JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > TV Series

Old 11-17-2017, 12:19 AM
Thread Killer

I have never been a huge trekkie. I can enjoy a few shows here and there, but I've never once made it all the way through an entire trek show. To me, trek has great ideas but I always come away from the experience, disappointed. A lot of that had to do with the standalone reset episodes. I always felt like no matter what happens, nothing really matters, since by the end of the eppy everything will be fixed and forgotten about. Not even DS9 could go as dark or as deep as I wanted it to.

I did quite enjoy the first 3 seasons of Enterprise. Mostly cos of T'Pol. She was hot and intriguing, and I love time travel. But once the temporal cold war was over I lost interest.

With Discovery, I have watched every episode of season one A, and I have loved every minute of it. Even though I hate the big spoiler twist that is coming up and I have to mute the Klingons when they're talking cos that guttural sound annoys the crap out of me.

But other than those two things I love everything else about it.

I love Michael Burnham. I love that this show has consequences. I love that each episode picks up where the last one left off. I love the moral ambiguity of the captain. I love that the characters aren't all perfect, self righteous, moralistic cardboard cutouts. They actually talk and act like real people.

I love the far out tech, the set designs, the scenery. The sentient planet, the poor adorable tardigrade, the spore travel device... It all fascinates and intrigues me. And also makes me laugh sometimes.

I even enjoyed the ground hog day episode and I usually hate those.

So all in all, Disco is my favorite trek and if the quality keeps up, it just may be the first trek series I watch all the way through.

Last edited by Delenn_of_Mir; 11-17-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:00 AM
Confirmed User

I'm enjoying it, i don't care about the wider trek, or trek prime or frajly give a hoot where it fits in to the trekky universe, it's good sci fi and enjoyable.

Also have you checked out the orville, there's a few hit and miss episodes along with sometimes a little too much toilet humour but the morality it explores is fascinating and it looks pretty and well made.
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedout View Post
I'm enjoying it, i don't care about the wider trek, or trek prime or frajly give a hoot where it fits in to the trekky universe, it's good sci fi and enjoyable.

Also have you checked out the orville, there's a few hit and miss episodes along with sometimes a little too much toilet humour but the morality it explores is fascinating and it looks pretty and well made.
Very well said. On the whole I've enjoyed it quite a bit. The mid season finale felt perhaps a bit rushed, but I really dig that the outcome may change the status quo of the series a lot.

Couldn't really get into the Orville. It wasn't quite funny enough to be full on parody, and the humour is a tad bargain basement for my tastes, it's not quite up to snuff to be the ST homage it so badly wants to be. I'm also not sure why we need a ST homage with toilet humour.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 11-20-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Very well said. On the whole I've enjoyed it quite a bit. The mid season finale felt perhaps a bit rushed, but I really dig that the outcome may change the status quo of the series a lot.

Couldn't really get into the Orville. It wasn't quite funny enough to be full on parody, and the humour is a tad bargain basement for my tastes, it's not quite up to snuff to be the ST homage it so badly wants to be. I'm also not sure why we need a ST homage with toilet humour.
Interesting! You're the first person I've met who doesn't like the Orville.

I didn't think I was going to like it, but it does get better over time. It's actually much more star trekian than Disco because of all of the standalone adventure eps. And the one with Moklan couple who have the baby girl and want to change it to a boy reminded me of the B5 episode with the boy whose family wouldn't allow him to be operated on.

But it is Seth Farlan, so yeah, it does have crude humor, and a lot of stuff they do is just really silly, but still fun, IMO.

I do like Disco a lot better though!
Old 11-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
Interesting! You're the first person I've met who doesn't like the Orville.

I didn't think I was going to like it, but it does get better over time. It's actually much more star trekian than Disco because of all of the standalone adventure eps. And the one with Moklan couple who have the baby girl and want to change it to a boy reminded me of the B5 episode with the boy whose family wouldn't allow him to be operated on.

But it is Seth Farlan, so yeah, it does have crude humor, and a lot of stuff they do is just really silly, but still fun, IMO.

I do like Disco a lot better though!
Disco filled the void whilst there was no real SF of note on television. There aren't many straight up 'ship shows' these days, so i welcome it.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:03 AM
Lurker in Brown Sector

The show is back with episode 10 in early January. Anyone else but me watching?

Four episodes in the mirror universe, followed by a return to the prime universe at the end of episode 13.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:22 AM
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post

Four episodes in the mirror universe, followed by a return to the prime universe at the end of episode 13.
I'm watching and loving it even more!!!!

This is my trek!
Old 02-04-2018, 09:30 AM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post

I am watching and liking it quite a bit.

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 02-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Some good twists I didn't see coming. Has been a fun ride.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:04 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Watched the S1 finale today. Well played, very well played Discovery.

Best Trek in ages. You need to see the season as a whole, has a very satisfying arc and will definitely shut up all the naysayers.

Also, massive tease at the end of S1 that will be sure to drive most Trekkies wild. A+. Can't wait for S2. We finally have a good 'ship show' back on TV.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Watched the S1 finale today. Well played, very well played Discovery.

Best Trek in ages. You need to see the season as a whole, has a very satisfying arc and will definitely shut up all the naysayers.

Also, massive tease at the end of S1 that will be sure to drive most Trekkies wild. A+. Can't wait for S2. We finally have a good 'ship show' back on TV.
Just finished watching the finale. Agreed, this is good stuff.

My blog :

Old 02-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlurker View Post
Just finished watching the finale. Agreed, this is good stuff.
Glad you enjoyed it. I checked the Reddit threads as I was curious what other fans had made of it. NEVER check the Reddit threads! People sure are grumpy over there, seems there's no pleasing folks. I thought it really thought it brought the show back to 'core values' if you know what I mean, and in a satisfying way.

Last edited by Ubik; 02-12-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it. I checked the Reddit threads as I was curious what other fans had made of it. NEVER check the Reddit threads! People sure are grumpy over there, seems there's no pleasing folks. I thought it really thought it brought the show back to 'core values' if you know what I mean, and in a satisfying way.
It did, even if it was a bit hurried.

My blog :

Old 02-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Thread Killer

Yes, the finale made it all worth it. I loved how much Michael grew as a character. How her relationship with Saru grew. Her relationship with Sarek. And the evolution of Killy Tilly. This is what I always wanted star trek to be. This version finally is living up to the high standards that Babylon 5 spoiled me with.

The only part I didn't like was how quickly Michael forgave Voq and was fine with kissing him. She suffered some serious PTSD and I really doubt she would have gotten over that so soon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: