what it's called) set-up we have now. Just speaking for myself, I don't care if bots register as long as they don't disrupt the forums. I think since the trap was put in place we've had fewer than a handful of spam postings and those were all 'members' who'd joined before it was in place. Before that it was upwards of 300 spam posts every single day.

While I'm sure you're right that many thousands of the registered names are bots or garden variety spammers, another sad fact is that many people register, even post their introduction and then never post again. Never figured out why anybody'd want to do that but there it is. We who post are a spectator sport!

Thanks again.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017