JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 08-10-2015, 04:14 AM

This was kind of cool. JMS wrote a note to the fans on the Senese8 (Netflix) fan page on Facebook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. MIchael Straczynski
Thanks to everyone for your support of our show and your enthusiasm and the joy you so profoundly share with one another. We hope to do right by you in season two, which will be even more intense and character oriented, revealing many of the secrets set up in season one.

For those who would like to follow my end of things, as we write and produce year two, you can find me at:

[url
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-of-J-Michael-Straczynski/139652459402959[/url]

Best regards from Team Sense8.
J. MIchael Straczynski
Executive Producer/co-writer/co-creator
Sense8
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 08-10-2015, 05:55 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Good stuff. I think JMS is going to be BUSY!

Kosh: Good!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 AM

Thought this might work better here. A member of a Sense8 FB page interviewed Jela, Capheus' friend and partner on the bus:

https://www.the-newshub.com/film-and...e8s-paul-ogola

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 08-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Vorlon Visitor

I just stumbled upon this via my Facebook feed, and whilst listening was struck how many parallels there were to Sense8 and the messages/themes it's conveying. I hope you find it equally fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Genesis P Orridge, quote from the podcast.
“Binary systems are the critical problem, the either/or, the black/white, gay/straight, Christian/Muslim, you name it. Maybe the problem is that we haven’t evolved into a unified being; not male or female but both. The human body is not the person. Identity is the way the brain operates; it’s memories, it’s sensory input and output. The mind is the person.”
It's a discussion between underground legend Genesis P Orridge, of the influential 80s UK Industrial band Throbbing Gristle / Psychic TV, and Against Me!'s Laura Jane Grace. Both identify as Trans gendered, and a lot of the discussion revolves around that, as well as other very interesting territory. I hope you find it as interesting as I did. If you want more background on Genesis, and his transition, you can always hunt down 'The Ballad of Lady Jaye'.

Podcast is here:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/g...HFmmZv4TSLb.01

Last edited by Ubik; 08-28-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:48 PM

Not exactly news but JMS replied when asked about a soundtrack release for Sense8:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
‏@straczynski 59m59 minutes ago
@The_ @sense8 Working on the rights situation.
6:49 PM - 31 Aug 2015 Details
Jan
Old 09-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Confirmed User

After seeing the latest contribution to the "Silly B5 Quote Conversation", I wondered when it will be appropriate to create a "Silly Sense8 Quote Conversation". Who among us have watched Sense8 a sufficient number of times to have memorized the dialogue?
Old 09-17-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dassow View Post
After seeing the latest contribution to the "Silly B5 Quote Conversation", I wondered when it will be appropriate to create a "Silly Sense8 Quote Conversation". Who among us have watched Sense8 a sufficient number of times to have memorized the dialogue?
I've only seen it three times so far so I haven't. I'm thinking we might need at least two seasons before that thread will have any real longevity. But there's already plenty of quotable stuff!

Jan
Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Confirmed User

I believe I discovered the true meaning of Sun Bak's (Doona Bae) prisoner number. Her prisoner number is 0773. If you add a 4 at the end you get 07734, which is hello upside down on a calculator.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=07734

See also:
https://twitter.com/DanDassow/status/647244710822572032

Last edited by Dan Dassow; 09-24-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Confirmed User

From Season Two Production Info thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Because Twitter is so difficult to archive, I thought I'd start this thread so that any info from JMS or other production folks can be put here. Please, news only, no long supposition sidelines.

From August 24:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
We only got script/prod order 8/8; and once scripts are done you still have 2-3 months prep prior to shooting.
And this is almost already breaking my own request but last night JMS wrote in answer to a tweet about needing season two:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
I'm typing as fast as I can.
So that MAY mean that the writing has begun. <fingers crossed>

Jan
Assuming that Joe just started to write the script, prep work for Season 2 will not start for at least a month.

Code:
50	Minutes per episode (2nd Season Sense8)
12	Episodes
600	Minutes total
53	hours to write Ninja Assassin
99	Minutes (length of Ninja Assassin)
0.54	Hours per minute
321	Hours to write first draft of 2nd Season
10	Hours per day writing
32	Days to write first draft of Sense8 2nd Season
Assuming that prep work will take three months. Shooting should start around four months from now.

Assuming three months of filming, primary filming will be completed around seven months from now.

Assuming three-five months of post production. Season 2 should be available in ten months to one year from now.

I suspect that the target date for Season 2 will be 8/8/2016, even though that will probably be a tight schedule.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
50 Minutes per episode (2nd Season Sense8)
12 Episodes
600 Minutes total
53 hours to write Ninja Assassin
99 Minutes (length of Ninja Assassin)
0.54 Hours per minute
321 Hours to write first draft of 2nd Season
10 Hours per day writing
32 Days to write first draft of Sense8 2nd Season
Whoa! 'Fraid I have to disagree considerably.

First assumption - 50 minute episodes. I'm only going by memory here but I'm pretty sure that all but maybe one were longer than that even when factoring the opening/closing sequences.

Second assumption - 12 episodes. No reason to assume that. As we know, the first season was originally slated to be ten but was expended to twelve (without additional scripts) due to the way that production turned out.

Third assumption - that Ninja Assasin's writing was anything other than anomalous. Far more reasonable, even if you completely discount that there are three writers rather than one, would be to figure the week to ten days that each B5 script required.

Which makes my estimate more like 2 1/2 months minimum to write the scripts rather than just over a month.

ETA: Congratulations on your 1,000th post, Dan!

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 09-27-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Whoa! 'Fraid I have to disagree considerably.

First assumption - 50 minute episodes. I'm only going by memory here but I'm pretty sure that all but maybe one were longer than that even when factoring the opening/closing sequences.
I watched season one in 10 hours 30 minutes with 15 minute break. Netflix defaults to avoiding the final credits. This works out to 615 minutes of program material with the opening credits or on average 50 minutes per episode excluding the opening and closing credits.

Quote:
Second assumption - 12 episodes. No reason to assume that. As we know, the first season was originally slated to be ten but was expended to twelve (without additional scripts) due to the way that production turned out.
I simply assumed 12 episodes for purposes of discussion.

Quote:
Third assumption - that Ninja Assasin's writing was anything other than anomalous. Far more reasonable, even if you completely discount that there are three writers rather than one, would be to figure the week to ten days that each B5 script required.

Which makes my estimate more like 2 1/2 months minimum to write the scripts rather than just over a month.
I used Ninja Assassin as one point of reference. Ten days per episode is more likely.

Regardless, Season 2 is still likely to be around a year away. We will have a better idea once the screenplays are complete.

Quote:
ETA: Congratulations on your 1,000th post, Dan!

Jan
Thanks, I did not notice.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I watched season one in 10 hours 30 minutes with 15 minute break. Netflix defaults to avoiding the final credits. This works out to 615 minutes of program material with the opening credits or on average 50 minutes per episode excluding the opening and closing credits.
Guess I need to hand in my obsessive card. I woke up at 3AM to watch the first episode so I could share in the experience but finished it on Sunday some time.

Quote:
Regardless, Season 2 is still likely to be around a year away. We will have a better idea once the screenplays are complete.
Now if only they'd let us know when that is, right?

Jan
Old 10-07-2015, 02:13 PM
The one that was

Quote:
I've only had a chance to watch it once so far. But until we have more episodes to pull from, and either someone puts up a website with quotes, or script books are released I think it would be tough to sustain such a thread past maybe a week or two.

But I like the idea. It is hard to believe that the B5 quote conversation thread has been going as long as it has. Hopefully JMS gets the B5 movie out so we can add more quotes to the selection to pull from.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
Of course I want this as quickly as possible too, but I honestly don't mind if it takes longer than that. What I want most is good airtight scripts, and I'd love slightly faster pacing. That does seem likely now that we've got the principal concept and cast established. I just hope they don't introduce too many new characters.

Very curious to see where it goes!

Old 10-08-2015, 07:32 AM

I'll be interested to see if there's much in the way of movement for the cluster to get together physically. It seems that it might be to their benefit to stay geographically separate but learning more about being sensate might be easier if they were together.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: