JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 05-08-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
Then again, they were never named Anonymous in the show, and the inspiration behind "The Guy", as he is credited in the closing credits, seems to be a romanticized amalgam of Wachowskis' version of V and Anonymous.
Sorry to ask but what 'V' is being referenced? I'd assumed it was the actual TV show/movie/mini-series by that name (that JMS wrote an unproduced mini-series for) but now I'm thinking 'V for Vendetta'?
Old 05-08-2017, 06:13 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Sorry to ask but what 'V' is being referenced? I'd assumed it was the actual TV show/movie/mini-series by that name (that JMS wrote an unproduced mini-series for) but now I'm thinking 'V for Vendetta'?
Yep, definitely V for Vendetta.

Kosh: Good!
Old 05-08-2017, 06:28 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
The latter, of course!

Its iconography certainly, but also a specific speech by V which is full of v-starting words. This specific scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQyqx1K495U

They poke fun at it in this episode with "There's an app for it!"
Old 05-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Confirmed User

Thanks, now I want to go back and watch V again - V the TV Show and V For Vendetta.

So do we really think Jonas is dead?

I totally knew that eventually Kala was going to find issues at her husband's company, which sucks because he has become one of my favorite characters and it seems eventually he is getting the boot.

I have to admit the "eDeath" thing seems a bit shakey to me. It isn't like Bendix is just going to forget about Nomi, though I understand the point is that it is his job and this means he is supposed to move on and forget about her. But it also isn't like BPO is going to forget about her. Logically speaking wouldn't they just recreate the pursuit?

And I do want to talk about DJ performance. If I have one complaint about this season up to this point I would say that it has to be the love/party scenes. These scenes where they are either having sex or partying just seem disruptive and often out of place. Having said this I can say that finally the DJ scene did fit the moment. Am I the only one who has noticed this? These scenes just seem to break into episodes and it is sometimes jarring, right?

Okay so this was definitely another great episode. I am absolutely in love with this season. I hope the show is doing great on Netflix because it definitely deserves to have a huge audience.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Just a fan

Aside of the special, I thought that the sex scenes were greatly reduced in number (I can only recall (number in the spoiler):
actually!).

And the other montages didn't bother me or take me out of the moment at all, while they did bother me quite a bit in the special with how they were "pausing" the narrative!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
So do we really think Jonas is dead?
Time will tell...

Quote:
I totally knew that eventually Kala was going to find issues at her husband's company, which sucks because he has become one of my favorite characters and it seems eventually he is getting the boot.
I knew his company had something to do with the drug issues we saw in various places.

Quote:
I have to admit the "eDeath" thing seems a bit shakey to me. It isn't like Bendix is just going to forget about Nomi, though I understand the point is that it is his job and this means he is supposed to move on and forget about her. But it also isn't like BPO is going to forget about her. Logically speaking wouldn't they just recreate the pursuit?
This leads up to one of my fave scenes of the season (she says vaguely...).

Quote:
And I do want to talk about DJ performance. If I have one complaint about this season up to this point I would say that it has to be the love/party scenes. These scenes where they are either having sex or partying just seem disruptive and often out of place. Having said this I can say that finally the DJ scene did fit the moment. Am I the only one who has noticed this? These scenes just seem to break into episodes and it is sometimes jarring, right?
Not for me. And this one had a special purpose, I gather - though I need to watch again to be sure. Wasn't she deliberately trying to attract more sensates to contact her?

Quote:
Okay so this was definitely another great episode. I am absolutely in love with this season. I hope the show is doing great on Netflix because it definitely deserves to have a huge audience.
Amen.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
Not for me. And this one had a special purpose, I gather - though I need to watch again to be sure. Wasn't she deliberately trying to attract more sensates to contact her?
Yes. They theorized there must be a lot of sensates out there, so in a room with hundreds of people theoretically some of them are going to be sensates. Then, when in the venue, she gave a speech about how she believes in them and one shouldn't look down, which is a subtle hint to sensates that recognize her as such, to get the courage to look her in the eye and link together.

(Which sounds like a metaphor of realizing there are a lot of LGBTQ people living among us but they are ashamed to come forward, and she encourages them to do so. )

Regarding the sensates that were in the club, the next episode explains

that sensates must have an "intelligence network", later hinted to be the Archipelago, or perhaps the Archipelago is one of the many, through which they already knew that Riley was a sensate, and that's why they went to the club. I suppose Will and Riley are known in the sensate community for their win against "The Cannibal" (as they seem to know him).
Old 05-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
Aside of the special, I thought that the sex scenes were greatly reduced in number (I can only recall (number in the spoiler):
actually!).

And the other montages didn't bother me or take me out of the moment at all, while they did bother me quite a bit in the special with how they were "pausing" the narrative!
I am not saying these scenes are too frequent. I am say that I find they take me out of the narrative or disrupt things with little purpose. I feel like they are just repeating material we established in Season One. I know shared experience is important, but with so much going on some of these scenes seem like pointless breaks. And yes the Special was a worse about doing this. I hope it gets better as the season goes and this DJ scene gives me that hope.

Quote:
That is what I was trying to say. Often these scenes seem like 'Dance Breaks', but the DJ Scene actually had a purpose to the narrative.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: