JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 07-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Confirmed User

One thing to note, apparently when writing a review on Netflix, you cannot use the word "netflix" in the review!!

My review is below:
"Woah, just Woah.
I've had to space this show out with 2 or 3 episode every 8 to 10 days as I was watching it with a friend whom I do not see very often (and she does not have the service).
I'm a huge B5 fan (got ink to prove it) and a huge JMS fan as well. Also an LGBTQ advocate. I loved both the slow burn and the treatment of LGBTQ lifestyles and issues in this show, every character brought a different colour to the overall story resulting in a complex, interwoven pallette.
View this not so much as a show, but a twelve hour movie. I love that this service allows creators to tell a complete story rather than cutting a show off after 3 or 4 episodes due to poor ratings. Mark my words, this, rather than "traditional" network content, is where to go for ground breaking ands thought provoking entertainment. Watch this show, hell, experience it, bring a friend along too, it works best as a shared enjoyment. There are moments that will shock you, moments that will make you cry, watch it all."

some moments form the episode, I liked there was humour here, it cast the brutality in to a softer light. We both thought at the fade to white as will was declaring his love would lead to the end credits, I mean, what more needed to be said.

I thought it came to a nice end, yes there are unanswered questions but if this is all we get, then it is not so bad. Obviously I am hoping for more though.

My thoughts on 11 are a bit puzzled still, may post them tomorrow
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 11-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Confirmed User

I've seen some speculation that Riley was cut off from Nomi because of the intense PTSD she was going through and she dragged Will along for the ride. I am willing to consider that possibility, since much of the sensates' connection is tied into emotion. Perhaps it's a natural safety trigger so one member of the cluster won't paralyze the others because of mental activity that is too intense.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:47 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfury10 View Post
I've seen some speculation that Riley was cut off from Nomi because of the intense PTSD she was going through and she dragged Will along for the ride. I am willing to consider that possibility, since much of the sensates' connection is tied into emotion. Perhaps it's a natural safety trigger so one member of the cluster won't paralyze the others because of mental activity that is too intense.
I don't buy that theory.

Think back to the initial madness / stress of them discovering they are sensates in the first place, and also Will's very physical reaction in the bar to Riley's kidnapping/assault. I still feel there's a lot of inconsistency around how the sharing / visiting works. I wonder if it is sometimes a bit ill defined for dramatic effect. Although that doesn't seem like JMS style at all, as they seem to track other things (time zones) in such detail.

Will be very happy if some clarity is added ins season 2.

Kosh: Good!
Old 11-06-2015, 03:43 AM

JMS said that working out the rules was something that took the longest when working on the fist season scripts so there must be a better reason than 'ramping up the drama' or 'the episode's running too long'. The cluster re-establishing contact by the time they got on the boat is the only quibble I have with our not seeing Riley get them off the mountain. I was glad to not have to sit through another car chase, though.

The issue I have is that Nomi lost contact with Riley but Will obviously didn't. We never had any indication that physical proximity had any affect on the connectedness of the cluster.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Last edited by Jan; 11-06-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:31 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
JMS said that working out the rules was something that took the longest when working on the fist season scripts so there must be a better reason than 'ramping up the drama' or 'the episode's running too long'. The cluster re-establishing contact by the time they got on the boat is the only quibble I have with our not seeing Riley get them off the mountain. I was glad to not have to sit through another car chase, though.

The issue I have is that Nomi lost contact with Riley but Will obviously didn't. We never had any indication that physical proximity had any affect on the connectedness of the cluster.

Jan
Has anyone asked JMS on Twitter about this? I don't tweet, but it would be an interesting one. I can't see him not having some logic worked out for it.

Kosh: Good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: