JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Truth66 Truth66 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 234
You have got to be kidding me. More Solo Movies?

I came across this recent release today:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...en-ehrenreich/

My first reaction, "You have got to be kidding me?"

Many people have commented that with Lucasfilm being bought out by Disney that Disney was going to milk this franchise for all it's worth. This was confirmed with the announcement of 2 completely different trilogies that will go into production after Episode 9.

Now to learn that they are actually turning the Solo Story into a Trilogy of movies? Personally I think this is getting beyond ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-24-2018, 06:02 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth66 View Post
I came across this recent release today:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...en-ehrenreich/

My first reaction, "You have got to be kidding me?"

Many people have commented that with Lucasfilm being bought out by Disney that Disney was going to milk this franchise for all it's worth. This was confirmed with the announcement of 2 completely different trilogies that will go into production after Episode 9.

Now to learn that they are actually turning the Solo Story into a Trilogy of movies? Personally I think this is getting beyond ridiculous.
I think this announcement is more damage control from Lucasfilm. Rian Johnson's new trilogy was announced in November 2017, before "The Last Jedi" came out. It was as if Lucasfilm knew "The Last Jedi" would be divisive and wanted to put a positive spin on it, e.g., "This movie is soooo good we're giving the director a whole new trilogy."

Now, half of Star Wars fandom is planning to boycott "Solo" and is actively rooting for that film to fail. So Lucasfilm "leaks" that "This movie is soooo good it's the first of a whole new trilogy."

I'll believe it when I see it. Before the "The Last Jedi" opened, it was projected to make $742 million domestically. It actually made $620 million. Interestingly, the opening weekend forecast was right on the money. It was projected to make $215 million and actually made $220 million. That shows you the power of word of mouth right there.

Last edited by alpha128; 04-24-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Jonas's Avatar
Jonas Jonas is offline
[Zathras Conspiracy]
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A hollow duck in orbit around Ganymede.
Posts: 717
I think the most idiotic part is what they did to the character. Every fun, light-hearted adventure now leads to "and then everything he fought for was destroyed and he was murdered by his own son." It's such a spectacularly stupid thing to do.
__________________
Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Looney's Avatar
Looney Looney is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
That shows you the power of word of mouth right there.
Do you mean that word of mouth limited the box office or enhanced it?
__________________
Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:59 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Do you mean that word of mouth limited the box office or enhanced it?
I mean word of mouth limited the box office. The opening weekend projections for "The Last Jedi" were accurate, but bad word of mouth limited the total gross of the film.

The pessimistic global box office prediction for "The Last Jedi" was $1.447 billion vs. an actual worldwide gross of $1,332 billion.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.