JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

Yeah, the US-centricity is a bit of a problem, but not one that can really be solved. Hollywood still tends to see the US as the centre of the world, with international sales being a lot less significant to whether something is considered a success - though this is slowly changing.

One thing that might help: get some celebrity fans to tweet/post about it. Damon Lindelof is a big fan, I think so is Steven Moffat. Even just a few words from these people would help raise the show's profile.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:46 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
That's been changed to include TV. But a sufficient budget and total creative control are still requirements.

Jan
Thank you, Jan! I knew I could count on you for a straight answer; now I know, it's given me something to focus on. That's all I ask; I need a focal point, I'm that kind of chap. So cheers!

It helps to know what the hoped-for end result is, and the reason I say that is because I've seen revival campaigns before, (not B5 but elsewhere), and not only can they end with a crushing "No,", they can also have the very people you're trying to help turn against you..., so I'm grateful to Jan for giving us all something to aim for together. As long as we're all on the same page, we'll hopefully avoid the experiences I've seen before. Us B5-ers have gotta stick together!

Quote:
Mac, that's the whole point of this campaign.
I've asked the Missus and friends to add us to their facebooks, and I will try to get in touch with the station that first aired B5 in the UK, (I'm in the UK's broadcast range). They have a sister channel aimed at teenagers, where they broadcast 'Charmed', believe it or not my Mum's fave TV show! If they can broadcast a fantasy show produced at roughly the same time as B5, then surely they've got room (on their main channel or their teen version) for repeats of B5....

Last edited by Sinclair's Fan; 09-03-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Confirmed User

when I googled #FreeBabylon5 yesterday it came up with four results. A little while ago it now comes with three pages.

how about posting #FreeBabylon5 across somewhere like Amazon.com ? Not even solely on Babylon 5 related products/topics, but anything and everything on the entire site, reviews, questions, comments. Maybe it will get people talking or even the media pick up on it? I know it's a gimmick but isn't all publicity is good publicity?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio1980 View Post
US-centric.
I think the point of the campaign is to get the show back on the air in some form in the U.S., however, the GOAL is to increase interest, motivate the fans, and increase the number of U.S. fans. Growing the U.S. fan base with the obvious large number of worldwide fans creates more of a force to be reckoned with. It also shows that we are a unified worldwide fan base if we have all of the support possible from people outside the U.S. Having that as public knowledge can could actually be the reason people become fans. Knowing there are fans everywhere can make people want to become fans. And more fans hopefully translates to good things. And Facebook is a place where numbers of fans can be displayed and shockingly might produce a result.

Last edited by Looney; 09-03-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 AM

Wow, some cool things happened overnight! First off, Ranger Jenny and Ranger Tracy have created #FreeBabylon5 t-shirts and will be raising funds for two wonderful causes at the same time!

Tfund is a way of crowdfunding without a lot of complicated rewards. All you need to do is buy a T-shirt! If all 25 are sold of a particular color choice, that one will be made and sent to you. If not, your credit card won't be charged. Sounds great, right?

But wait! There's More! Profits from the shirts will be split evenly between Claudia Christian's C Three Foundation and Patricia Tallman's Be A Santa program.

But wait! There's More! You've got two choices of colors. What colors, you ask? What else but Drazi Green and Drazi Purple (or Drazi Purple and Drazi Green)! So choose your shirt and wear your color with pride! It would be a real shame if your favorite color didn't get made because you didn't buy a shirt, right?

The nitty-gritty: Only 25 shirts are available in each color so far. And there's only 21 days left to order and make sure your favorite color will be made!

ETA: Yikes! Forgot the links!
Green: http://www.tfund.com/FreeBabylon5GreenT

Purple:
http://www.tfund.com/FreeBabylon5Purple

Thanks Rangers Tracy and Jenny!

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 09-03-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 AM

A nice article on TV Wise about the birth of the campaign:

Quote:
J. Michael Straczynski Wants æBabylon 5′ Back On U.S. Television, Hopes It Will Lead To New Entry In Franchise
http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/09/jms-...-s-television/

Jan
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Confirmed User

Thanks Jan, I love this picture!

Hey, 'Spaced'... that's one of our shows!

We're off to a good start.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 AM

That was made by Ranger Tracy and Claudia posted it to her page. Isn't it great? Keep spreading it around.

Jan
Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Confirmed User

Letter sent to Syfy. I'm proudly waving the #FreeBabylon5 flag. Where else are we focusing our efforts?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 AM

I'd definitely send a letter to WB and let them know that we want it made available. And I was thinking the Science channel might be a good idea. I know they did Firefly a couple of times and somebody mention that they thought they'd shown Fringe, too.

And ANY contact info y'all find, please post it here!! We're working on a list to give people.

Also, we need a petition site that will send an email to WB with every person who clicks (not a compilation). Anybody know of a reputable petition site that won't farm for data and isn't mostly political?

Thanks!!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Confirmed User

ItÆs only a suggestion based on personal observation over the years.

While the ôRangerö Tracy and ôRangerö Jenny type thing is fine within what might be considered the hardcore of the fan base. ThereÆs chance you might turn some people off the idea if continuing with it too much if this goes out into the wider world.

Most people who enjoy sci-fi donÆt like being called sci-fi fans because of the image it invokes in the minds of others û geeks dressing up and talking into communicators.
It's the oldest trick in the book, and the lowest, also the meanest, to take someone's words and paraphrase them to your own benefit, and characterize them with loaded terms to make the other person look bad. Frankly, this kind of tactic is beneath contempt. Grow up.
J. Michael Straczynski
Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Wow, some cool things happened overnight! First off, Ranger Jenny and Ranger Tracy have created #FreeBabylon5 t-shirts and will be raising funds for two wonderful causes at the same time!

Tfund is a way of crowdfunding without a lot of complicated rewards. All you need to do is buy a T-shirt! If all 25 are sold of a particular color choice, that one will be made and sent to you. If not, your credit card won't be charged. Sounds great, right?

But wait! There's More! Profits from the shirts will be split evenly between Claudia Christian's C Three Foundation and Patricia Tallman's Be A Santa program.

But wait! There's More! You've got two choices of colors. What colors, you ask? What else but Drazi Green and Drazi Purple (or Drazi Purple and Drazi Green)! So choose your shirt and wear your color with pride! It would be a real shame if your favorite color didn't get made because you didn't buy a shirt, right?

The nitty-gritty: Only 25 shirts are available in each color so far. And there's only 21 days left to order and make sure your favorite color will be made!

ETA: Yikes! Forgot the links!
Green: http://www.tfund.com/FreeBabylon5GreenT

Purple:
http://www.tfund.com/FreeBabylon5Purple

Thanks Rangers Tracy and Jenny!

Jan
does that include postage and packing costs?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valens_shadow View Post
does that include postage and packing costs?
Nope. It was $4 for my order. I read on another site that doing it this way doesn't allow for combining ordering one of each so that's something to be aware of.

Jan
Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
It’s only a suggestion based on personal observation over the years.

While the “Ranger” Tracy and “Ranger” Jenny type thing is fine within what might be considered the hardcore of the fan base. There’s chance you might turn some people off the idea if continuing with it too much if this goes out into the wider world.

Most people who enjoy sci-fi don’t like being called sci-fi fans because of the image it invokes in the minds of others – geeks dressing up and talking into communicators.
I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think anyone beyond the hardcore fans is going to even see the t-shirt thing. Me, I'm a 'covert' geek, except maybe my online persona, but I don't tend to flaunt it in my day to day life. Each to their own I guess, but we should just stay most focused on spreading the word.

On that topic, has anyone found a contact we can use for Netflix USA and UK? Perhaps make them aware of the campaign. In my strange little world, Netflix is more important than TV.

Kosh: Good!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
And more fans hopefully translates to good things. And Facebook is a place where numbers of fans can be displayed and shockingly might produce a result.
Just to make sure: I'm not saying I won't do anything at all . I already liked the Facebook-page, bought one of the t-shirts (even though postage was rather expensive with around $ 20), and plan on including #FreeBabylon5 in my forum signatures around the World Wide Web as soon as I find the time to do so. But when it comes to some sort of letter campain to SyFy etc., I don't really see myself participating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan View Post
Thanks Jan, I love this picture!

That pictures's missing King of Queens, by the way. They mentioned it once in an episode, outing spence as a "Babylon 5" fan .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: