JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Who Wrote What-and Other Questions

I still find the division of labour fascinating, and I always wonder if some of the standout pieces are JMS or the Ws or a bit of both. I guess I am interested in how JMS' writing has eveolved and to compare and contrast to earlier work.

The one thing that was definitely JMS; the Rajan broken penis thing, made me want to turn the show off. It's that schoolboy humour that does absolutely nothing for me.

Equally some of the more binary preachy moments, there were a few that made me roll my eyes, and these are surely the Ws... so blame can perhaps be shared for those things that don't work for me. I sometimes find myself wishing the show had more subtlety and grey areas.

One thing that struck me recently was that we have yet to see a Sensate who just goes insane, or loses it at the point of awakening, to the extent that they bring down a cluster because they can't handle the constant connection. I mean, it would be really hard going, wouldn't it?! I still find it surprising no one outright rejects the cluster. I mean, bang, there goes your privacy. I thought there were elements of the 'shared mind' thing that could have been really interesting, like having a mentally unstable Sensate or a recovering alcoholic / drug abuser.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 04-09-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
The one thing that was definitely JMS; the Rajan broken penis thing, made me want to turn the show off. It's that schoolboy humour that does absolutely nothing for me.

Equally some of the more binary preachy moments, there were a few that made me roll my eyes, and these are surely the Ws... so blame can perhaps be shared for those things that don't work for me. I sometimes find myself wishing the show had more subtlety and grey areas.
I don't think we can assign things that way. We know that JMS has often tended to being 'preachy' for instance.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 04-09-2018, 03:32 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I don't think we can assign things that way. We know that JMS has often tended to being 'preachy' for instance.
Yes, I accept that. But I've always found JMS' work explores the grey areas more, and is less concerned with binary good / evil. Sense8 is sometimes maddeningly black and white in how it handles its politics and themes. Like I said before, all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face sometimes! I do see the need for it, the world needs a show like this, but occasionally I wish it would let us draw our own conclusions instead of feeling the need to spell the message out repeatedly. It seems like more of a Wachowski trope than JMS to me. But, it's hard to say. He has some very strong political leanings too, but B5 always played it fairly even handed.

I had the feeling Whisper's character was going that direction, that there would be more to him, that we might get more of his perspective, but he seems to have fallen squarely into typical big bad tropes. I would have liked to see a 'The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father' kinda moment, where we see BPO from their side of things. I doubt we'll get that in the 2 hour special. Sorry, am getting off topic here. This could easily be a separate thread, feel free to to move it from my last post onwards. Might be an interesting aspect of the show to discuss?

Last edited by Ubik; 04-09-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
This could easily be a separate thread, feel free to to move it from my last post onwards. Might be an interesting aspect of the show to discuss?
Good idea. Will create a new thread and move these this evening (off to work now).
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 04-09-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I had the feeling Whisper's character was going that direction, that there would be more to him, that we might get more of his perspective, but he seems to have fallen squarely into typical big bad tropes.
Yeah...sort of like the Shadows were? Not buying it. I trust JMS to have had a valid reason (whether we agree with it or not) for doing as he does. As early as it was in the show, I'd certainly never assume that JMS got a case of the 'obvious stupids' and that's exactly what it would take for your theory to be true.

The one I seriously don't trust is Jonas. I don't know if he's been coerced or is in collusion but I don't trust him for a second. And that's one where I may be falling into a trap that many fans did with Kosh in B5 - thinking he was a 'good guy' regardless of having been shown a ruthless/bad side.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:12 PM
Just a fan

In season 2 Whispers told Will his motivation is to engineer a future for his kind with the murderous sapiens. Will of course didn't believe him, but one would assume this would eventually get expanded upon in a later season, maybe the third since the second ended with Whispers in custody. Perfect opportunity to unlock the secrets of Whispers in the third.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:50 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
In season 2 Whispers told Will his motivation is to engineer a future for his kind with the murderous sapiens. Will of course didn't believe him, but one would assume this would eventually get expanded upon in a later season, maybe the third since the second ended with Whispers in custody. Perfect opportunity to unlock the secrets of Whispers in the third.
Yes, that would have definitely worked. Perhaps we'll still get elements of that in the finale? I'm a little sad to not be seeing the full 5 season arc, as I have the distinct feeling JMS would have had it plotted out at least in broad strokes.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:41 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

Quote:
The one I seriously don't trust is Jonas.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Quote:
I don't know if he's been coerced or is in collusion but I don't trust him for a second. And that's one where I may be falling into a trap that many fans did with Kosh in B5 - thinking he was a 'good guy' regardless of having been shown a ruthless/bad side.
I always figured he was a bit of a Bester/Byron type. Like those two (who share more in common than they realize), he sees humans and sensates in Us/Them terms. I don't think he would have been purely an antagonist in the long term, but also not purely an ally.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:00 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Yeah...sort of like the Shadows were? Not buying it. I trust JMS to have had a valid reason (whether we agree with it or not) for doing as he does. As early as it was in the show, I'd certainly never assume that JMS got a case of the 'obvious stupids' and that's exactly what it would take for your theory to be true.
I wonder if after the finale airing, JMS might be willing to talk more about the show, what ifs and full arc? I remember him dropping a bit of info after the cancellation. But I'd love to hear him talk at length about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
The one I seriously don't trust is Jonas. I don't know if he's been coerced or is in collusion but I don't trust him for a second. And that's one where I may be falling into a trap that many fans did with Kosh in B5 - thinking he was a 'good guy' regardless of having been shown a ruthless/bad side.
Yep. My money was initially on heavily coerced, but i have a feeling he may turn out to have darker motives and perhaps betrayed his own Cluster.

Last edited by Ubik; 04-10-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: