JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 05-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Vorlon Visitor

S1 re-watch, what did you notice the second time around?

In preparation for S2, I decided to re-watch S1.

I must admit I am quite enjoying it. I forgot how powerful the opening secenes of the first episode are. Just really well assembled and loaded with information.

I have now finished watching the first four episodes, and one thing that really struck me is how present the theme of 'mothers' is in S1. It's all about birth.

There are some very seamless cuts that link this theme, there's a particularly great ultra smooth transition/cut from the diamond dealer and Wolfgang in Episode 4, closing with 'It's what your mother would have done', seguing right into Capheus and his mother debating the risk he's taken to get her medication. Then there are also the momories of Sun's mother that haunt her, Riley losing her opportunity to be a mother when she tragically loses her child, and the BIG obvious one of Angelica birthing the new cluster.

And then there's the heavy presence of Ganesha in Kala's story, which promoted me to read up a bit on this deity, this is from wikipedia, my own emphasis added in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia entry on Ganesha
The word gaņa when associated with Ganesha is often taken to refer to the gaņas, a troop of semi-divine beings that form part of the retinue of Shiva, Ganesha's father.[16] The term more generally means a category, class, community, association, or corporation.[17] Some commentators interpret the name "Lord of the Gaņas" to mean "Lord of Hosts" or "Lord of created categories", such as the elements.[18] Ganapati (गणपति; gaṇapati), a synonym for Ganesha, is a compound composed of gaṇa, meaning "group", and pati, meaning "ruler" or "lord".[17] Though the earliest mention of the word Ganapati is found in hymn 2.23.1 of the 2nd-millennium BCE Rigveda, it is however uncertain that the Vedic term referred specifically to Ganesha.[19][20] The Amarakosha,[21] an early Sanskrit lexicon, lists eight synonyms of Ganesha: Vinayaka, Vighnarāja (equivalent to Vighnesha), Dvaimātura (one who has two mothers),[22] Gaṇādhipa (equivalent to Ganapati and Ganesha), Ekadanta (one who has one tusk), Heramba, Lambodara (one who has a pot belly, or, literally, one who has a hanging belly), and Gajanana (gajānana); having the face of an elephant.
Some nice details I really didn't quite clock on my first watch. Cool, no?

Kosh: Good!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:27 AM

More and more I'm noticing mirrors. Somehow I'm expecting that to be more important, albeit subtle, than is immediately apparent. Yes, it's a cool filming technique but I'm going to be on the lookout for a more symbolic meaning.

One reason I'm thinking that is thinking back to how candles became an important symbol of life in B5. Long before we saw Delenn explaining to John about the candle symbolizing all life, we saw G'Kar waiting and praying in his quarters as more and more candles were extinguished.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
More and more I'm noticing mirrors. Somehow I'm expecting that to be more important, albeit subtle, than is immediately apparent. Yes, it's a cool filming technique but I'm going to be on the lookout for a more symbolic meaning.

One reason I'm thinking that is thinking back to how candles became an important symbol of life in B5. Long before we saw Delenn explaining to John about the candle symbolizing all life, we saw G'Kar waiting and praying in his quarters as more and more candles were extinguished.
Thus far mirrors have had a 'revealing' function, many of the sensates first see each other via a mirror. There's also that first encounter with Whispers via Nyles. He is revealed in the mirror before shooting himself / host. Perhaps the mirror image shows something of the true self?

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 05-04-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
"The mirror is actually a mirror. When Neo sees it it’s a hallucination, but it’s the direct result of the pill Morpheus has given Neo. Reflections in general are a significant theme in the film. The ideas of worlds within worlds.."

"The idea of the reflection, the two Neo’s in Morpheus glasses, is that that represents the two lives that Neo is leading. In the left lens, we see the blue pill and Thomas Anderson, and in the right lens, we see the red pill and Neo.. Neo is Thomas Anderson’s potential self."

The Wachowskis on The Matrix' mirror imagery.

Last edited by sense8ional; 05-04-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 PM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

One Earring

Re-watching tonight I noticed (again) that Gunnar (Riley's father). has only one earring.

In B5 we see Ivanova like that, and there is an explanation. I wonder if that will be touched on in season 2 or later.

What do you think ?

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlurker View Post
Re-watching tonight I noticed (again) that Gunnar (Riley's father). has only one earring.

In B5 we see Ivanova like that, and there is an explanation. I wonder if that will be touched on in season 2 or later.

What do you think ?
I'd sort of noticed that but I've long ago lost track of any meaning that earrings on men used to mean or still means. It would be cool to find out if there's any meaning to it, though.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:11 PM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I'd sort of noticed that but I've long ago lost track of any meaning that earrings on men used to mean or still means. It would be cool to find out if there's any meaning to it, though.
She gave one to her brother to get back "when" he returned. As we all know that he did not.

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 05-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlurker View Post
She gave one to her brother to get back "when" he returned. As we all know that he did not.
I know about Ivanova's brother. I just don't know of any present day code. Used to be one knew something about sexual preference from which side a single earring was worn.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Just a fan

I think that's just how KK, the guy who plays Riley's dad, looks in real life (one earring).
Old 05-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Just a fan

Episode 8, when Whispers rings the doorbell of Amanita's mom's home and Will and Nomi have just discovered that BPO is behind everything.

Quote:
Will: Don't look at him.
Nomi: Why?
Will: Jonas told me that's how he hunts.
But as far as I can tell Jonas never told him that! The last time that he spoke with Jonas was in episode 4 where Jonas told Will the visiting vs sharing rules. Jonas didn't say anything about Whispers, or any other BPO personnel, nor did he say that looking a sensate in the eye can potentially be dangerous. All he told Will is to hurry and save Nomi.

Then in episode 10, Jonas does say to not look Whispers in the eye, and Will reacts as if he's being told for the first time.

Quote:
Jonas: They're gonna try to use me to get to you
and the rest of your cluster.

Will: The one who came for Nomi, Dr. Matheson?

Jonas: He uses many names. Angelica called him Whispers. Never look him in the eye. Never.

Will: Angelica. That's why she killed herself. To protect us.
So what happened there? Some rewrite or deleted scene? Am I forgetting some scene where Jonas told Will about it earlier?

Sure, Will has dreams of Sara telling him not to look at Whispers - which is why the audience is able to follow along with the notion that simply looking at him can be bad - but as far as I can tell when in episode 8 Will says that Jonas told him that, that simply never happened, or if it happened it wasn't shown.

Last edited by sense8ional; 05-18-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: