JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Comics

Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Noted the TPB has just been solicited. I'll definitely be catching up with this title that way!

Kosh: Good!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
Just blown away by the first 6 issues.

One question - Jehoel whom Joe frees in issue 6 looks like the angel at the end of issue 2 who is making Brother James do all these terrible things to Joe. Do you think he is?
Given what we find out about Jehoel in issue #7, it must have been some other angel in issue 2. Issue #7 is another wild voyage. There appear to be wheels in wheels.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:45 AM

JMS is in Iceland right now (scouting Sense8 locations) but he posted this preview for Ten Grand:

http://buzzcomics.net/showthread.php...31#post1477331

All I can say, is wow!

Jan
Old 03-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Confirmed User

Just found Ten Grand Volume 1 TPB in Brussels. And very reasonably priced too.
A pity it was the only Straczynski comic in the shop.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 PM

Are you able to ask for them to order titles for you? Or do you prefer to wait for the trade paperbacks? He's got some great books coming out these days!

Jan
Old 03-19-2014, 04:36 AM
Confirmed User

Only TPB's if I'm lucky.
Maybe if I try waterstones...
Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMonk View Post
Only TPB's if I'm lucky.
Maybe if I try waterstones...
If you don't mind feeding the corporate giant, Amazon UK is really good for TPBs. Postage should be relatively cheap too.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Just finished the new Ten Grand.

Man, JMS isn't gentle with his characters, is he? Once again Joe Fitzgerald has an incredible decision to make and makes it unhesitatingly. I kind of wonder, though...is it a coincidence that the question is phrased *exactly* the way the first one was? Hmmm...

Now I've gotta wait a whole month!!

Jan
Old 09-27-2014, 04:26 AM

On Twitter, JMS was asked if there will be another series of Ten Grand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
Yeah. We'll rest it a bit, figure out what we want to do with year two then move when we have a backlog of scripts and art
Yay!

Jan
Old 01-17-2015, 06:15 PM

Can't say that Ten Grand had a happy ending but it was satisfying on more than one level. Happy to see in the 'Joe's Counter' page that it was restated that there will be more stories with Joe Firzgerald.

JMS tweeted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
‏@straczynski
Monday is the last day to pre-order vol 2 of Ten Grand, finishing the 12 issue first arc. (You can also order v1)
This is a title I definitely want in trade.

Jan
Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Anybody read the latest issue yet? What do you think of the new art?

I'll admit to being torn. I really like CP Smith's scenery and backgrounds a lot and the colors worked for me, too. But by the end of the issue I was seriously disliking Joe Fitzgerald's face. There's no character, no feeling there at all. No lines on his face, no expressions except grimaces and kind of a blank look. I got more of a sense of feeling from Charon the skeleton than I did from Joe. There weren't many people in this issue so I can't tell yet if this is simply the way this artist draws people. But I'm so used to artists JMS chooses being able to depict a wide range and especially subtle emotions that this is a bit of a shock.

Maybe it's just that I'm not used to it yet. Thoughts?

Jan
I finally got a chance to finish this today, and overall, I really enjoyed the story. I do agree with you on the art, though. It was very difficult for me to remain immersed in the second half of the story, because all I could think about was how Smith's art completely paled in comparison to what Templesmith had originated. I don't know Smith's work and am certainly not going to criticize him for what had to be an incredibly difficult task, but I have to say that TEN GRAND suffered dearly from Templesmith's inability to complete his job. He created a sinister landscape and dark characterizations through his art, and Smith was unable to tap into that when he took over. I definitely lost focus when JMS had to literally tell us that one of the character was Brother James, because there was no way in Hell (pun intended) that we could figure it out from the art. And Laura went from this kinda-awkward-kinda-pretty-definitely-seen-some-shit realistic girl to this big-titty Disney princess.

I dunno. I just grew more and more frustrated with the art, and it made me really sad, because I was loving this comic. And I felt like the story lost a lot of momentum toward the end and became really talky, but I don't know if I felt that way because of the writing or the art. Oh well. Still a cool book. I'd recommend it.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 AM

I did like the way there was some switching of artists and re-use of the original artist's work at the end.

I really wish this story had gone up for an Eisner but the nominations just came out and JMS isn't on the list anywhere. Booo!! I thought that Ten Grand, Superman Earth One V3 and Twilight Zone at least should have gotten nods and maybe even Apocalypse Al and Dream Police.

Jan
Old 04-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I really wish this story had gone up for an Eisner but the nominations just came out and JMS isn't on the list anywhere. Booo!! I thought that Ten Grand, Superman Earth One V3 and Twilight Zone at least should have gotten nods and maybe even Apocalypse Al and Dream Police.

Jan
Sadly, I though Superman Earth One V3 was far from Eisner material. Definitely not JMS best work by a long shot. See my comments in the Earth One thread for more detail, but it felt really lacking to me. Almost a bit rushed and not thought through, which is odd given how much JMS adores Supes.

Tags
ben templesmith, jms, joe's comics, ten grand 1 review

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: