JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 AM
Just a fan

Personally I don't see it as such a big deal.

There's this too: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...ulture-and-911

It isn't much but if confirms there are 12 episodes.

Quote:
I asked how they prioritized things when trying to do all of this at once.

"We've got all three backpacks on," Lana said.

"That's right. 'Cloud Atlas' was shooting while 'Jupiter' was prepping."

"When 'Cloud Atlas' started, we had already written 'Jupiter,' so we were designing during 'Cloud Atlas.' We started work on 'Sens8' when we got back from shooting 'Jupiter,' so we were essentially doing publicity, post and prep, and then as we focused on 'Jupiter' post, we're writing 12 episodes, and not just writing, but writing and shooting and writing and shooting. And then we finished post on 'Jupiter,' and we started prepping for the next thing even as we're fine-tuning the show."
The writer mistakenly keeps calling it "Sens8" lol.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Jana

Arrow Lana: "Four full episodes to be released in May"

"New to Sense8" ~ Sci-fi World on Thursday, February 5, 2015

Lana: "The series is being completed now, and we have four full episodes to be released in May" (translation from Spanish).

I think the siblings are trying a little harder to get on the same page about the release date.

NOTE: I could not find the source of this story, which reports on quotes from an interview, but does not cite a source.

Read more here: http://www.w.scifiworld.es/tv/noveda...ra-sense8.html

Last edited by sense8linked.com; 02-06-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8linked.com View Post
Lana: "The series is being completed now, and we have four full episodes to be released in May" (translation from Spanish).
Wouldn't that be unusual for Netflix to not release the whole thing all at once? I wonder if something got lost in translation/copying from another source.

I find I'm rather enjoying the W's interview style. It's apparent that they're both really excited about what they're doing. And this might be silly but I'm also enjoying seeing photos of Andy Wachowski smiling lately. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
"New to Sense8" ~ Sci-fi World on Thursday, February 5, 2015

I think the siblings are trying a little harder to get on the same page about the release date.

NOTE: I could not find the source of this story, which reports on quotes from an interview, but does not cite a source.

Read more here: http://www.w.scifiworld.es/tv/noveda...ra-sense8.html
The "source" is the source in the OP of this thread. http://io9.com/the-wachowskis-say-th...r-t-1683307179

All the quotes come from it if you actually compare the two articles.

So what the writer reported as "The series is being published now, and we have four full episodes to be released in May." (according to google translate) in proper English instead of English -> Spanish -> English it means:

Quote:
Right now we're in the editing process. We finished the first four episodes and we're cutting them basically an episode a week.
and

Quote:
In May, you'll see.

So nothing new
Old 02-06-2015, 07:24 AM
Jana

Thumbs up Mega-interview with the Wachowskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
Personally I don't see it as such a big deal.
I don't think the Wachowskis think it's a big deal, either. Good on 'em. I think they're solid in Sense8 mode now. Total focus.

I recommend this interview to anyone who is not sick to death at this point of Wachowskis related stuff and how it's all leading into the Sense8 project.

Drew McWeeny at Hitfix is a friend and colleague of the Wachowskis, and they spent a long time with him. The interview was published in two parts, along with a separate review of JA. It might be the mother of all recent interviews with the Wachowskis, and the review is critically spot on and even-handed.

PART ONE: of a major interview with the Wachowskis - Jupiter Ascending secrets

PART TWO: continues on blockbuster culture and 9/11

REVIEW of Jupiter Ascending

By Drew McWeeny @DrewatHitFix | Thursday, Feb 5, 2015

Last edited by sense8linked.com; 02-06-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Jana

Smile Some fun pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Wouldn't that be unusual for Netflix to not release the whole thing all at once? I wonder if something got lost in translation/copying from another source.
Good point Jan. I've watched for mentions of this on the Netflix original releases and any mentions said that all have been released at once. But, everything is changing in the film and TV biz, and Netflix is working outside of the rules, so who knows?

Quote:
I find I'm rather enjoying the W's interview style. It's apparent that they're both really excited about what they're doing. And this might be silly but I'm also enjoying seeing photos of Andy Wachowski smiling lately. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Jan
They're having so much fun together. Such a tight sibling bond. I think they are unsinkable as long as they work together.

As for smiling, Andy is (or should be) famous for making funny faces in fan selfies. Hilarious! I agree he is smiling more.

PS The Wachowski brothers went bald early. I love Lana's fuschia dreads (plus, it makes her easy to spot in photos, of which I have THOUSANDS). I assume her choice to go with hair extensions is to deal with the baldness, which is usually a male thing.

-+

Last edited by sense8linked.com; 02-24-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Jana

Question This MIGHT BE interesting but is TOTALLY UNVERIFIED (no rumors!!)

This is how rumors start.

Rumor, most likely a misquote/misunderstanding.

Quien interview with Erendira Ibarra

Erendira has future plans to start the second season of 'Sense8'..." [verified translation from Spanish]

The fan who contacted me verified this translation from the Spanish. I tweeted Erendira to see if she will respond.

Last edited by sense8linked.com; 02-09-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:53 AM
Just a fan

Netflix talks Sense8: http://deadline.com/2015/02/in-wake-...e8-1201370191/

Quote:
“It’s the best four hours of anything we’ve done,”

“Their film reviews have been brutal, and everything after The Matrix didn’t go well, but if you look at the earlier cuts of their films before they had to jam them down to 120 minutes, it’s amazing. There’s a four-hour cut of Cloud Atlas that will blow you away.”

A source close to the production told Deadline last week that the Wachowskis “aren’t overspending, they’re coming in on time, and they’re wonderful to work with. This is the first time that they’ve created a longform series, and it may well work to their creative sensibilities more than film recently.” Another source close to the siblings said: “Who knows if they’ll ever direct a film again? They might have found their niche with episodic drama.”

“From a budget standpoint and a running time, it’s every bit as big, if not bigger, than their feature films,” Sarandos said about Sense8.

Later, when the conversation segued to diversity in TV, Sarandos not only pointed out how the Netflix series Orange Is The New Black broke down barriers for women of color and the LGBT community, but that there’s also “a transgender in Sense8. The goal wasn’t to be diverse but to be great and different and diversity would follow.”
edit oh and

Quote:
The Wachowskis finished shooting in Iceland three weeks ago.
The snow stuff we have talked about.

Last edited by sense8ional; 02-10-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:00 AM
Jana

Four hours/four episodes edited so far

I just saw that Deadline article about Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix. Nice summary, BTW.

I wonder what Sarandos said before or after he was quoted referring to Sense8 as "...the best four hours of anything we've done." Perhaps it would have (I assume) made clear that he was referring to the four hours of edited episodes that Netflix has looked at so far.

We remember the number four coming up in that io9 interview with Andy Wachowski: "Right now we're in the editing process. We finished the first four episodes and we're cutting them basically an episode a week."

Last edited by sense8linked.com; 02-10-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 AM
Just a fan

I think that's a safe assumption to make.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:13 AM
Jana

#setlife in Mexico City

Thanks to Sense8 actress [?? I originally said 'crew member'] @Arantza_Rumee who posted some pics taken on set when they were filming in Mexico City:

Setting up the shot: steadicam op Daniele Massaccesi with Lana Wachowski

With Sensate Miguel Angel Silvestre, a sweet pic

Director James McTiegue stops moving for three seconds to graciously appear in a selfie (roll credits)

A clever selfie with Mr. Rico Suave Alfonso "Poncho" Herrera sitting behind her

I love these people, and I love this project!

Last edited by sense8linked.com; 02-10-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Jana

Director of Makeup for Sense8

I verified with Director of Makeup Alessandro Bertolazzi that he is working on other projects even though he still puts the #Sense8 hashtag in his tweets

PS: I will not start rumors I will not start rumors I will not start rumors I will not start rumors
Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Just a fan

This made me lol: http://tribecafilm.com/stories/filmm...hows-2015-2016

Quote:
Given that the Wachowskis are notorious for being perfectionists and requiring long post-production periods, sci-fi fans and movie/television enthusiasts shouldn’t expect a release date until late 2015 or early 2016.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Jana

Rebuilding the Wachowskis' brand

Quote:
Release date is May or June. Sense8 is the last series the Wachowskis "watched" that blew their minds
http://collider.com/wachowskis-jupit...ing-interview/
Quote:
RE: Deadline article about Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix

I wonder what Sarandos said before or after he was quoted referring to Sense8 as "...the best four hours of anything we've done." Perhaps it would have (I assume) made clear that he was referring to the four hours of edited episodes that Netflix has looked at so far. io9 interview with Andy Wachowski: "Right now we're in the editing process. We finished the first four episodes and we're cutting them basically an episode a week."
Quote:
I think that's a safe assumption to make.
Yes, pretty much. The only reason I really care at this point is I see everyday a vocal minority's vitriol and controversy about the Wachowskis (on social media) as having contributed to the climate for a publicity blood bath on Jupiter Ascending. I hope that advance information about Sense8 is handled with some finesse and "as necessary" spin to avoid the possibility of the same or anything similar for Sense8.

A significantly revised release date did not help Jupiter both in terms of bad word/anticipation and landing in the Feb death zone. Constantly revising release dates generally is not as good for publicity as waiting to say when, so I hope this isn't going to be a problem.

For obvious reasons the Wachowskis don't have a lot of experience with the art of good publicity. While it is true a major studio does the publicity for the project, usually with no creatives input, the Wachowskis have been perceived as not caring about it, which I think has hurt their brand both in the press and with consumers.

I think the Wachowskis are on a fast learning curve to discover and master their own particular strategy for publicizing their work and rebuilding their brand. Jumping about on release dates; that's not it.

Last edited by sense8linked.com; 02-10-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
A significantly revised release date did not help Jupiter both in terms of bad word/anticipation and landing in the Feb death zone. Constantly revising release dates generally is not as good for publicity as waiting to say when, so I hope this isn't going to be a problem.
In my opinion, the part that hurt Jupiter the worst when it came to the release date change was that major advertising had already been going on for a good few weeks when the change was announced.

Creatives who are jazzed about their show/movie tend to show it. That means they sometimes fall 'off message'. As long as they don't mention an actual date, any *professional* will understand that it's a generality. Trouble is, there's so darned few professionals these days.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: