JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Confirmed User

Oh that is not the first time we've been reduced to a punchline. I don't recall specific examples, but Babylon 5 has been used as the punchline for a few shows and movies I've seen in the past.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 PM

Well, as a certain Captain we're all fond of has been known to say, "Enough is enough." Face it, we'll never be able to compete with Trek, or even Firefly fans for numbers. But we're a passionate bunch.

Jan
Old 09-02-2013, 01:32 PM

I've created a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FreeBabylon5

#FreeBabylon5!

Jan
Old 09-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Rampantly Irresponsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
It used to be on Hulu and WB took it away to use on their competing "thewb.tv" streaming service instead.
Does the thewb.tv have an app for Roku devices or something similar for TVs or does it strictly stream to computers?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Vorlon Technomage

So, shouldn't we indicate support by using the #FreeBabylon5 hashtag and tweeting like HELL???

I'm not a frequent Twitter user and don't really understand it (e.g. who sees what I post, or how hashtags work), but I (‏@MacBreck) just put up two tweets:

#FreeBabylon5

and

#FreeBabylon5 We NEED Crusade continued and completed, and the story of THE TELEPATH WAR to be TOLD!!!
JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
Babylon 5 is the football.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Vorlon Technomage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I've created a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FreeBabylon5

#FreeBabylon5!

Jan
I just saw this thread and cross-pollinated it into b5tv.com .
Old 09-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Confirmed User

"Enough is enough!"
Yes, I'm afraid B5 and it's fans have been slagged-off since day one. I remember back in the wayback-when, one particular magazine constantly referred to us "constipated B5 fans"..., WTF does that even mean?! Unimportant, nevermind.

To reiterate my earlier question, if a campaign were succesfull, would JMS give us some new product? The reason I ask is; after WB screwed him over on the budget for The Lost Tales, JMS said he wouldn't bring B5 back unless it was as a huge, multi-million dollar blockbuster feature film....

Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Vorlon Technomage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan View Post
"Enough is enough!"
Yes, I'm afraid B5 and it's fans have been slagged-off since day one. I remember back in the wayback-when, one particular magazine constantly referred to us "constipated B5 fans"..., WTF does that even mean?! Unimportant, nevermind.

To reiterate my earlier question, if a campaign were succesfull, would JMS give us some new product? The reason I ask is; after WB screwed him over on the budget for The Lost Tales, JMS said he wouldn't bring B5 back unless it was as a huge, multi-million dollar blockbuster feature film....

What can it hurt to try? Use the #FreeBabylon5 hashtag on twitter and ask for continuation/reboot of BABYLON 5: CRUSADE (a continuation with largely the same actors, OR a retelling of what we got with a new or partially new cast, OR even a complete reboot of the story the way JMS wanted to do it before the Drakh plague was forced upon him, with a new or partially new cast.), AND telling of THE TELEPATH WAR.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
What can it hurt to try? Use the #FreeBabylon5 hashtag on twitter.
I'll pass these details on to my friends for ya. I'm not on twitter..., or any of those 'social' networking sites, for that matter..., but I know others who are.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
'Cause I had the same reaction to the Breaking Bad reference as it seems JMS did. We've been reduced to a punchline, and I don't like that.
Well the same characters referenced were talking about original series Star Trek in the previous episode (and mentioned Voyager). I thought that it was a nice shout-out - being mentioned at all is more acknowledgment than WB has given the show lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frulad View Post
Does the thewb.tv have an app for Roku devices or something similar for TVs or does it strictly stream to computers?
Dunno. I never liked their service that much, and they like to rotate episodes in and out rather than always keeping them available. (Sorry it was thewb.com)
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 PM

I agree, tweeting up a storm is a good idea. But I caution everybody not to get scattered in our mission. FIRST we need to get WB to bring the existing product out of mothballs. THEN we need to ask for new stuff - mainly through JMS.

Quote:
...after WB screwed him over on the budget for The Lost Tales, JMS said he wouldn't bring B5 back unless it was as a huge, multi-million dollar blockbuster feature film....
That's been changed to include TV. But a sufficient budget and total creative control are still requirements.

Jan
Old 09-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Vorlon Technomage

Quote:
I agree, tweeting up a storm is a good idea. But I caution everybody not to get scattered in our mission. FIRST we need to get WB to bring the existing product out of mothballs. THEN we need to ask for new stuff - mainly through JMS.

That's been changed to include TV. But a sufficient budget and total creative control are still requirements.

Jan
HOW CAN Warner Brothers "bring the existing product out of mothballs" other than to air it on The CW or (spit! ) TNT, the only networks in which they have influence? What are they supposed to do, shop it (old B5 reruns) around for interest? Cut the price of the rerun license? The latter is probably something that would send Warner Brothers suits and accountants into alternating fits of laughter or hysteria/panic or cause heart attacks.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
HOW CAN Warner Brothers "bring the existing product out of mothballs" other than to air it on The CW or (spit! ) TNT, the only networks in which they have influence? What are they supposed to do, shop it (old B5 reruns) around for interest? Cut the price of the rerun license? The latter is probably something that would send Warner Brothers suits and accountants into alternating fits of laughter or hysteria/panic or cause heart attacks.
Mac, that's the whole point of this campaign. To get channels interested in airing Babylon 5. Why not the Science Channel? They aired Firefly to good ratings. Or the SyFy (or however they're spelling it this week) channel where it did air before.

This needs to be focused on getting the show back to being available to be discovered.

So...from now on, please post your *ideas* for contacting the networks and streaming services and WB. We know you're bitter about the past but you either need to set that aside of just don't get involved at all.

Jan
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Vorlon Technomage

Quote:
Mac, that's the whole point of this campaign. To get channels interested in airing Babylon 5. Why not the Science Channel? They aired Firefly to good ratings. Or the SyFy (or however they're spelling it this week) channel where it did air before.

This needs to be focused on getting the show back to being available to be discovered.

So...from now on, please post your *ideas* for contacting the networks and streaming services and WB. We know you're bitter about the past but you either need to set that aside of just don't get involved at all.

Jan
I think we should be asking for more than JUST reruns. We should also focus on resolving the CRUSADE and TELEPATH WAR dangling threads.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Duplicating a post on the FB page. Can folks go out and find the official FB pages and Twitter feeds and post them here? That way we can spread them around and people can ask them to consider re-running Babylon 5.

Thanks!!

Jan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: