JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > TV Series

Old 10-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Star Trek Discovery

Just watched Ep.3, and it's a massive improvement on the opening double episode. After the somewhat forced pomp and setup for the opening episodes I went into this one very cynical, and by the end of the ep, I found myself quite enjoying it. If this is the show going forward, I'm on board.

In fact, I'd venture to say that some of the writing reminded me a little of B5, it wasn't quite the grim and dark ST I was expecting to see, and I instantly liked some of the supporting cast. Tilly was kinda adorably by the end of the ep, and I think Saru has massive potential and I really dig the make up. The Alice in Wonderland references made me think of JMS / B5, it just seems like the kind of thing the show would have done. I just get that vibe...

Jury is out on Gabriel Lorca (captain), but I like that his character is not black and white thus far. If anything we are definitely meant to distrust him right now.

Some cool concepts (the mycelium) and ambiguous characters. Anyone else got any thoughts? Showing promise now.... It's definitely different from any previous Trek shows in tone.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 10-02-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Confirmed User

I'm enjoying it. Sonequa was terrible on The Walking Dead, but she's a good fit here, and I like that it's a fully realized production with a story to tell. I don't know if I'll like that story, but I'm pleased to see it's not all amateurish and aww-shucks like Voyager and Enterprise. Lots of potential here -- I'll go along for the ride.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Ep. 4.... very good!

Did anyone else see the navigator thing coming? Cool idea, I had it pegged during the first half of the episode.

I am also seeing a few clear arcs emerging, and I love it. Trek with proper character arcs. Nice to see it come into the modern age! It's faring far better than I could have hoped based on the lacklustre pilot. It's been a while since we've had a good old SF 'ship show', so I'm down with this.

Last edited by Ubik; 10-10-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Ep5. Continues to be solid. Isn't the grim-dark show I feared it would be. Some lighter moments remind me of B5. Thumbs up. Also a nice 'diversity' reveal that was done really tastefully.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:11 AM
Vorlon Visitor

I can't be the only one watching this? Surely?

Seen quite a lot of hate from the traditional Trek crowd, but personally I am glad it is doing its own thing. Another 'Enterprise', as watchable as some of that was, would not have cut the mustard.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Confirmed User

I'm still watching. Episode 5 was the best so far. Characters started branching out from being raging assholes to actually doing some redeeming things. My biggest gripe with the show wasn't that it's dark, but that everyone on that ship is a jerk who makes stupid decisions to push the plot forward. 5 episodes in, and we've already had 2 major characters die because they refused to listen to Burnham and a 3rd who didn't die but just made an ass of himself. This was the problem Voyager had. Instead of making Janeway strong and consistent, they wrote everyone else on the ship as a moron. Burnham needs strong adversaries to be strong herself. Spore Guy is a good start (I can't remember any of these characters' names).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: