JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 AM
Ubik's Avatar
Ubik Ubik is offline
Vorlon Visitor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: York, UK
Posts: 2,057
Who Wrote What-and Other Questions

I still find the division of labour fascinating, and I always wonder if some of the standout pieces are JMS or the Ws or a bit of both. I guess I am interested in how JMS' writing has eveolved and to compare and contrast to earlier work.

The one thing that was definitely JMS; the Rajan broken penis thing, made me want to turn the show off. It's that schoolboy humour that does absolutely nothing for me.

Equally some of the more binary preachy moments, there were a few that made me roll my eyes, and these are surely the Ws... so blame can perhaps be shared for those things that don't work for me. I sometimes find myself wishing the show had more subtlety and grey areas.

One thing that struck me recently was that we have yet to see a Sensate who just goes insane, or loses it at the point of awakening, to the extent that they bring down a cluster because they can't handle the constant connection. I mean, it would be really hard going, wouldn't it?! I still find it surprising no one outright rejects the cluster. I mean, bang, there goes your privacy. I thought there were elements of the 'shared mind' thing that could have been really interesting, like having a mentally unstable Sensate or a recovering alcoholic / drug abuser.
__________________
Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 04-09-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:43 AM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 13,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
The one thing that was definitely JMS; the Rajan broken penis thing, made me want to turn the show off. It's that schoolboy humour that does absolutely nothing for me.

Equally some of the more binary preachy moments, there were a few that made me roll my eyes, and these are surely the Ws... so blame can perhaps be shared for those things that don't work for me. I sometimes find myself wishing the show had more subtlety and grey areas.
I don't think we can assign things that way. We know that JMS has often tended to being 'preachy' for instance.
__________________
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2018, 03:32 AM
Ubik's Avatar
Ubik Ubik is offline
Vorlon Visitor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: York, UK
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I don't think we can assign things that way. We know that JMS has often tended to being 'preachy' for instance.
Yes, I accept that. But I've always found JMS' work explores the grey areas more, and is less concerned with binary good / evil. Sense8 is sometimes maddeningly black and white in how it handles its politics and themes. Like I said before, all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face sometimes! I do see the need for it, the world needs a show like this, but occasionally I wish it would let us draw our own conclusions instead of feeling the need to spell the message out repeatedly. It seems like more of a Wachowski trope than JMS to me. But, it's hard to say. He has some very strong political leanings too, but B5 always played it fairly even handed.

I had the feeling Whisper's character was going that direction, that there would be more to him, that we might get more of his perspective, but he seems to have fallen squarely into typical big bad tropes. I would have liked to see a 'The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father' kinda moment, where we see BPO from their side of things. I doubt we'll get that in the 2 hour special. Sorry, am getting off topic here. This could easily be a separate thread, feel free to to move it from my last post onwards. Might be an interesting aspect of the show to discuss?
__________________
Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 04-09-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2018, 04:10 AM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 13,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
This could easily be a separate thread, feel free to to move it from my last post onwards. Might be an interesting aspect of the show to discuss?
Good idea. Will create a new thread and move these this evening (off to work now).
__________________
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 13,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
I had the feeling Whisper's character was going that direction, that there would be more to him, that we might get more of his perspective, but he seems to have fallen squarely into typical big bad tropes.
Yeah...sort of like the Shadows were? Not buying it. I trust JMS to have had a valid reason (whether we agree with it or not) for doing as he does. As early as it was in the show, I'd certainly never assume that JMS got a case of the 'obvious stupids' and that's exactly what it would take for your theory to be true.

The one I seriously don't trust is Jonas. I don't know if he's been coerced or is in collusion but I don't trust him for a second. And that's one where I may be falling into a trap that many fans did with Kosh in B5 - thinking he was a 'good guy' regardless of having been shown a ruthless/bad side.
__________________
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2018, 11:12 PM
sense8ional's Avatar
sense8ional sense8ional is online now
Just a fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,487
In season 2 Whispers told Will his motivation is to engineer a future for his kind with the murderous sapiens. Will of course didn't believe him, but one would assume this would eventually get expanded upon in a later season, maybe the third since the second ended with Whispers in custody. Perfect opportunity to unlock the secrets of Whispers in the third.
__________________
My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2018, 12:50 AM
Ubik's Avatar
Ubik Ubik is offline
Vorlon Visitor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: York, UK
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
In season 2 Whispers told Will his motivation is to engineer a future for his kind with the murderous sapiens. Will of course didn't believe him, but one would assume this would eventually get expanded upon in a later season, maybe the third since the second ended with Whispers in custody. Perfect opportunity to unlock the secrets of Whispers in the third.
Yes, that would have definitely worked. Perhaps we'll still get elements of that in the finale? I'm a little sad to not be seeing the full 5 season arc, as I have the distinct feeling JMS would have had it plotted out at least in broad strokes.
__________________
Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2018, 03:41 AM
Jonas's Avatar
Jonas Jonas is offline
[Zathras Conspiracy]
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A hollow duck in orbit around Ganymede.
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
The one I seriously don't trust is Jonas.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Quote:
I don't know if he's been coerced or is in collusion but I don't trust him for a second. And that's one where I may be falling into a trap that many fans did with Kosh in B5 - thinking he was a 'good guy' regardless of having been shown a ruthless/bad side.
I always figured he was a bit of a Bester/Byron type. Like those two (who share more in common than they realize), he sees humans and sensates in Us/Them terms. I don't think he would have been purely an antagonist in the long term, but also not purely an ally.
__________________
Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-10-2018, 06:00 AM
Ubik's Avatar
Ubik Ubik is offline
Vorlon Visitor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: York, UK
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Yeah...sort of like the Shadows were? Not buying it. I trust JMS to have had a valid reason (whether we agree with it or not) for doing as he does. As early as it was in the show, I'd certainly never assume that JMS got a case of the 'obvious stupids' and that's exactly what it would take for your theory to be true.
I wonder if after the finale airing, JMS might be willing to talk more about the show, what ifs and full arc? I remember him dropping a bit of info after the cancellation. But I'd love to hear him talk at length about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
The one I seriously don't trust is Jonas. I don't know if he's been coerced or is in collusion but I don't trust him for a second. And that's one where I may be falling into a trap that many fans did with Kosh in B5 - thinking he was a 'good guy' regardless of having been shown a ruthless/bad side.
Yep. My money was initially on heavily coerced, but i have a feeling he may turn out to have darker motives and perhaps betrayed his own Cluster.
__________________
Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 04-10-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.