JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 06-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Just a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I'll say it again: it's impossible to know what goes on in these negotiations. If some cast members didn't want to return, that may have had all kinds of reasons - some of them purely to do with the business side of things, or their relationship with Netflix, or some totally random thing we don't know anything about.
It's all very complicated. There are three stories, JMS', Brian J. Smith's and the Italian fanpage/Roberto Malerba's. And not all three of them are 100% compatible on all things.

For one, if ~4 cast members weren't willing to renew, it doesn't make sense that Smith told the fans to "make some noise", in the hopes that Netflix change their minds. And before someone suggests it, to me it doesn't make sense that perhaps he didn't know some of his cast mates had declined to renew. I'm not suggesting that the cast members are the best of friends and share everything as some people think of them, but to me, if as many as ~4 people had declined to return, that's the kind of news that would definitely reach the other 4. It also makes no sense that perhaps he knew about the ~4, but he thought the show could survive a recast of ~4 just fine!

For that reason... I agree that at least currently it's impossible to tell the what, how and why of those negotiations. Who knows if they were basically finished unsuccessfully a long time ago, or if there was still room for negotiation up to the last minute. Who knows if everything could be settled just by Netflix paying them more, or there were people that simply didn't want to do it anymore for reasons that might range from health reasons (nothing new for Babylon 5 fans) to.. whatever! Who knows.. a lot of things!

But all three stories, JMS/Smith/Malerba's, mention as a reason the budget vs viewership, so I think that at least that is a sure thing. It's also what Netflix has said. It's also the fact that Netflix has canceled all of their expensive shows with the exception of the critically acclaimed The Crown. There are probably more reasons such as the contracts, but the what, how and why of them is unclear.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-16-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:27 AM
Just a fan

And Smith seems to have now confirmed he had signed the new contract.

https://twitter.com/BrianJacobSmith/...33238131965954

Quote:
"Hi, Brian! Did you sign Sense8 Season 3 contract? #pleaseanswerfans"

I sure did!
[/QUOTE]

I"M SO SORRY! I clicked 'edit' instead of 'quote' and then couldn't get the rest of your message back when I realized! Sorry!!! -Jan

Last edited by Jan; 06-17-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:59 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

We also know from experience - and I don't mean to suggest this is what happened in this specific case - that sometimes networks, when they've already decided to cancel something, will make absurd demands on creative staff to put the blame for cancellation with them.

In other words... who knows. Most likely it was a confluence of factors, with profit being the most significant.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
Who knows if everything could be settled just by Netflix paying them more
If they paid them more and it settled it then they run out of budget to make a show.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Just a fan

Yes, I suppose that makes sense.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:38 PM

This doesn't really fit anyplace in particular and isn't worth a new thread for.

Fir the first time, Netflix will have a booth at San Diego Comic-Con. I think it would be fitting if fans planned a 'What's Up' flash mob at that booth. Of course, as crowded as SDCC is, it would be difficult. But fun!!

SDCC exhibitor map and list link:
http://sdccblog.com/2017/06/exhibito...2017-revealed/
Old 06-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
This doesn't really fit anyplace in particular and isn't worth a new thread for.

Fir the first time, Netflix will have a booth at San Diego Comic-Con. I think it would be fitting if fans planned a 'What's Up' flash mob at that booth. Of course, as crowded as SDCC is, it would be difficult. But fun!!

SDCC exhibitor map and list link:
http://sdccblog.com/2017/06/exhibito...2017-revealed/
This is so perfect Jan. All you have to do is tell the people working the booth that the crowd IS the flash mob. Say that it may not seem like it, but every other person they see is there to ask them 'What's Up' with Sense 8 being canceled. What are they going to do ask everyone to prove it?!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
This is so perfect Jan. All you have to do is tell the people working the booth that the crowd IS the flash mob. Say that it may not seem like it, but every other person they see is there to ask them 'What's Up' with Sense 8 being canceled. What are they going to do ask everyone to prove it?!
Not me!! I avoid the show floor whenever possible. I'm probably the most relaxed person at SDCC because there are seldom more than three 'must do' things on my list. The rest of the time I wander in and out of panels and people watch.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
As much as I love the idea, all they'd have to do is find one person who never heard of Sense8 to disprove your claim. The weight of proof is on your shoulders by saying they all are part of the mob.

Tell them 1/2 of the room is the mob. That makes it much harder to disprove.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Confirmed User

As an over-50 fan of JMS and Sense8 I'd just like to say: BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I also come to an uncomfortable conclusion that I am now paying for Netflix entirely for access to the show "House of Cards". With Sense8 there, too, I never wondered if it were worth the money. Now, I am.

"House of Cards" is a great show. And now, a fairly expensive one for me. I have a feeling Netflix is turning Network.

And someone commented on how the inclusive shows are being pulled all over the schedule.

Where's the alternative entertainment? It must be around the net somewhere. Thank goodness for Amazone Prime and Mr Robot.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Just a fan

And now Netflix canceled yet another show, after just 1 season.. http://deadline.com/2017/06/girlboss...es-1202119606/

(Granted, it appears it was a pretty poorly received show still.. it shows they are no longer afraid of canceling the stuff that don't work out for them.)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 PM
Just a fan

Clayton and Ageyman on the cancellation: http://hollywoodlife.com/2017/06/26/...led-interview/

Quote:
“I mean, they made a petition. I’ve never been part of a fandom, so it’s amazing — it’s beyond anything I can comprehend, the amount of love that people have for these characters and this show and the message of the whole thing,” Jamie said when asked about the fans and their fight to bring Sense8 back. “It makes my heart so full, and I’m so grateful and so proud. Over 500,000 people have signed the petition to bring the show back.”

“It broke my heart when Netflix released the second statement saying that it wasn’t, but I don’t know what to say, what we can do,”
Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Just a fan

Netflix are on a roll, they canceled the Naomi Watts-starring Gypsy after just 1 season.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/gypsy-ca...on-1202146744/

Quote:
The development is somewhat surprising because Netflix had been in conversations with the producers about a second season and the cancellation decision comes after a writers room had been up and running for four weeks, working on storylines and scripts for Season 2.
This is a bit similar to Sense8. According to Malerba/Italians for the longest time Netflix had been telling the Sense8 team everything was going ok. Then one day it was "the numbers do not support your show and goodbye".

These rather sudden decisions (or otherwise why was a writers room established and running for a whole month on Gypsy!) point perhaps to someone from the top making them, and everyone bellow having to obey them. Gypsy was poorly received and Sense8 wasn't popular enough so I do understand that whoever is making these decisions is not blindly making them, but still, there are better ways to handle things.

Last edited by sense8ional; 08-11-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Just a fan

Middleton on the cancellation (and orgy): https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/c...-a3644216.html

edit But Desai's Magic 8-ball says there will be more than just the finale

https://www.facebook.com/ELLEINDIA/v...1210129590618/
https://www.facebook.com/ELLEINDIA/v...7641999947431/

Last edited by sense8ional; 09-26-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: