JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 10-08-2015, 06:38 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I'll be interested to see if there's much in the way of movement for the cluster to get together physically. It seems that it might be to their benefit to stay geographically separate but learning more about being sensate might be easier if they were together.
Yes, I do expect a physical congregation of Sensates at some point. Perhaps the show will build to this. I am still seeing certain parallels with the teep / mundane thing in B5, so similar lines of division may occur. Although this is clearly a very different show with different concerns.

Kosh: Good!
Old 10-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I'll be interested to see if there's much in the way of movement for the cluster to get together physically. It seems that it might be to their benefit to stay geographically separate but learning more about being sensate might be easier if they were together.
I think more of this is coming - remember what happened when Will found Riley and touched her physically for the first time? I would be willing to bet that the connections among the sensates get even stronger every time more of them interact physically, and that the level of power they might get from that is what Whispers and his crew are trying to prevent.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:15 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfury10 View Post
I think more of this is coming - remember what happened when Will found Riley and touched her physically for the first time? I would be willing to bet that the connections among the sensates get even stronger every time more of them interact physically, and that the level of power they might get from that is what Whispers and his crew are trying to prevent.
This is the interesting bit, because when we talk about the 'power level' of the Sensates as something to be contained by BPO, I do wonder exactly what that 'power' is meant to be? Apart from the obvious skill sharing, and the very multi-skilled people that would emerge, they are still remarkably non-threatening and could be stopped by a bullet to the head or any other conventional weaponry. If they do indeed mimic movement when sharing skills (e.g fighting a fight for another Sensate) then they are ridiculously vulnerable when jumping and kicking around a room completely unaware of what is happening in their own immediate vicinity!

There has to be a tipping point that somehow makes the Sensates a threat.

Of course BPO's objectives are not yet entirely clear, so I may be looking at this all wrong.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 11-06-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr View Post
I really enjoyed watching Sense8. The part that cities play in developing character traits got me very interested in the show. So I wrote a few thoughts on the sensates and the cities they live in.

It's a bit long, so I'll just leave this link here: http://barsinaseries.blogspot.com/20...-sensates.html
Thanks for sharing this, sbr. If you should happen to write more about the supporting characters I'd enjoy reading that, too.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Confirmed User

Why trust Silas?

After Riley relays Yrsa's information that Silas is a stooge for Whispers, why does Will continue to visit with Silas? Silas isn't part of Will's cluster, so, presumably, Will could block him from visiting.

Also, since Silas is doing Whispers' bidding willingly, why does Whispers need to treat Silas as a prisoner, even to the extent of torturing him?

Last edited by jake3_14; 07-09-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Confirmed User

Why Did Angelica give "birth"?

Given that Angelica was collaborating with Whispers, why did she create a new cluster of sensates? She must've known that Whispers would hunt them and that Silas would abet Whispers, so why put 8 people's lives in constant danger of capture, manipulation, and death?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Confirmed User

Background on 4 Non-Blondes' "What's Up"

I hope this isn't old news (I've read this entire thread), but I found some discussion about the history of this song: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1853
Old 07-09-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake3_14 View Post
After Riley relays Yrsa's information that Silas is a quisling for Whispers, why does Will continue to visit with Silas? Silas isn't part of Will's cluster, so, presumably, Will could block him from visiting.

Also, since Silas is doing Whispers' bidding willingly, why does Whispers need to treat Silas as a prisoner, even to the extent of torturing him?
My *feeling*, and that's all it is, is that Jonas may have once worked for BPO but may have left them or had a major disagreement. And remember, Whispers told Angelica that he was looking forward to meeting Jonas.

Right now, our cluster doesn't know who to trust. Yrsa says one thing but she was very cruel to Riley in the past, regardless of what her motives might have been. Jonas, on the other hand has been a big help, teaching the cluster important things and helping Will help Nomi.

I'm betting it'll get more confusing before it all comes clear!

Quote:
Given that Angelica was collaborating with Whispers, why did she create a new cluster of sensates? She must've known that Whispers would hunt them and that Silas would abet Whispers, so why put 8 people's lives in constant danger of capture, manipulation, and death?
There's a lot we don't know about birthing - first and foremost, how voluntary it might be. As for her knowing that Jonas would help Whispers, at that point, Whispers hadn't met Jonas at all, although he knew of him. Interesting how Whispers claimed that Angelica was lying about loving Jonas.

I love the way this show makes you *think*!

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 07-10-2016, 03:19 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
Jonas, not Silas

It is explained in the opening of the show that Whispers will hunt them even if "unborn". But if they are "re-born" as sensates, perhaps their combined skills will protect them.

Quote:
Angel: I don't want anyone else to die because of me.

Jonas: They'll be hunted... born or unborn. You can give them a fighting chance.
Of course the fact that literally days after their birth, two of them (Nomi and Riley) end up in hospitals and trigger the BPO's alarms is contrived, but what can you do.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
It is explained in the opening of the show that Whispers will hunt them even if "unborn". But if they are "re-born" as sensates, perhaps their combined skills will protect them.
Dang -- I forgot about Jonas' statement to that effect! Sorry about the naming error.

Last edited by jake3_14; 07-10-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: part of the post was deleted by the system.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional
Of course the fact that literally days after their birth, two of them (Nomi and Riley) end up in hospitals and trigger the BPO's alarms is contrived, but what can you do.
Nomi's fainting bugged me, too. She's a tough cookie, if a bit overly-dramatic. I could see her getting off of the motorcycle and running after Jonas, but not swooning.

As for the timing of Riley's hospitalization, my gut impression was that it occurred at least a week after her "birth" as a sensate. The whole drug deal ordeal seemed to take 4 days, and the trip to Iceland and waiting for her dad's concert seemed to take a few days. I hope that future seasons give us date cues.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Confirmed User

Would you want to be a sensate?

It's inevitable that viewers will think about themselves being part of a sensate cluster. Frankly, the idea terrifies me. My self-concept is not something I'd want others to get look at up close and personal, and my internal state is frequently dark, similar to Riley's. As an introvert, I need lots of "alone" time, so having others pop into my life unbidden would be something I couldn't adjust to and remain balanced.

Plus, I don't have any of the skill sets that would help me survive being hunted.

My only skill worth something to someone else would be to cook a nice meal, assuming the other person had a well-equipped kitchen.

What about you?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:41 AM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Quote:
Nomi's fainting bugged me, too. She's a tough cookie, if a bit overly-dramatic. I could see her getting off of the motorcycle and running after Jonas, but not swooning.
As I see it Nomi did not faint by seeing Jonas, but by the vision of Angelica committing suicide, and I did not find that over dramatized ...

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 10-17-2016, 01:48 PM

Since it's been a year or so since we heard anything on this, I thought it was worth posting

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...94904177299456

Jan
Old 10-18-2016, 06:46 AM
Just a fan

Since they got an Emmy nomination they have further motivation to release it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: