JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Old 04-27-2012, 07:27 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
B5 commemorative plates, as in dinner plates.
Or that. It's been a while.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Confirmed User

For me Sheldon and his dislike for Babylon 5 smacks of the writers dislike for the show and having never seen it all, completely ill informed. I don't recall Sheldon's comments but they are not based on someone who has seen the entire show & in the correct episode order and claims to love science fiction.

Last edited by valens_shadow; 05-10-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 AM
ISN Anchor

Send a message via AIM to OmahaStar Send a message via MSN to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by valens_shadow View Post
For me Sheldon and his dislike for Babylon 5 smacks of the writers dislike for the show and having never seen it all, completely ill informed. I don't recall Sheldon's comments but they are not based on someone who has seen the entire show & in the correct episode order and claims to love science fiction.
Sorry, can't help but disagree with this. *Sheldon* does not like the series, but the other 3 guys do, and have expressed their love of the show more than once. It's the character, not the writers, who dislike B5.

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast
Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 AM

I agree with Omaha. It's never a good idea to ascribe to the writer what his characters might say. It may be, but it may be the exact opposite. After all, JMS writes very well about religion considering he's an atheist.

Jan
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Sleeping In Light

A little semi-off topic, but I've found the last few episodes to be not quite as funny as the ones prior, and feel like they're kinda wrapping up their situationally funny plotlines. Anyone else get this vibe?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Spam Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
JMS writes very well about religion considering he's an atheist.
That's because he's a non-intellectually-lazy UberGeek.
He nails stuff, because he's meticulous, detail oriented, and driven by a respect-based world view.

The BBT writers have done a generally good job of creating our beloved Nerd Herd, but they often take lazy liberties with Sheldon.

Take the haircut ep as a good example. That was particularly ironic, given that Jim Parsons had just changed his this season (I still have the occasional mental double take). If they had used the ep to explain changing his hair, it would have made sense. Since it had changed before they filmed it, it undermined the entire premise of the ep.

I "get" the logic of a plot point where Sheldon is in conflict with the rest of the Herd over a TV program. Much of the humor is from such conflicts. It's just that their best humor has usually been from turning conflict into cooperation/understanding, which is much more satisfying. It also takes more effort. They've been drifting away from that superior experience, which is why the series is less enjoyable (IMO).

The solution:
Get back to their roots.
Start with an ep where the Herd does a "Babylon 5 intervention" (sort of like the car driving one, but successful). Have Sheldon see the light, and go into Happy Geek Mode.
Then, of course, start having that as a recurring in-joke (Sheldon begging the guys to watch the next ep), eventually leading to a JMS cameo.

Plus, if they wrote it well, we'd get more converts.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
A little semi-off topic, but I've found the last few episodes to be not quite as funny as the ones prior, and feel like they're kinda wrapping up their situationally funny plotlines. Anyone else get this vibe?
Not particularly. I thought the episode last week where Wolowitz was trying his hardest to not postpone the wedding while everyone else said he should go into space and not to worry about it was pretty funny; (haven't watched the new one that follows this up yet though). Not quite as hilarious as Sheldon breaking the transporter toy and having Spock's voice in his head but still about what I expect from the show.

Last edited by JoeD80; 05-12-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaStar View Post
Sorry, can't help but disagree with this. *Sheldon* does not like the series, but the other 3 guys do, and have expressed their love of the show more than once. It's the character, not the writers, who dislike B5.
perhaps someone with a better memory could quote what Sheldon said but someone so into their science-fiction call Babylon 5 derivative and whatever else he said smacks of some Star Trek fan who never gave the show a chance. Adding to the fact that Sheldon is a genius with an eidetic memory should be able to string all the threads together better than any of us, and be absolutely blown away by it. No whichever writer came up with that was his own foibles, and that guy is first and foremost a Star Trek original series fan. I'm not saying some of the other writers don't like Babylon 5 but the show is paid barely any attention, always in favour of Star Trek or even Battlestar Galactica.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Confirmed User

Lighten up man, it’s a character talking on a tv show. A tv show highlighting geekery, and that includes the extremes of fandom. What the writers are doing, tapping into that, should be kind of obvious. And of course ST and BSG gets more script time, as do comics, toy collecting, batman, World of Warcraft, etc., they all have more fans. ; )
It's the oldest trick in the book, and the lowest, also the meanest, to take someone's words and paraphrase them to your own benefit, and characterize them with loaded terms to make the other person look bad. Frankly, this kind of tactic is beneath contempt. Grow up.
J. Michael Straczynski
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Confirmed User

^
Pretty sure B5 has been mentioned more often than BSG on the show.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
And of course ST and BSG gets more script time, as do comics, toy collecting, batman, World of Warcraft, etc., they all have more fans. ; )
And Halo. Don't forget Halo.

Jan
Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Confirmed User

I'd be more offended by Sheldon's opinion if he wasn't wrong about so much!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Sleeping In Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
Not particularly. I thought the episode last week where Wolowitz was trying his hardest to not postpone the wedding while everyone else said he should go into space and not to worry about it was pretty funny; (haven't watched the new one that follows this up yet though). Not quite as hilarious as Sheldon breaking the transporter toy and having Spock's voice in his head but still about what I expect from the show.
I think that's the difference. Even the thought of Sheldon breaking the transporter toy with the Spock voice makes me smile. The new stuff isn't as memorable.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
Lighten up man, itÆs a character talking on a tv show. A tv show highlighting geekery, and that includes the extremes of fandom. What the writers are doing, tapping into that, should be kind of obvious. And of course ST and BSG gets more script time, as do comics, toy collecting, batman, World of Warcraft, etc., they all have more fans. ; )
I know and I still love the show, big bang theory is the only sitcom I like at the moment. It just irks me as Sheldon should be a Babylon 5 fan and I don't feel his comments are consistent with the character .
Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 AM

Found on the Sheldon Cooper vs Babylon 5 FB page. A series of YouTube vids following a 'n00b' watching the show for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW0aR9RHrZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCzJL...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlNMS...feature=relmfu

I think these are the only three so far. Hope they continue.

Jan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: