JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 10-28-2017, 06:32 PM

What do you want most in the Finale?

(Let's just assume that 'a third season' has been said)

Me, I want to know whether Jonas was a good guy, bad guy or double/triple/whatever agent. There's something that makes me think he's *not* on the side of our cluster.

What about you? Would love to hear from all of you, regular posters and lurkers alike!
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 10-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Confirmed User

I am terrified this special will be too short to get the emotional catharsis we all love.

So what I want most are earned moments of joy, sadness, humor, beauty, and closure for the main 8, without anything feeling forced and shoehorned in.

I know we're beyond lucky to get even another mediocre episode, but it seems 2 hours won't be enough. I have faith they can do it, but it's a huge challenge.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:28 AM
Vorlon Visitor

I'd like some kind of solid explanation as to why BPO is hunting Sensates and how they pose a threat. I wasn't too convinced by what has already been put on the table. I guess much of it will come down to Whispers and his back story.

I'd also like less montages set to uplifting music.

I'm honestly a bit fearful that the whole finale will be a bit of a rushed mess. I hope JMS has at least had some input in terms of notes and his general 'plan' for the arc has been respected.

I re-watched The Matrix recently and it's still a really fun film, but it really got me thinking about how the Ws have been coasting on the same central idea for the best part of two decades. I still feel like the central premise of the show is great, but has been diluted with too many characters and is trying to spin too many narrative plates.

Anyway... curious to see it when it lands.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 11-03-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:41 AM
Vorlon Visitor

No one else?!? Come on people? Others must have some thoughts, wishes, opinions, hopes, fears...

Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Confirmed User

Hope? I kind of agree about the speeches and music thing. I admit I fast forwarded through some of that. I saw it as necessary to keep the show popular...

Mostly, if we only have one episode left, let it explain as much as possible keeping our folks as intact as possible. Maybe with room for some spinoffs?

I remember reading "More Than Human" by Theodore Sturgeon. It made quite an impression on my college-age mind. I kind of wish the series could have used more of this kind of group mind than fight scenes and the like. I assumed they were building up to something like that. There won't be time, now.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:10 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
Hope? I kind of agree about the speeches and music thing. I admit I fast forwarded through some of that. I saw it as necessary to keep the show popular...

Mostly, if we only have one episode left, let it explain as much as possible keeping our folks as intact as possible. Maybe with room for some spinoffs?

I remember reading "More Than Human" by Theodore Sturgeon. It made quite an impression on my college-age mind. I kind of wish the series could have used more of this kind of group mind than fight scenes and the like. I assumed they were building up to something like that. There won't be time, now.
I kinda fear it may suffer in the same way the Xmas special did. I am not confident we'll get any of that depth without a season long arc. I thought S2 was a bit tighter in terms of narrative than S1, there was less 'fluff'. I'm a bit miffed JMS wasn't involved, as he's the one that really excels at long for narratives on TV. I expected to see some of the character put through the wringer and undergo profound change that we might not have expected.

I have the distinct feeling I'm not going to be too into the finale, but I will try not to pre-judge until I've sat down and watched it. Happy we're getting it, but I am approaching with caution.

Last edited by Ubik; 12-14-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:35 PM
Confirmed User

Yea, I'm probably going in with an attitude that if I don't expect too much I can't be too unhappy with whatever they come up with. I will say this much: if there is some unrealistic happy conclusions, I think it might really make for some powerful moments for some people who are not traditional in their lifestyle preferences and choices. People who aren't as used to being portrayed as those who even can have such personal victories have definitely been a large part of the life-blood that impressed Netflix enough to get us a Finale. I hope they find inspiration in the series and its ending.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:17 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
Yea, I'm probably going in with an attitude that if I don't expect too much I can't be too unhappy with whatever they come up with. I will say this much: if there is some unrealistic happy conclusions, I think it might really make for some powerful moments for some people who are not traditional in their lifestyle preferences and choices. People who aren't as used to being portrayed as those who even can have such personal victories have definitely been a large part of the life-blood that impressed Netflix enough to get us a Finale. I hope they find inspiration in the series and its ending.
Totally agree. I know a few super fans in the LGBT community.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:14 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Totally agree. I know a few super fans in the LGBT community.
Arguably, I'd say a majority of the show's "super fans" are LGBT. Being LGBT myself, this show undoubtedly fosters a connection with, for lack of better words, a "minority audience" unlike any other show which is why many people, myself included would disregard many of the shows flaws in favour of seeing fresh representations of people that usually don't get portrayed on western media.

And with regards to your comment about not feeling too "into the finale" -- I'm fairly confident that having two award winning writers (instead of just one! aka JMS lol) alongside Lana will do just fine with the script! I'd argue that the script and narrative of the finale has potential to do much better than S1 and S2 judging by what I've read from David Mitchell & Aleksandar Hemon. Hopefully JMS' essence to the story is still there though.

My only real concern is how, because of the way S2 ended, they will have to effectively sideline some of the cluster in the finale in terms of the narrative/story to be told. It's clear that Kala and Wolfgang are going to be the focus of the finale (with Purab pretty much filming with them for the entire thing I think that's a solid giveaway) and in effect, because of having to resolve BPO, Will, Riley and Nomi to an extent as well. Not to mention that we are definitely getting Angelica, Whispers and Raoul flashbacks. I'm worried that Capheus, Lito and Sun are going to be relegated as "sidekicks" considering that none of their stories have intersected with the main BPO narrative (sans Lito's investigating). Tina Desai posting that video of the tableread also pretty much confirms my concerns about Sun not getting a proper conclusion. I think it's very disappointing how her story will end because of how much time was spent on that part of her narrative in S2. And from what I can tell from filming at the Eiffel Tower, Capheus will be getting the results of the election, but not so much a proper conclusion in my opinion since the whole thing won't be taking place in Nairobi. Likewise, although I'm satisfied with how Lito's narrative ending in S2, I'm disappointed we won't see what is next for him.

All I'm hoping for is that the finale doesn't dedicate too much focus on Will. I personally think Will has had too much of the spotlight in S1 and S2 (although I believe S2 did a better job of splitting the focus among the 8).

EDIT: Took out the apparent "spoiler" I guess

Last edited by chromate; 12-17-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Just a fan

You need to spoiler tag the above!

My only concern was that some of the 8 actors would had limited availability, but that wasn't the case, so my expectations about the special have already been surpassed. Now it remains to judge the end result!
Old 12-16-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
You need to spoiler tag the above!
?? Why? Are there any actual spoilers or only supposition? I don't recall any.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Just a fan

Yes,

e.g.

that the political part of Capheus was seen filming in the Eiffel Tower.

I mean that's the reason the other thread where we post filming updates has "Possible SPOILERS" in its title in the first place, because not everyone wants to know that x actor was spotted filming at y location.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:41 PM
Confirmed User

I am not surprised to hear that a large part of the "super-fan" group is LGBT. The basic concept of the series is about diversity, acceptance, and how we are so much more as a group working together, with diverse talents and personalities, than we ever were alone.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Another thing I remembered that I want to find out in the Finale:

Why do Angelica and Jonas keep trying to persuade the cluster to commit suicide?? I just re-watched the Christmas special and Will dreamed about her but it wasn't a flashback, and she gave him a gun to shoot himself with in the dream - if it was a dream.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:01 AM
Just a fan

It's to protect the rest of the cluster, no? Even Yrsa said it to Riley.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: