JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Spam Slayer

Thumbs up

For the first time ever (in over 4 decades of being a fan), I got to see the first ep of a new Doctor broadcast in real time!

I liked it, and liked her.
Immediately after, I checked here, to read the chatter... and nothing. Scary.

Shall we begin?

I'd only seen Jodi in "Broadchurch", and this was a major difference. I would not have recognized her if I hadn't known it was her, which is always a good sign (IMO).
As a Downton Abbey fan, it was a delight to hear her native Yorkshire accent ("lots of planets have a North").

The new Companions are good, staying to Whovian roots yet being fresh.

The only thing I did not like was the comment about knives, which struck me as idiotic. Most of us use a knife daily for routine life activities ranging from food prep to opening packages. They're tools, first and foremost.

Minor point: either Jodi has really big feet, or Peter has very small feet.
They should have dealt with the shoe size issue, as part of the ep. They could have had fun with it.

I had two strong B5 brain flashovers during the first ep...
The last name of one of the new Companions is "Sinclair".
The "mysterious blue object" struck me as a flattened, blue colored Minbari butterfly pod.

P.S. Jonas, your wife rocks.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Good to see you, Chipmunk!

I, too, got to watch it in real time (thanks to a friend reminding me when it was). I liked it and I liked her. And I liked the new companions...though I'll miss the one we lost.

Looking forward to more once we get past the 'confused while finishing regenerating' phase. I don't generally care much for that part.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 10-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Friendly Archaeologist

Now I have managed to see the first Jodie episode as well and I was pleasantly surprised. The new doctor was fun and had some nice similarities with the Eccleston, Tennant, Smith doctors. I am somewhat partial to Jodies dialect so that helps a bit to.

The episode as whole was rather ordinary and had some quick jumps that felt like edits to save time and the new companions is yet an open question as they made no impression on me at all.

I also found the object to be slightly Minbari Chipmunk. This whole thing might be something the warrior cast arrange from time to time. I would not be surprised.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: