JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
For those wondering if the shots of two clustermates fighting at the same time at the end of the special was an editing error:
Ohhh, that's cool. I am guessing a 'multi-share' whereby one individual can use the abilities of multiple sensates.

I do have a few S2 theories of my own around Whispers,
and I think there might be a stronger connection to a former Sensate than we might suspect. Of course I am speculating as to the identity of his wife. Part of me thinks he might have been part of the previous cluster. Same as Jonas.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 01-04-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
For those wondering if the shots of two clustermates fighting at the same time at the end of the special was an editing error:
Links for future reference:
https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...37003762356224
https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...37262467076096

Glad he put this to rest. It really didn't make sense for it to be an editing error because the actors wouldn't be told to go in front of the camera at the same time if that wasn't their intention in the first place... (I won't even comment on the astral projection/teleportation theory ). I was very surprised to see so many threads about "did you catch that little mistake?" since the release of the Special.

Some other cool tweets I've noticed:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...92659422580736

Quote:
@nbmarzouqa Actually, in our earliest drafts one of the cluster was a young Arab woman but as the story grew she got swapped out
https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...38373166620672

Quote:
@FreemaOfficial BTW, as the guy who coined Nomanita during the writing process, it occurred to me then that Amanomi works also works well.
https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...63431760805888

Quote:
While researching broken penises for #sense8 I learned that in Jamaica the rate tripled due to "daggering" while dancing.
--

Deleted scenes:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFT4fI_wEPH/

The same scene in the exact same location but with Rajan behind her is in the Special. I think the original intention was to have Kala be thinking of Wolfgang hugging her while Rajan hugs her, but they cut Wolfgang.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFwep7MQEBf/

Where is Riley? A restaurant? And is she really there, or visiting/sharing? The place could be the beach in Positano (I mean at the very least it's filmed in Positano) right before Rajan reveals to Kala he's throwing a birthday party, but the thing is Riley does not wear those clothes at all in the Special I think? Perhaps it's something that involved Ameen's Capheus and had to go then? Also note how many scenes are inside the parentheses in the clapperboard, which I haven't really seen before in their other pictures. Does that indicate the scene is part of a montage perhaps?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGWwmSAQEGK/

They wear these clothes during the "we'll let the fates decide for tomorrow, but today I'll decide" scene. While they kiss, Rajan doesn't take her in his arms in the episode itself.

Kick Gurry as "Puck" filmed scenes in Positano with Middleton's Riley but his character has yet to be introduced. Likely these scenes despite being filmed in Positano are meant to be taking place elsewhere so they are not really "deleted". See:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF1VHB0QEDs/
http://68.media.tumblr.com/e02b0894c...klp32_1280.jpg

Since Riley wears the same clothes she did in the last scenes of the Special (I think? see: http://68.media.tumblr.com/51fae4824...klp32_1280.jpg ), Puck is likely to introduced very soon (in the very next episode?).

Lastly, they didn't show us the inside of the church in Mexico's Metepec despite filming there, and the extras were told to be singing "Silent Night" at the time, while in the final cut "Hallelujah" from the San Francisco scenes is heard. Also I don't think the mouths of.. pretty much no one, really matches with "Hallelujah", so perhaps initially they were actually singing "Silent Night" even in San Francisco?

Last edited by sense8ional; 01-03-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:28 PM

Such an educational show to write for!

The other day it was broken penises....

ETA: He's right on the former but the latter sounds kind of intriguing...

Last edited by Jan; 01-04-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26 AM
Just a fan

If you check on Netflix today, you'll find out that the title of the special has been changed from "A Christmas Special" to "Happy F*cking New Year" (and equivalent translations in other languages)!!

Makes sense, because S1's titles were all lines from the episodes themselves. I wonder if they had already picked this title but thought it wouldn't help them capitalize on the idea of Christmas specials so they left it for later.

edit JMS says S2 will be more scifi: https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...90478079172608

Quote:
@straczynski serious question though. Is #sense8 sci-fii or fantasy and why?

@TassiePrick S1 of #sense8 probably more fantasy, but a lot of research went into this, which will come out in S2, so more SF at that point

Last edited by sense8ional; 01-05-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
If you check on Netflix today, you'll find out that the title of the special has been changed from "A Christmas Special" to "Happy F*cking New Year" (and equivalent translations in other languages)!!

Makes sense, because S1's titles were all lines from the episodes themselves. I wonder if they had already picked this title but thought it wouldn't help them capitalize on the idea of Christmas specials so they left it for later.
That makes sense.

Quote:
edit JMS says S2 will be more scifi: https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...90478079172608
Missed that one! We did catch a glimpse of Angelica in an institutional setting in the special. That might be part of it.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Confirmed User

We never saw these two scenes from the Xmas special trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7JTJzb6ybQ

And we didn't hear Sun's opening quote.

Think they were cut or will be a part of S2?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:44 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
Amen to that! So curious to see the tone of S2 and progression of the overarching plot.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Just a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceofsin View Post
We never saw these two scenes from the Xmas special trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7JTJzb6ybQ

And we didn't hear Sun's opening quote.

Think they were cut or will be a part of S2?
Cut until proven otherwise I say. I wrote a few things about cut scenes and such on this page a few posts above.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Just a fan

Two music tracks featured in the Special managed to chart in the Top 10 of TV songs for December 2016, based on "cumulative monthly Shazam tags, as well as sales and streaming information tracked by Nielsen Music during the same period."

Shazam is basically an app/service you use to identify a song you don't know.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...chart-december

Quote:
Here is the full Top TV Songs chart for December:

Rank, Title, Artist, TV Show (Network)

1. "Way Down We Go," Kaleo, The Vampire Diaries (The CW)
2. "Wild Horses," Bishop Briggs, Good Behavior (TNT)
3. "I'd Love to Change the World (Matstubs Remix)," Jetta, Sense8 (Netflix)
4. "Downtown," Majical Cloudz, The OA (Netflix)
5. "Show Me Love," Laura Mvula, Shameless (Showtime)
6. "You Don't Get Me High Anymore," Phantogram, Sweet/Vicious (MTV)
7. "Only at Christmas Time," Sufjan Stevens, This Is Us (NBC)
8. "Spirit Cold," Tall Heights, Pure Genius (CBS)
9. "Feeling Good," Avicii, Sense8 (Netflix)
10. "Operate," ASTR, Good Behavior (TNT)
Predictably, "I'd Love to Change the World", the one placed higher between the two, is from the orgy sequence.

Last edited by sense8ional; 01-11-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Confirmed User

Okay so I finally made time to sit down and focus. I don't know what to say. I think I agree with every complaint others have voiced, but at the same time I loved every minute of it. I admit it is far from perfect . . FAR from perfect, but I wanted more and I can't wait until May. It is strange and I can't explain it, but I think I am riding a bit of a high from just having the new material to watch.

They really could have done many things better, but there are many things they could have glossed over and instead they made them better, like Rajan. I think we all know it is a bit obvious where they are likely going to go with regard to his character, but in this special I love how they surprised me with him. After Season One I thought, "Oh if they get married the honeymoon will end quick and we'll see he is really a bad guy and blah, blah, blah." But nope! They went the other way and now I have a feeling I might end up feeling very sorry for this guy. As a matter of fact I thought there would be less of significant others over time and this special seemed to make them even more important than Season One did.

I hate what they did with Will and Riley, but I love how they explained there being reasoning behind it. I just hope they pull out of it and it doesn't become an ongoing crisis.

So I will speak to the disjointed nature of everything that seemed to pop its head in from time to time. I agree that it made it feel like we were sometimes watching vignettes that didn't tie together too well, but I also feel like we were watching a mini-condensed season - where not a lot happened with certain characters. lol

Honestly I think I could go on and on talking about the good and the bad. The truth of the matter is I didn't have high hopes and I do recognize that there are things they could have done much better, but whatever combination of stuff they put in front of me just created this intense desire for May to get here so I can see more.

QUESTION: Am I forgetting something? Riley, Will, and Nomi seem concerned about the Whispers' issue, while the others are just wrapped up in their own issues and conflicts. Do the others not know about the Whispers' threat and I am just forgetting that fact because it has been too long? Did I forget they don't know or is the show just doing a really bad job of showing that others are aware of the threat? It seems crazy that they don't know, so the show must be doing a poor job of getting that across, right?
Old 01-13-2017, 04:15 AM
Just a fan

Of course they do know, I mean Will hasn't visited them for months, there's no way they don't know why he is "unavailable". But, yeah, they didn't really comment on it. They didn't even show the group saying "Oh, hi Will, we missed you, how are you?" when he came.. "online" for his birthday.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
QUESTION: Am I forgetting something? Riley, Will, and Nomi seem concerned about the Whispers' issue, while the others are just wrapped up in their own issues and conflicts. Do the others not know about the Whispers' threat and I am just forgetting that fact because it has been too long? Did I forget they don't know or is the show just doing a really bad job of showing that others are aware of the threat? It seems crazy that they don't know, so the show must be doing a poor job of getting that across, right?
To be picky, Nomi isn't really concerned about Whispers, either, she's busy staying a fugitive which is only tangentially related to Whispers. And really, I kind of wonder why they're still looking for her so hard given that Metzger's dead.

They know - but what can they do about it? Nothing at the moment. Would the special have been better by having a line from Sun, Capheus, Lito, Kala and Wolfgang about how worried they are about Whispers? Or show them having a 'staff meeting'? (actually, that might be kinda cool) I've said that I'm disappointed that Kala's apparently not working on something to help keep Will hidden but that's my only quibble on that front.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Vorlon Visitor

I honestly think the Xmas special exemplified one of the issues with the show in general; that it's very hard to tell 8 different stories, all in different geographical locations in a balanced manner. Whilst the sensates can share and visit, it still makes for sometimes awkward storytelling as you have 8 distinct threads, more if you consider other periphary characters like Whispers and Jonas. And of course, everyone is going to have threads that interest them and those that don't. I could still happily ditch Kala's story entirely (at present) and not be too bothered. Hoping that one will surprise me later on and i have to eat my words!

In some ways, I am very keen to see the Sensates come to together in the same location at some point. I look forward to all the threads converging into one, because it can and does feel scattershot at times.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
To be picky, Nomi isn't really concerned about Whispers, either, she's busy staying a fugitive which is only tangentially related to Whispers. And really, I kind of wonder why they're still looking for her so hard given that Metzger's dead.

They know - but what can they do about it? Nothing at the moment. Would the special have been better by having a line from Sun, Capheus, Lito, Kala and Wolfgang about how worried they are about Whispers? Or show them having a 'staff meeting'? (actually, that might be kinda cool) I've said that I'm disappointed that Kala's apparently not working on something to help keep Will hidden but that's my only quibble on that front.
Nomi may not be concerned about Whispers specifically, but she is on the run because of Whispers and his organization. They are really who is hunting her and she has to know that. If the government catches her she ends up back in the hands of the people who were trying to keep her in that hospital. Side note: I am actually wondering if the Agent who is after her isn't just someone else from Whispers' organization.

And the key thing that the other members of the group should be doing with relation to the Whispers' threat is being paranoid about it. I didn't mean they should be jumping on planes to meet up with each other, but they should be showing concern for being hunted. They should be paranoid that they are going to see Whispers next or that suddenly they are going to end up in a hospital being held against their will. You know something. Especially Sun who is already caged, though she is in such a bad place right now you couldn't really say that paranoia isn't something that is on her mind. I guess my point is that it seems illogical that any of them would assume they are safe from Whispers' group, so why don't they seem more cautious and paranoid about it?
Old 07-06-2017, 04:50 AM
Vorlon Visitor

I had to laugh, I met up with a friend the other day who had been working her way through Sense8 S1 on the recommendation of myself and another of her friends.

She had just finished S1, and had just watched the Xmas special when we met, which had stopped her in her tracks. She has, temporarily, stopped watching the show because of it! She couldn't take another montage, or Riley staring wistfully into the distance, or Kala's plot line being largely pointless. She's got a lot of work on right now, so may yet return to it.

However, her main complaint was that she wished the show had been Sense6 or Sense5. I think I had similar feelings on S1. She was into the overall premise, but felt plot lines were stretched too thin and some characters were a bit like cardboard cutouts and could easily be ditched for a more focused show.

Anyhow, I am encouraging her to soldier on, emphasising that S2 really ups the tempo. I did find it interesting that it was the Xmas special that had pretty much turned a viewer off wanting to see more due to it being a bit of a dud.

Last edited by Ubik; 07-06-2017 at 04:56 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: