JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > General Discussions

Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I'm sure there's going to be some hard stuff to read. Just some of the stories he told last year at SDCC were pretty bad. His father was a monster. His mother, I think was perhaps more mentally ill than evil; I hope so, at least.
Yes I am sure there will be a lot of difficult stuff to take. I just don't want to know too much, especially when we know in advance it is likely going to be some heavy stuff. And just think of where his head is while he is working on this and drudging up all of these memories. I just question if it is worth it, but I guess he feels he needs to put it out there.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:14 PM
Confirmed User

I think it's brave. In many ways, it is easier to let such things in your past just stay in the past. Not everything has to be integrated into your modern life. But if you still have issues, it may be necessary to make some kind of peace with it. Even that can be done in private, without making anything public.

To make it public is to allow others to learn from it. And to freak out over it. And to flame you over it. But it allows the potential to help others out, who may need some kind of perspective desperately.

That's brave.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 AM

We now have a date and title change!

Mark your calendars for July 23. I'm sure there will be more info coming so maybe watch this link:
https://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/b...ming-superman/

ETA: it's worth noting that this is directly after San Diego Comic-Con which will be July 18-21 (Preview night July 17-JMS' birthday).
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Last edited by Jan; 08-26-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 AM
Confirmed User

It seems like poor planning to have it directly after Comic Con. Before means he could be signing copies at Comic Con.

I can't wait to see what the cover looks like. My vote would be a group photo of all of us.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Oh, I'm willing to bet there'll be copies available at SDCC! The promo opportunities are too good to pass up.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 09-11-2018, 05:30 AM
Confirmed User

Oh great! Then you won't mind picking me up an autographed copy.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Part of me thinks he might want to get away from Comic Cons and focus more on bookstore tours. To me, that'd be a better way to make your mark in the publishing world. Of course, there's an obvious link with the Superman theme...

Kosh: Good!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Part of me thinks he might want to get away from Comic Cons and focus more on bookstore tours. To me, that'd be a better way to make your mark in the publishing world. Of course, there's an obvious link with the Superman theme...
So much of his obvious audience attends cons, though, whether it's SF or animation or comics. I think it's a good way to reach his audience.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Oh great! Then you won't mind picking me up an autographed copy.
You and sever thousand others, right? We'll see. We'll see...
Old 09-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Lurker in Brown Sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
You and sever thousand others, right? We'll see. We'll see...
Just buy him a copy, put your initials in it and double the price.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Just buy him a copy, put your initials in it and double the price.
Oh, fine! Now you've blown my fiendish plan!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Confirmed User

Ummmmm . . . . I'm sitting right here!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:10 PM

Crying...

Quote:
With an introduction by Neil Gaiman!

In this dazzling memoir, the acclaimed writer behind Babylon 5, Sense8, Clint Eastwood’s Changeling and Marvel’s Thor reveals how the power of creativity and imagination enabled him to overcome the horrors of his youth and a dysfunctional family haunted by madness, murder and a terrible secret.

For four decades, J. Michael Straczynski has been one of the most successful writers in Hollywood, one of the few to forge multiple careers in movies, television and comics. Yet there’s one story he’s never told before: his own.

Joe's early life nearly defies belief. Raised by damaged adults—a con-man grandfather and a manipulative grandmother, a violent, drunken father and a mother who was repeatedly institutionalized—Joe grew up in abject poverty, living in slums and projects when not on the road, crisscrossing the country in his father’s desperate attempts to escape the consequences of his past.

To survive his abusive environment Joe found refuge in his beloved comics and his dreams, immersing himself in imaginary worlds populated by superheroes whose amazing powers allowed them to overcome any adversity. The deeper he read, the more he came to realize that he, too, had a superpower: the ability to tell stories and make everything come out the way he wanted it. But even as he found success, he could not escape a dark and shocking secret that hung over his family’s past, a violent truth that he uncovered over the course of decades involving mass murder.

Straczynski’s personal history has always been shrouded in mystery. Becoming Superman lays bare the facts of his life: a story of creation and darkness, hope and success, a larger-than-life villain and a little boy who became the hero of his own life. It is also a compelling behind-the-scenes look at some of the most successful TV series and movies recognized around the world.
https://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/b...ming-superman/
Old 09-30-2018, 05:24 AM
Vorlon Visitor

This definitely isn't going to be an easy read, but looking forward to it. I always found his intros to the script books great to read. His writing form a personal perspective, in his own voice, was always pretty strong.

Kosh: Good!
Old 09-30-2018, 11:24 AM
Friendly Archaeologist

I am definitely looking forward to this book

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: