JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Comics

Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Confirmed User

I have read issue one and issue two so am posting (plus Lt. Jan asked me nicely)

Issue one, woah, I didn
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Last edited by phazedout; 12-07-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: forum cut post off
Old 03-31-2014, 07:42 PM

Here's a link to preview pages of Sidekick #6 with the ominous title "Now We Get Serious".

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=20994

Jan
Old 05-10-2014, 02:27 PM

JMS linked to a nice review of the trade paperback of issues 1-6 of Sidekick:

http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs...age+Partial%29

I picked it up and want to read the whole thing straight through.

Jan
Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 PM

Sidekick #8 where Barry Chase is well and truly now a super-villain and starting to close in on his former mentor. I can't see how this is going to have anything but a tragic ending but I'm aboard till the end.

AND there's a preview of the next issue titled "A Moment of Silence" which will be dialogue-free. The preview of the cover for #9 is also pretty stunning.

Jan
Old 03-11-2015, 06:41 PM

Haven't been back here for a while. I loved the silent issue!

Preview pages for issue #10 that just came out today:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...ge-comics-2015

And at the end it says "To be concluded" so it looks like #11 may be the final issue. If the Image site is accurate (often not), #11 will be coming out on April 8.

And I'll finally be able to stop peeking at this story through my fingers - afraid to see what's next but not able to stop looking.

Jan
Old 03-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Ah, JMS tweeted a clarification of the "To Be Concluded" message at the end of Sidekick #10:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
Hey: to reduce confusion, which is my fault, Sidekick 10's "to be concluded" refers to a two part finale, so there's still 12 issues.
The Image site shows that Sidekick #11 should be out on April 8.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/sidekick-11

Don't know if he'll answer but I tweeted the question if there was *any* hope of salvation for Barry. I'll let you know if he replies.

ETA: While all replies are answers, not all answers are replies...seems I've heard that before....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
@JanMSchroeder Depends on what your view of redemption is.
He does cryptic so well!

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 03-18-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:02 AM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Ah, JMS tweeted a clarification of the "To Be Concluded" message at the end of Sidekick #10:

The Image site shows that Sidekick #11 should be out on April 8.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/sidekick-11

Don't know if he'll answer but I tweeted the question if there was *any* hope of salvation for Barry. I'll let you know if he replies.

ETA: While all replies are answers, not all answers are replies...seems I've heard that before....

He does cryptic so well!

Jan
I seem to recall it as "While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers ..."

That's it ! JMS is the Vorlon

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 03-19-2015, 03:14 AM

Oops! Had it right in my head and typed it backwards.

Jan
Old 06-29-2015, 06:17 PM

Remember that post that said Sidekick #11 was due out April 8? It's finally made it to the printer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip W. Smith II
‏@Warp_Phil 26m26 minutes ago
SIDEKICK #11 is at the publisher! The origins of Flyboy, a.k.a. Sidekick emerge
Due out 22nd, I think.

Jan
Old 09-16-2015, 10:20 AM

Found on Facebook.

Quote:
Final issue of JMS's "Sidekick" comic solicited for December 23rd:
SIDEKICK #12
STORY: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI
ART / COVER A: TOM MANDRAKE & HIFI
COVER B: BEN TEMPLESMITH
DECEMBER 23 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99
The culmination of Barry Chase's story ends with more revelations about his dark past, and an even darker future. With power beyond his wildest dreams at his disposal, will Barry turn back toward the path of light, or turn into the greatest menace humanity has ever known?
December.... sigh. Looking forward to the collected edition in order to read it all straight through.

Jan
Old 09-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Found on Facebook.

December.... sigh. Looking forward to the collected edition in order to read it all straight through.

Jan
This is why I tend to wait on the trade. Although, sometimes it's a good move to support the single issues to ensure the series actually doesn't get canned before it concludes. I think with JMS' TV commitments we are going to see more delays and less comics work full stop. I haven't been massively into anything he's done recently comics wise. Sadly, the Superman Earth One stuff left me pretty cold.

Kosh: Good!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:52 AM

I'd asked him about comics at LosCon last year and he'd said that he wasn't going to be doing much. But I thought the stuff already in the works would continue even if at a slower pace.

I enjoyed the Superman Earth One books and I'm definitely looking forward to Flash Earth One.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
I enjoyed the Superman Earth One books and I'm definitely looking forward to Flash Earth One.
I just hope it's more inventive than the Supes stuff, I found them solid, but couldn't shake the feeling that it was all just a tad phoned in and generic. To say Supes is his favourite superhero, I expected something more.

Have you read Grant Morrison's 'All Star Superman'? For me that completely nailed the core idea of Superman perfectly. It also managed to be beautiful, inventive and deeply personal all at the same time. He also dispenses with Superman's origin story in three panels! Do give it a go.

And, I may have said this before, but 'It's a Bird' is the best superman graphic novel ever, that's about Superman, but hardly features Superman at all!

I don't mind comics taking a back seat if it mean more Sense8 and a potential B5 film.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 09-30-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 AM

Thanks again to John Joshua!

Final issue in December and then here's the trade Feb. 3:

SIDEKICK, VOL. 2 TP
STORY: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI
ART / COVER: TOM MANDRAKE & HI-FI
FEBRUARY 3 / 160 PAGES / FC / M / $15.99
Barry Chase, aka Flyboy, was the faithful sidekick of the Red Cowl... until the day the Cowl was murdered, sending Barry out on his own into a hostile world that ridiculed him. Now the truth is known: the Red Cowl faked his death to ditch Flyboy and now it's time for payback as our story reaches its dark conclusion. Will Flyboy go through with his plans to murder the Red Cowl? What dark secret does Barry carry from his past?
Collects SIDEKICK #7-12

Jan
Old 12-22-2015, 05:14 PM

Reminder from JMS that the final Sidekick comes out tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...39652459402959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
For those who have been asking about the comics work...Sidekick #12, the final issue, hits stores Wednesday, with the trade paperback collecting 7-12 taking orders now; also, Monday is the cutoff for orders for Dream Police #8. Much cool stuff coming....
I just know he's going to break my heart with that one...

ETA: Huh. I was wrong. This went exactly where I didn't expect it to go. Very unsettling. Nice job, JMS.

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 12-23-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Tags
joe's comics, sidekick 1 review

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: