JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 07-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Just a fan

Took forever for Clayton to post about the renewal but she finally did and explained that she was otherwise busy: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWarNQJlAjZ/

Quote:
HELLO WORLD!! I'm back!! I spent a GLORIOUS 2 WEEKS up in the mountains volunteering #CampAranutiq. This was my third summer at camp with all the amazing kids!! I miss you all so much already!! #GraniteSevenDays THEN... I flew right from camp onto set of the new film I'm in... #TheChain!!! I'm so excited to share details when I'm allowed! AND YES!!!... #sense8 #sense8isback #Nomanita #Sensies @sense8 THANK YOU & BIG HUGS TO YOU ALL!!!
Phew, I was getting a little (veeeeeery little) worried haha.

Meanwhile, just like the Koreans had a get together, it's time for the native English speakers of the cast (minus Clayton) to do the same!

Onwumere, Smith and Middleton all together! https://www.instagram.com/p/BWaF_YOB6gF/

edit Oh and: http://kaylalovesharrypotter.tumblr....-comiccon-this

Quote:
Freema Agyeman was at Montreal Comiccon this weekend and obviously she talked about the whole Sense8 getting cancelled and the chaos that followed right until the announcement of the 2 hours finale…

… BUT GUYS! SHE SAID THAT “I DONT KNOW ANYTHING YET BUT I WOULD SAY THAT I DON’T THINK THIS 2 HOURS SPECIAL WILL BE THE END…!”

Of course, we all got super excited about this statement haha!
Like she said, she knows nothing and as such there's nothing to read into her "prediction". So all I'm going to say is "let's hope so"...

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-12-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:43 AM
Just a fan

Here's an article with a quote by Agyeman (the article as far as I can tell doesn't mention it's from the above event) and it's a little different: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...osure-for-fans

Quote:
Furthermore, Agyeman said she hoped that the special might not mean the end of the story, hinting that there were some hopes that Sense8 could continue in some form going forward.

“I don’t know whether this special is going to serve to wrap up all the loose ends, or whether there’s going to be some sort of agreement or arrangement for moving forward, continuing with that story arc,” she said. “I don’t know – I’m looking forward to finding out."
Quote:
“I’ve been lucky and fortunate enough to be involved in huge franchises that are very popular and have big fandoms that go with them,” the former Doctor Who star said.

“But on Sense8 I’ve had people standing in front of me literally crying with gratitude and relief, and saying that they are seeing themselves represented for the first time in an honest and true way on television.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:11 AM
Vorlon Visitor

All very interesting. I do wonder if Netflix has now heard them out on a proposal for a cheaper S3. We can but hope!

Kosh: Good!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Just a fan

I have more non-news to share.

Herrera interview: http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articu...-fin-de-sense8

(Translation: )

Quote:
"I received a letter from Netflix explaining that the story was going to come to an end with the second season and we started writing between us (the cast) and said what a bad vibe."

"Then on social networks I saw the letter of Lana (Wachowski, director and creator of the concept) of the special and I was surprised, I joined the celebration, finally we will be able to close the story," he says.
Quote:
The actor says that so far he has not received a date for the recording of the Sense8 special, or where his character will go.

"I do not know anything, I emailed Lana for her birthday and she responded by thanking me, but we could not talk," he says.
Considering Lana's birthday was on June 21, when the whole thing wasn't yet officially announced, there wasn't much to say.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Just a fan

On yesterday's conference call Netflix did not refer by name to Sense8 not even once.

All they said regarding their cancellations, in general, was that: https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...bscribers.html

Quote:
“We strive to be bold in our programming choices and financially disciplined, so we can keep being bold,” the company said. “Every show has passionate fans and committed talent striving for excellence. Sometimes those shows don’t attract as many viewers as we had hoped, compared to our other content. As much as we dislike ending a series early, it consoles us that it frees up investment for another new show, or two. We are programming to please our members and we keep that as our guiding light.”
They also spinned the cancellations again into a good thing saying they are bold to give such content a chance in the first place (which is true, of course, but it's no consolation for the viewers of course! You can't tell them to be happy about it!): http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...illion-1021852

Quote:
Later, during a conference call with investors, content chief Ted Sarandos elaborated on the cancellations, noting that "failure is not such a bad thing. If you're not failing, maybe you're not trying hard enough." He also added that 93 percent of Netflix's shows have been renewed and that, sometimes, it makes sense to ask the questions, "are we being adventurous enough?"
I hoped they would get to tell something more positive like "We are always listening to the fans of our content, and in Sense8's case we realized it didn't make sense to end the series there. We always strive to deliver a complete narrative, therefore we greenlit a special to at the very least provide some closure to the characters and story." Alas no.

With Netflix avoiding to make a reference to Sense8's renewal as if it never happened, for all intents and purposes they consider it as canceled.

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
With Netflix avoiding to make a reference to Sense8's renewal as if it never happened, for all intents and purposes they consider it as canceled.
I'd never have thought of the announced special as any kind of renewal. It's a great thing but they certainly never indicated that it was anything but what it is - a finale.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Just a fan

You are right, I am not saying otherwise, although it might seem like it.. I'm not sure exactly how to word it.

Let me give it a second try:

As a finale is also my suggestion regarding how they should refer to it (I wrote "provide some closure"), not as a renewal. (It's not).

But by omitting it entirely, by not making any reference to the finale, it's like we didn't even secure it. Like it never happened. The message in the conference call is "Oh, we canceled some series, but we have moved on!", while formally they are not done with this thing. It annoys me quite a bit!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 PM

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I can see why it seems like a slight. When I go to SDCC in a couple of days, I'll stop by the Netflix booth (blech! I hate the show floor!) and fully expect to find nothing about Sense8 at all. But I'm going to ask about it, 'cause I'm a brat that way.

But...and I'm sorry if this seems cynical of 'debbie downer' of me...but I'll really only believe that the special will happen when we start seeing pics of the script. Or maybe if JMS says something at the con. I truly hope to be proven wrong.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:29 AM
Just a fan

You are going to give me heart attack Jan!! No, I refuse to believe there's such a possibility! (Barring Acts of God, of course). That would be an epic cluster fuck of mistreating a fanbase!!! It would be one for the books!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
You are going to give me heart attack Jan!! No, I refuse to believe there's such a possibility! (Barring Acts of God, of course). That would be an epic cluster fuck of mistreating a fanbase!!! It would be one for the books!!!!!!!
Not meaning to, honest. But there's really something odd about that whole announcement - specifically that it was a note from Lana only and to this day there's been no press release from Netflix about the special.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:04 AM
Just a fan

There's precedent about missing press releases and Sense8! When Sense8 was renewed for Season 2 on August 8, 2015, there was no press release about it, just a couple of tweets! I remember it distinctly, because I found it very weird, but then I thought "maybe it's because it's Saturday and the relevant people are not working today, but on Monday they are going to draft one." But nope, nothing changed on Monday. The extend of the announcement was a couple of tweets!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Just a fan

This is timely! News by our Italian friends, and this time they wrote it in both Italian and English: https://www.facebook.com/Sense8Itali...8795225626830/

Quote:
- Lana is writing the script as we speak. How long will she take? For her way of working (sleeping 3 hours per night), we won’t wait too long (also considering when the shooting will start, but we’ll talk about that later on)
- Once the script is written, they will finalize the budget (netflix indicated a minimum and a maximum between which Lana has to stay. And if history tells us anything, she’ll have to use all of it - which isn’t a lot actually #NetflixGiveHerTheMoney)
- Negotiations are still going on with some of the actors, not all of them have signed up yet, but none of them wants to quit.

More news about when, where will they shoot will come, also with facts about what Lana had in mind for season 3.

Source: Sense8 production
And in the comments they call the cast negotiations "normal".
Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
- Lana is writing the script as we speak. How long will she take? For her way of working (sleeping 3 hours per night), we won’t wait too long (also considering when the shooting will start, but we’ll talk about that later on)
- Once the script is written, they will finalize the budget (netflix indicated a minimum and a maximum between which Lana has to stay. And if history tells us anything, she’ll have to use all of it - which isn’t a lot actually #NetflixGiveHerTheMoney)
- Negotiations are still going on with some of the actors, not all of them have signed up yet, but none of them wants to quit.

More news about when, where will they shoot will come, also with facts about what Lana had in mind for season 3.

Source: Sense8 production.
JMS name seems strangely absent from this news. I would have hoped to see 'JMS and Lana will write the script'. Or is this just another glitch whereby people seem to focus more on the Wachowski element?!

Kosh: Good!
Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 AM

There's a major discrepancy between the translation of the post and the English version.
Quote:
- also continuing negotiations for contracts with the actors. Not everyone has signed, but nobody wants to give up (the options are still outstanding).
No, I think it's been made abundantly clear that there are no options on the actors at all.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
JMS name seems strangely absent from this news. I would have hoped to see 'JMS and Lana will write the script'. Or is this just another glitch whereby people seem to focus more on the Wachowski element?!
The Italians have a direct line with the Wachowskis' producer, so they know Lana stuff only in the first place. It is entirely possible they know nothing about JMS. But it is up to JMS to confirm his involvement or not; he has yet to do that, but I'm sure he will clear it up, one way or another, during Comic-Con.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: