JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.30 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
How was Cloud Atlas?
From the promos, I would never have guessed it was one of their projects.
Beautiful and complex. Wish I'd been able to see it again in the theater before it was gone too soon (see thread in Off Topic).

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
Delenn_of_Mir, do you mean... you've never seen a Wachowskis brothers movie?!? :gasp:

You're in for a treat!

The Matrix and V for Vendetta are my personal favorites of theirs.

How was Cloud Atlas?
From the promos, I would never have guessed it was one of their projects.

I am totally jazzed about Sense8.

[Kosh-voice] Yeeesss.

Scratch that! I have seen V for Vendetta and loved it, so I have seen one of their movies I just didn't realize it was theirs. oopsadoodle

I haven't got to see Cloud Atlas yet because it wasn't playing at my cinema, but hopefully it will eventually come to netflix
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
Scratch that! I have seen V for Vendetta and loved it, so I have seen one of their movies I just didn't realize it was theirs. oopsadoodle

I haven't got to see Cloud Atlas yet because it wasn't playing at my cinema, but hopefully it will eventually come to netflix
If you liked the V for Vendetta film, do give the graphic novel of the same name by Alan Moore a read. It's superb. He is to comics what JMS is to Science Fiction television, he was pioneering, thoughtful and visionary.

The themaric emphasis of the comic is slightly different to the film, which was watered down to the point that it completely missed the crux of the original book. The comic is largely a commentary on the state of British politics under Thatcher in the 1980, and the rise of far right wing politics and nationalist groups. It's more specifically about things like fascism and anarchy.

The film seemed to be more of a commentary on post 9/11 American politics.

Anyhow, give it a read. It certainly won't detract from your enjoyment of the film. I tend to treat most comic book film adaptations as separate and totally unrelated entities!

Kosh: Good!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM

Breaking up some of JMS' FB posts into the relevant threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
Boy, long week...spent 8 amazing days with the Wachowskis laying out the entire first season of our new series, which has been picked up for 13 episodes,
When asked what network the show would be on, JMS replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
We're not allowed to say for now. The announcement will be made after the first of the year.
Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 AM
Vorlon Visitor

This is starting to get exciting!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 AM

I wonder if this is the news that JMS is talking about. He'd said before that there was a 13-episode (now 10?) commitment but not by whom.

Quote:
Netflix signs up The Matrix, Babylon 5 creators to develop a new sci-fi series: Sense8
http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/27/n...owskis-sense8/

Quote:
Continuing its quest to sate subscribers' appetites with a flow of original content, Netflix has announced a new original series, Sense8. Due in late 2014, it's being developed by the Wachowskis of The Matrix, V for Vendetta, Cloud Atlas and Speed Race fame, as well as J. Michael Straczynski, creator of Babylon 5. Details are thin, but the press release promises a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted with a ten episode run for its first season.
Looks like this may be the actual press release:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...200215501.html

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 03-27-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Vorlon Visitor

This is such awesome news! WOO!

Also, it was the news I was half expecting. I love that Netflix are doing this kind of thing, it also makes the need for a TV network far less essential. I wonder what role Joe will be fulfilling? Scripting? Overall story arc? Seems like he might be a bit busy to deliver full episode scripts, but I guess he'll be two handing it with the Wachowskis.

Very exciting to have some new SF TV from Joe. Fingers crossed this will feature the same kind of arc based storytelling that Babylon 5 did. TV has come a long way since B5, so it'll be great to see what Joe is capable of now! Plus my guess is the budget for this will be good.

Last edited by Ubik; 03-27-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 AM

This post on the Studio JMS page confirms that this is what JMS was talking about last night.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...43463329130475

With only 10 episodes for the first season, I imagine it'll be pretty intense.

Jan
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
This post on the Studio JMS page confirms that this is what JMS was talking about last night.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...43463329130475

With only 10 episodes for the first season, I imagine it'll be pretty intense.

Jan
Perfect... No filler.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Confirmed User

does that give us another skywatch winner then Jan?
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedout View Post
does that give us another skywatch winner then Jan?
I don't think so, Phaze. We knew the basics of the project and that it had been picked up. The only real news here is who picked it up.

Jan
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Confirmed User

thank you oh omniscient mod for explaining the complex skywatch rules to this poor mortal

*bows*

"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM

Okay, this one's fun...in a warped sort of way. An item in Rolling Stone
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...tflix-20130327

...first misspells JMS' name ( J. Michael Stracynski ) and then quotes a statement by the Wachowskis:

Quote:
"We've wanted to work with Joe Straczynski for years, chiefly due to the fact his name is harder to pronounce than ours, but also because we share a love of genre and all things nerdy," the Wachowskis said in a statement. "Several years ago, we had a late-night conversation about the ways technology simultaneously unites and divides us, and out of that paradox Sense8 was born."

Jan
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Confirmed User

Sense 8 on Netflix

I wonder if they will do the same thing with this in the way they release it as they have done with the other series. Release all episodes at once. In the case of Arrested Development, the episodes are all alternate perspectives of the same event.

Lee Whiteside
Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM

That seems to be the way they're known for releasing things. I didn't know that until today.

I asked JMS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Schroeder
At the risk of seeming greedy (which of course, I am)...what happened to 13 episodes? Or am I misremembering? And are the three of you going to share showrinning/directing?
And JMS answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
We'll share writing, running and directing. And 10 is Netflix's model.
Jan

Last edited by Jan; 03-27-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: