JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Scripts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 2.48 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Confirmed User

ya me too, with shipping it only came to 37 euro, happy Phaze is pleased.
Phaze
on the "not that I have started echoes book one yet but still" ID
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Sleeping In Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Ordered mine using REFUND30, THANKS! Still have a personal $15 coupon in reserve.
nice find thanks for that.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Vorlon Technomage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
nice find thanks for that.
Thank wwwmwww. See http://jmsnews.com/forums/showpost.p...3&postcount=60

Hmm, still haven't got a confirmation email.
JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
Babylon 5 is the football.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Confirmed User

Cafepress is the weirdest site ever. The overpriced shipping to Canada has been updated after almost... what? 2 years?

...and now its CHEAPER then US shipping. ($3.75) Huh?!

I don't get it - but I'll take it. Combined with the WORKING coupon for 30% off it came out to abt 40$ - a damn sight better then 60ish for vol 1... I also reread my earlier post and while it came off a bit harsh I do still mean what I said:

- I have appreciated all the hard work (and I know it *is* hard work)

- I love my script books

- when I said "largely previously published" I meant in some form, I am aware that there is new, unseen, uncut material here (I do own all the Titan mags)

- These books have been going on in this format for a bit too long. I agree with some here, I think significantly cheaper wider publicized ebooks is the way to go. Especially for non-script material. (Though I do like the Timeline in book form)

- Power to people who continue to buy other series, this is merely my opinion

- I will buy them if I can get them around 30-40$ thats my collector "pain threshold", but I doubt many but the richest and most devoted fans will go much further (I am the latter but sadly not the former), and therefore I question the wisdom of proceeding in this direction, but that is the "script team's" prerogative.

- I'm sure there are holdups but I reeeally want to see the rest of the scripts. Without knowing what the holdup is, it FEELS like its being dragged out. (not saying it is, just that it feels that way).

Whew, that was a longer post then I intended!
---
Sam.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Message from Captain Jaclyn regarding the Canadian postage issue:

Quote:
Canadians should send me their order numbers so we can credit them back a part of their shipping to offset the overage. Email us at help@b5books.com and put "I'm Canadian" in your subject line. Please include your order number.

Also note, it's not that Cafepress is charging more. It's that their economy carrier did such a bad job they only have a "regular" carrier now and, because it's faster, is more expensive.

We are NOT defending their decision, just wanted our NAFTA buddies to understand why it's cheaper to have a book sent to Australia then our northern neighbors.

Captain Jaclyn
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Confirmed User

Random comments about the interviews I have read so far. I'm just info-dumping off the top of my head from what I remember reading last night.

Well the WB note to "focus more on the humans" between season 1 and 2 sure did seem to affect a lot. Apparently that's why Londo and G'Kar weren't in all that much of season 2; and bringing Sheridan in apparently meant less money for the recurring characters which is why Caitlin Brown didn't continue with Na'Toth...since she felt prosthetics work should give her more money since it affected her face so much. Glad Joe didn't get notes past early season 2 at least. I assume that's why he thought the notes process in Crusade wouldn't be so bad...

Fun to read how the sets were designed and set up so that the production design could keep working on construction on a different stage while filming was being done, since there were three stages.

Richard Compton seemed to go from enthusiastic to jaded very quickly. Even John Flinn commented that it seemed to come out of nowhere. Interesting to see the actors who said they enjoyed working with Michael O'Hare (Caitlin, Julia Nickson, Mira Furlan). Speaking of, were there no interviews with Michael himself during this period? There aren't any except for the CD so far which is from much later. Julia Nickson was told her entire character arc (which matches with what we saw in volume 15).

I've just been jumping all over the two volumes so far. Hopefully I'll have more coherent thoughts later.

Last edited by JoeD80; 04-17-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Alyt, B5 Script Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
Richard Compton seemed to go from enthusiastic to jaded very quickly.
Joe, I think the reason for this will be apparent when you've read the Christy Marx interview in volume two.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Confirmed User

Well it sounded like from Compton's second interview that he would have quit on his own anyway.

I love these little tidbits of Joe's random notes here and there. Elric being the man in-between can make a lot of sense. Hopefully we will see more of these notes. BTW, wouldn't Comes the Inquisitor count as a "human raised by Vorlons" story?

Last edited by JoeD80; 04-17-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Alyt, B5 Script Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
I love these little tidbits of Joe's random notes here and there. Elric being the man in-between can make a lot of sense. Hopefully we will see more of these notes. BTW, wouldn't Comes the Inquisitor count as a "human raised by Vorlons" story?
There will be more notes here and there.

Now that you mention it, the "human raised by Vorlons" could have evolved into Sebastian. Certainly, variations on "Comes the Inquisitor" were being worked on throughout season two. The "dark carnival" episode--I think it was slotted into 211 on that list of stories, but I don't have the book in front of me--was the "Sebastian D'Arque" episode for which an outline (or two) appeared in Artifacts from Beyond the Rim.

Based on stuff is one of Larry DiTillio's interviews (in Echoes Volume 1), I imagined the "human raised by Vorlons" would have been more akin the title character in Star Trek's "Charlie X"--a man with seemingly superhuman abilities.

Given that the concept stopped recurring in JMS's notes at the end of season two, I suspect the notion was divided between Sebastian the Inquisitor and the Vorlon-augmented Lyta Alexander that debuted in "Gethsemane."
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Confirmed User

Volume 2 just arrived today. More comments later.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM

I have absolutely nothing to base this on but...it occurs to me that a perfect candidate to be raised by Vorlons would have been Sheridan & Delenn's son David. At some point it was planned for him to come from the future to oppose Sheridan's policies, it seems like getting the tech from the Vorlons to do that would be perfect.

And I've had a strone case of deja vu while typing this so if I've broached the idea before and it's been shot down, please disregard.

Jan
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Alyt, B5 Script Team

I don't know about Vorlons having the time travel technology necessary to send David Sheridan back to 2262 from some point in the future (perhaps 2278, and he was opposing Sheridan under the influence of his keeper?), but I kind of wish JMS had used the tv movie that became Thirdspace to explore the origins of the Great Machine, as he originally planned.

Sadly, the only evidence of that concept seem to be a few comments made by JMS online and one memo where Draal is listed amongst the cast of TNT MOW2. I suspect the fact that Louis Turenne (the original Draal) seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth after playing Theo in "And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place" and the fact that John Schuck (the rejuvenized Draal) was always unavailable due to Broadway gigs may have played a part in the movie changing subject from the Great Machine to the Thirdspace jumpgate.

As an addendum, the late Brian McDermott (Durhan, from "Learning Curve") played Draal in the live-action footage filmed for the Babylon 5 computer game in 1998 because Turenne couldn't be found and Schuck was on stage in New York.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavis View Post
I don't know about Vorlons having the time travel technology necessary to send David Sheridan back to 2262 from some point in the future (perhaps 2278, and he was opposing Sheridan under the influence of his keeper?)
Oooh...hadn't thought of that. Do we have any indication of the age of the visitor from the future?

Quote:
...but I kind of wish JMS had used the tv movie that became Thirdspace to explore the origins of the Great Machine, as he originally planned.
Yeah, that one wasn't my favorite movie - but I'm not a Lovecraft fan.

Quote:
As an addendum, the late Brian McDermott (Durhan, from "Learning Curve") played Draal in the live-action footage filmed for the Babylon 5 computer game in 1998 because Turenne couldn't be found and Schuck was on stage in New York.
Wow, I didn't know that. Cool!

Jan
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Alyt, B5 Script Team

There needs to be a B5 trivia game where one could ask the question, "Who were the three actors who played Draal?" That'll stump anyone but Janet Greek and the folks reading this thread.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Confirmed User

and Jan, Jan knows all and sees all, ALL HAIL JAN.
Phaze
on the "hides from Jan and the spiky mod stick" ID
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: