JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > General Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 2.78 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Confirmed User

Did I miss a meeting or something?

Where has everyone gone?

EDIT: Weird. Right after I posted this a post in the Off-Topic from Phaze yesterday showed up that wasn't there when I first came to the site. Must have needed to refresh or something.

Last edited by Looney; 02-22-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Did I miss a meeting or something?
Where has everyone gone?

EDIT: Weird. Right after I posted this a post in the Off-Topic from Phaze yesterday showed up that wasn't there when I first came to the site. Must have needed to refresh or something.
Looney, don't worry.
In the mean time we all are trying hard to get telepathic.
But full success isn't yet at hand.

B5 Stefan

--
Sinclair: "Get out of my head! You want to talk to me, talk to me!"
Bester: "Apologies, Commander. It saves considerable time."
[Mind War]
Old 02-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Confirmed User

Short story "Life Sentence" <> "Passing through Gethsemane" / Netflix

Netflix auctioned the Matthew Baker short story "Life Sentence" to produce a movie.
http://deadline.com/2018/02/matthew-...ry-1202301188/

This is what JMS did tweet about yesterday:

JMS:
Quote:
Mr. Baker, I feel this story is derivative of my episode of Babylon 5 about a judicial system that mind-wipes criminals rather than imprisoning or executing them, and one such who discovers the truth and tries to reconcile his past with his present.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passin...ugh_Gethsemane
WHOA!

Background story (see wikipedia):
"Passing through Gethsemane" was planned for s2. But when a fan did post a similar story idea, "legal steps had to be taken to clear the situation up before the story could be put back into the production pipeline" - and finally became s3e4.

B5-Stefan

--
David Sheridan: "Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 AM

Baker responded

Quote:
Matthew Baker‏
@mwektaehtabr
Follow Follow @mwektaehtabr

Replying to @straczynski
Never seen it. I have some friends who like your show though. Thanks for reaching out—feel free to dm me if you have any questions.

12:52 AM - 26 Feb 2018
BTW: This bit from Wiki is rather overblown:
Quote:
"legal steps had to be taken to clear the situation up before the story could be put back into the production pipeline"
What actually happened was that JMS found the fan and got a handwritten disclaimer of any credit for the story idea. It was published in the B5 script books.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Last edited by Jan; 02-26-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:14 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
BTW: This bit from Wiki is rather overblown:
What actually happened was that JMS found the fan and got a handwritten disclaimer of any credit for the story idea. It was published in the B5 script books.
Jan, thanks for this correction on the backstory.

Precisely said: i did oversee, that JMS explained the case on GENIE, feb-21-1996:
Quote:
Well, I'd had "Passing Through Gethsemane" on the wire at that time, but when I saw this, I had to scuttle the story. It lay there, untouched, for over a year, until I could finally meet the fellow and get a signed release indicating what'd happened. If that fan had not been fair and reasonable, that episode -- which many consider one of our best -- would never have been made.http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-14290

B5-Stefan

--
Delenn: "If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift,
politeness requires that we at least try and solve it."
[Atonement]

Last edited by B5-Stefan; 02-26-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:22 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5-Stefan View Post
Netflix auctioned the Matthew Baker short story "Life Sentence" to produce a movie.
http://deadline.com/2018/02/matthew-...ry-1202301188/

This is what JMS did tweet about yesterday:

Mr. Baker, I feel this story is derivative of my episode of Babylon 5 about a judicial system that mind-wipes criminals rather than imprisoning or executing them, and one such who discovers the truth and tries to reconcile his past with his present.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passin...ugh_Gethsemane

JMS:

WHOA!

Background story (see wikipedia):
"Passing through Gethsemane" was planned for s2. But when a fan did post a similar story idea, "legal steps had to be taken to clear the situation up before the story could be put back into the production pipeline" - and finally became s3e4.

B5-Stefan

--
David Sheridan: "Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Yeah, I saw this too. I honestly thought it was a bit of a dick move on JMS part. Unsure why it needed to be broached like this on Twitter. There have to be countless stories that use this same premise. As someone else pointed out, Alfred Bester coined the idea well before either JMS or Baker in his novel The Demolished Man.

Hope they've had a productive discussion and it's been put to rest. I don't see why someone else can't explore the same territory as long as it's not the exact same story, and there's no direct plagiarism.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 02-26-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 PM
Confirmed User

I am guessing there is more to this. Usually Joe just makes jokes about other stories being close to his (imitation is the sincerest form of television). Really was wondering what this was about; maybe something we do not see. The author did reach out to him on twitter so hopefully we find out.

Last edited by JoeD80; 02-26-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Confirmed User

Not only has this story idea been around since before B5, but JMS actually experienced some random fan posting the idea independent of his episode already. Weird that he'd post about this without more backstory.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthaz View Post
Not only has this story idea been around since before B5, but JMS actually experienced some random fan posting the idea independent of his episode already. Weird that he'd post about this without more backstory.
Mindwipe, yes, is an older concept. Somebody remembering their past life after being mindwiped is specific which is why it caused an issue back in the day when a fan speculated about B5's mindwipe.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 03-03-2018, 07:08 AM
Confirmed User

Isn't jms a Blake's 7 fan. It's been too many decades to think about - but I seem to recall a story where Blake - as a criminal - had his memories erased, placed in a new environment and he started to remember things.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
Isn't jms a Blake's 7 fan. It's been too many decades to think about - but I seem to recall a story where Blake - as a criminal - had his memories erased, placed in a new environment and he started to remember things.
Hadn't thought of that one. True.

Kosh: Good!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:26 AM
Confirmed User

JMS' unwinder

[JMS tweets yesterday]

When sam ferry asked for his "favorite unwinder" [in the sense of "relaxer" <hehehe>]

JMS tweets:
Quote:
Ah. Okay: at the end of a day spent writing the things I have to write, I allocate time for things I want to write just for myself (my reward for writing is more writing), I'll watch 25% of a movie (so I see a full one over 4 days), and watch youtube squirrel videos with my cat.
And sam ferry:
Quote:
I don't know how you can do that. 25 % of a movie ??? Have you ever sat and watched your own work ??
Finally JMS:
Quote:
What would be the point? I already know how it all ends.
Jokester JMS.

B5-Stefan

--
Delenn: "We believe that no race can be truly intelligent without laughter"
[A Race Through Dark Places]
Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Confirmed User

I can definitely see why JMS would not really watch his own work, that is the work that he hasn't controlled start to finish. You create something and then you turn it over to others to do with as they wish. That seems like a tough thing to digest when you consider how many thousands, if not millions, of stories have been written one way and mutated into something completely different by the time it finds an audience.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:55 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
I can definitely see why JMS would not really watch his own work, that is the work that he hasn't controlled start to finish. You create something and then you turn it over to others to do with as they wish. That seems like a tough thing to digest when you consider how many thousands, if not millions, of stories have been written one way and mutated into something completely different by the time it finds an audience.
Isn't it natural to be curious about?
And especially curious of what they made of my work?
And if it sank - to state: "with them - never again!"?

B5-Stefan

--
Ivanova: "You're a vicious man"
Garibaldi: "I'm Head of Security. It's in the job description"
Old 03-22-2018, 03:04 AM
Confirmed User

New screenplay?

JMS tweet on march-21:
Quote:
Every time I start writing a new screenplay, I think, "How the hell am I gonna fill 120 pages?" Then by the time I hit page 72 it turns into, "How the hell am I gonna fit all this into 120 pages?" Seems the writing process is really just about going from one terror to another.
What is THIS? And what's ABOUT?
And when will he tell us MORE?

To state it once more. "It's natural to be curious".

B5-Stefan

--
"Please ring, if an answer is required"
"Please knock, if an answer is not required"
[Winnie the Pooh, Chapter 4]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: