JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > TV Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-17-2017, 01:19 AM
Delenn_of_Mir's Avatar
Delenn_of_Mir Delenn_of_Mir is offline
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 468
I have never been a huge trekkie. I can enjoy a few shows here and there, but I've never once made it all the way through an entire trek show. To me, trek has great ideas but I always come away from the experience, disappointed. A lot of that had to do with the standalone reset episodes. I always felt like no matter what happens, nothing really matters, since by the end of the eppy everything will be fixed and forgotten about. Not even DS9 could go as dark or as deep as I wanted it to.

I did quite enjoy the first 3 seasons of Enterprise. Mostly cos of T'Pol. She was hot and intriguing, and I love time travel. But once the temporal cold war was over I lost interest.

With Discovery, I have watched every episode of season one A, and I have loved every minute of it. Even though I hate the big spoiler twist that is coming up and I have to mute the Klingons when they're talking cos that guttural sound annoys the crap out of me.

But other than those two things I love everything else about it.

I love Michael Burnham. I love that this show has consequences. I love that each episode picks up where the last one left off. I love the moral ambiguity of the captain. I love that the characters aren't all perfect, self righteous, moralistic cardboard cutouts. They actually talk and act like real people.

I love the far out tech, the set designs, the scenery. The sentient planet, the poor adorable tardigrade, the spore travel device... It all fascinates and intrigues me. And also makes me laugh sometimes.

I even enjoyed the ground hog day episode and I usually hate those.

So all in all, Disco is my favorite trek and if the quality keeps up, it just may be the first trek series I watch all the way through.

Last edited by Delenn_of_Mir; 11-17-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-18-2017, 01:00 AM
phazedout's Avatar
phazedout phazedout is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 891
I'm enjoying it, i don't care about the wider trek, or trek prime or frajly give a hoot where it fits in to the trekky universe, it's good sci fi and enjoyable.

Also have you checked out the orville, there's a few hit and miss episodes along with sometimes a little too much toilet humour but the morality it explores is fascinating and it looks pretty and well made.
__________________
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-20-2017, 06:34 AM
Ubik's Avatar
Ubik Ubik is offline
Vorlon Visitor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: York, UK
Posts: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedout View Post
I'm enjoying it, i don't care about the wider trek, or trek prime or frajly give a hoot where it fits in to the trekky universe, it's good sci fi and enjoyable.

Also have you checked out the orville, there's a few hit and miss episodes along with sometimes a little too much toilet humour but the morality it explores is fascinating and it looks pretty and well made.
Very well said. On the whole I've enjoyed it quite a bit. The mid season finale felt perhaps a bit rushed, but I really dig that the outcome may change the status quo of the series a lot.

Couldn't really get into the Orville. It wasn't quite funny enough to be full on parody, and the humour is a tad bargain basement for my tastes, it's not quite up to snuff to be the ST homage it so badly wants to be. I'm also not sure why we need a ST homage with toilet humour.
__________________
Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 11-20-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Delenn_of_Mir's Avatar
Delenn_of_Mir Delenn_of_Mir is offline
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Very well said. On the whole I've enjoyed it quite a bit. The mid season finale felt perhaps a bit rushed, but I really dig that the outcome may change the status quo of the series a lot.

Couldn't really get into the Orville. It wasn't quite funny enough to be full on parody, and the humour is a tad bargain basement for my tastes, it's not quite up to snuff to be the ST homage it so badly wants to be. I'm also not sure why we need a ST homage with toilet humour.
Interesting! You're the first person I've met who doesn't like the Orville.

I didn't think I was going to like it, but it does get better over time. It's actually much more star trekian than Disco because of all of the standalone adventure eps. And the one with Moklan couple who have the baby girl and want to change it to a boy reminded me of the B5 episode with the boy whose family wouldn't allow him to be operated on.

But it is Seth Farlan, so yeah, it does have crude humor, and a lot of stuff they do is just really silly, but still fun, IMO.

I do like Disco a lot better though!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-22-2017, 01:54 AM
Ubik's Avatar
Ubik Ubik is offline
Vorlon Visitor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: York, UK
Posts: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
Interesting! You're the first person I've met who doesn't like the Orville.

I didn't think I was going to like it, but it does get better over time. It's actually much more star trekian than Disco because of all of the standalone adventure eps. And the one with Moklan couple who have the baby girl and want to change it to a boy reminded me of the B5 episode with the boy whose family wouldn't allow him to be operated on.

But it is Seth Farlan, so yeah, it does have crude humor, and a lot of stuff they do is just really silly, but still fun, IMO.

I do like Disco a lot better though!
Disco filled the void whilst there was no real SF of note on television. There aren't many straight up 'ship shows' these days, so i welcome it.
__________________
Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.