JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > General Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 2.74 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5-Stefan View Post
And another spontaneous thoughts:
What about: WB doesn't make ANYTHING with B5. Even NO REPEATS.
But now go90 is streaming B5.
Am I totally wrong, or doesn't implicit this a contract between WB and go90?
And where is one contract might be others in the future.
(yesyesyes; never surrender dreams )
From what JMS said it depends on the division:

Quote:
WBTV tries to pretend none of the PTEN shows exist, but fortunately this went through WB Domestic Distribution, which first commissioned it.
WB = many divisions, all in competition with each other. JMS explained something of the issue in the Phoenix Comic-Con panel Fandom Endures. Check around the 42 minute mark if I recall correctly. How much can WBDtD do? No telling at this point. I don't know why they were able to get to do something with Go90 at all. Just glad they were.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:26 PM

This is too funny! I have an ongoing Google Alert for "straczynski" and most of the time it's stuff for his books or comics. But today one of those silly 'get the best discounts' sites seems to have latched on to his name.

Quote:
JMichael Straczynski have been offering coupons and deals for quite some time now and a large number of people have saved a lot by utilizing them.
Oh, really!?! Ha! (The 'deal' featured was a grab from his twitter feed.)
Old 05-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
WB = many divisions, all in competition with each other. JMS explained something of the issue in the Phoenix Comic-Con panel Fandom Endures. Check around the 42 minute mark if I recall correctly. How much can WBDtD do? No telling at this point. I don't know why they were able to get to do something with Go90 at all. Just glad they were.
What a poor company!
Where one department is in war with another department.

In contrast stands this commentary from freebabylon5.com:

Commentary by Elliot Jenner about "what's going on at WB":
Quote:
1) Receive tons of data showing demand for Babylon 5 on streaming.
2) Try to ignore it because PTEN and internal structure of WB.
3) Someone high up sees the data and demands that the show be given a chance to make WB more money.
4) Internal team, under pressure to never do anything good with PTEN properties, finds a region locked streaming service no one has or wants.
5) Put B5 only on this service.
6) No one watches because they don't have or want the streaming service.
7) Declare that clearly there is no demand for B5 since no one watched it.
8) Put in vault, throw away key, never have to think about it again.
9) Ignore any other demands for B5, since clearly it's just a few "crackpots" or people would have watched it.
Really gloomy humour.

B5-Stefan
Old 05-20-2017, 02:40 AM

As always, please take any discussion to 'Off Topic'.

Quote:
Sticking my neck out (and likely into a noose) here's my prediction on how the whole Trump thing will roll out.

Republicans in Congress are already scared out of their wits that Trump will bring them down in the 2018 midterms if he's still in office by that point. If that happens, they could lose the House and the Senate.

Trump will not be impeached, but rather will resign under pressure by no later than mid-November or early December. He will cite health reasons, or not wanting to be a distraction to the American people.

The Republicans will push for this because that way they would get to keep Pence (assuming he comes through the Russia thing clean, and there's no guarantee). Or, if Pence also has to go, Paul Ryan becomes President.

That gives the Republican party the Christmas break to let things die down, take the position that they cleaned up their own house, and hope everyone forgives and forgets by the time the November midterms come along.

This is absolutely essential to them for one reason above all: if Trump hangs on through the midterms, and they lose the House and/or Senate, and Trump/Pence are impeached afterward, it means that a (potentially) Democratic Speaker of the House would become president.

Which is precisely what could happen if Trump hangs on through the impeachment process.

So one way or another, they are gonna want Trump *gone* by late November or early December.

Now let's see if I'm right....
https://www.facebook.com/officialjms...65617560139768
Old 05-28-2017, 12:56 PM

Okay, then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
Cymbalism

Sometimes
When I find my cat
Dead-asleep on the sofa
I long for
A pair of
Cymbals
Old 06-01-2017, 04:43 AM

I've been nostalgic for the days when JMS used to talk about the making of B5 lately so I posted a question on his FB Fan page.

https://www.facebook.com/officialjms...77204308981093

I asked about differences in how things were done between seasons one and two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
In season one of @sense8, I was able to guide the direction of the show in a lot of significant ways both during and after the writing process because I was the only one of the three of us who came from a background in television production and budgeting. So I'd say it was more even-handed in that respect.

In season two, Lana guided the process back to territory that was more familiar coming from a big-budget feature-film background. Since I don't come from that world, my involvement more or less ended at the writing stage. From that point on Lana acted as the film-maker, and took on the responsibility for taking the show to another level in terms of budget, scale and shooting schedule. I didn’t see any of the final budgets, but from the results on-screen you can see the substantive increase in locations, sets and the like that give it a real sense of scale far beyond what I think anyone anticipated. The show moved from being a Mercedes to a Lamborghini.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Confirmed User

How JMS was thrown into Real Ghostbusters

Referring to "Ghostbusters Day" JMS revealed the story how he got the Real Ghostbusters:
https://www.facebook.com/officialjms...89239921110865

"you are the funny man"
B5-Stefan

--
Kosh to Lyta: "All arranged, as is payment, we will meet in Red-3 at the hour of scampering"
[Deathwalker]
Old 07-08-2017, 05:24 PM

There's a piece of JMS in the new Spidey movie. SPOILERS if you click the link!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
‏Verified account @straczynski 1h1 hour ago
More
Nice words from @KevinFeige and a great development for the character. Warning: spoilers for newest Spidey movie.
http://www.cbr.com/spider-man-homecoming-final-scene/
Old 07-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Confirmed User

Saw the movie. Loved it. So glad JMS got some credit associated with it.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:00 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Saw the movie. Loved it. So glad JMS got some credit associated with it.
It looks really fun, like they've finally nailed the tone of the comics.

Kosh: Good!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
It looks really fun, like they've finally nailed the tone of the comics.
I don't know the comics, but I have heard that sentiment from people who do know them. Or at least they say it is the closest it has ever been.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
There's a piece of JMS in the new Spidey movie. SPOILERS if you click the link!!

http://www.cbr.com/spider-man-homecoming-final-scene/
This is cool. I can deal with the spoiler, and i think it's a good move for the overall narrative. It was one of the best bits from JMS' run. Tempted to go see this, but cinema tickets are so expensive in the UK now, and it's always very low on my priority list.

Kosh: Good!
Old 08-11-2017, 02:36 AM

JMS posted this video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
Silly but fun, especially when it hits 2:23...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXMyz79bRpI

All Hail to J. Michael Straczynski - hero of song (now) and story!
Old 08-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Confirmed User

Okay seriously, how could anyone tap thumbs down to that?!?!?!?!?! Even if you don't like comics, REALLY?!?!?!?!?! I know there are people out there who press thumbs down to everything, but REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

"In order to go on we would need a longer song." LMAO

I think one of the best parts is right at the end when you see people walking by with no clue and you hear one person clapping.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
I think one of the best parts is right at the end when you see people walking by with no clue and you hear one person clapping.
From the lack of crowds throughout, I'm thinking that most of the filming was probably very early in the morning on Sunday or Thursday. Though people are amazingly polite about staying out of the way of filming and picture-taking.

I took a slightly evil glee in the line at the beginning where geeks gathered to 'worship super-heroes'. One thing you can count on is a number of demonstrators at the crosswalks with signs cautioning against the 'worship' of comic books and the characters. Just a little burn there, I think.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: