JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > JMSNews Information > Site Support and Suggestions

Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Confirmed User

Anti-Spam Options for vBulletin 3.8.x

I know I haven't been a member here very long, but even in that short time it has become apparent to me that only a few of the 247,217 forum "members" are actual human beings who post here.

I did a cursory search and found some anti-spam options for this site's forum software that might help:

Spambot Stopper - Prevent Spambots from Registering

Fassim Anti Forum Spam
Old 03-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the thoughtfulness, Alpha.

Naturally, it's up to DougO what he wants to do as far as bots/spammers but since cleaning up the spam if they post is my job, I have to say I'm very happy with the 'honey trap' (I think that's what it's called) set-up we have now. Just speaking for myself, I don't care if bots register as long as they don't disrupt the forums. I think since the trap was put in place we've had fewer than a handful of spam postings and those were all 'members' who'd joined before it was in place. Before that it was upwards of 300 spam posts every single day.

While I'm sure you're right that many thousands of the registered names are bots or garden variety spammers, another sad fact is that many people register, even post their introduction and then never post again. Never figured out why anybody'd want to do that but there it is. We who post are a spectator sport!

Thanks again.

Jan
Old 03-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Naturally, it's up to DougO what he wants to do as far as bots/spammers but since cleaning up the spam if they post is my job, I have to say I'm very happy with the 'honey trap' (I think that's what it's called) set-up we have now. Just speaking for myself, I don't care if bots register as long as they don't disrupt the forums. I think since the trap was put in place we've had fewer than a handful of spam postings and those were all 'members' who'd joined before it was in place. Before that it was upwards of 300 spam posts every single day.
I've seen the honeypot set-up you've got and yes, it's effective in keeping spam posts to a minimum. Still, I imagine that tens of thousands of unconfirmed user accounts take up system resources that could be better used for legitimate forum business.

Quote:
While I'm sure you're right that many thousands of the registered names are bots or garden variety spammers, another sad fact is that many people register, even post their introduction and then never post again. Never figured out why anybody'd want to do that but there it is. We who post are a spectator sport!
The Few. The Proud. The Posters!

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtfulness, Alpha.
You are welcome, Jan.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
The Few. The Proud. The Posters!
'Tis true! But when something happens in the B5 universe (sadly, it's too often the passing of a cast member these days), I'm happy that people remember this place and come here to find out what's true and what's rumor.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Confirmed User

Jan truly exists.
I'm more of a rumour....
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 09-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
'Tis true! But when something happens in the B5 universe (sadly, it's too often the passing of a cast member these days), I'm happy that people remember this place and come here to find out what's true and what's rumor.
Yup, some of us still check in regularly. There's just not much to discuss anymore. I think The Memory of Shadows was the last time I got properly excited. Nowadays I just lurk. Good to see Auntie Jan still doing her thing :-)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
Yup, some of us still check in regularly. There's just not much to discuss anymore. I think The Memory of Shadows was the last time I got properly excited. Nowadays I just lurk. Good to see Auntie Jan still doing her thing :-)
Auntie Jan ( ) will still keep the light on for you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: