JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Have you read the Dan Clowes comic this is based on?
I have not. I actually saw the movie on the spur of the moment.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:03 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Okay so I finished watching Oliver Stone's Alexander (2004) last night. What went wrong here? I wouldn't say this is a bad movie, though there are some surprisingly poorly directed moments, but it is what I would call a failed effort. There just seems to be something missing in this epic. There seems to be a spark that is absent. I feel that Collin Farrell is putting in the effort, but I am not captivated by his performance. The character he brings to life just doesn't come off like the character the movie seems to want to portray. Many of the other performances don't really stand out either. I guess my point is that the effort put into this massive project should have yielded better results.
It's a combination of the horrific screenplay (which fails to capture the fascinating aspects of those people and that time in pretty much every way) and some of the worst casting I've ever seen. Not because the actors are bad, but because they're hilariously inappropriate for their parts. I mean, Angelina Jolie as Colin Farrell's mum? Did she have him when she was one year old?

It's a movie that seems to yearn to be about something, but doesn't seem to have the ability to reach for it. Which really bugs me, because Alexander is one of the most fascinating historical figures you could make a movie about.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:48 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Wriggly Scott has been losing his ability to make good films for years now. I have pretty much zero interest in the new Alien film because of this.

Kosh: Good!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

For me, Scott's always been mixed. Some of his films I love, some I hate. Of his recent films, I enjoyed Robin Hood and The Martian quite a bit. Prometheus was disappointing, Exodus a disaster. My main problem with Prometheus/Alien: Covenant is that they seem hell-bent on taking the mystery out of the story, reducing everything to the actions of a handful of people.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Confirmed User

I believe I have posted my thoughts on Scott before, but here they are again. I have learned to attribute anything he has ever done that I love to blind luck. If I were ever able to pick a Top Ten favorite films of all time Blade Runner would have fallen into that category before Scott announced that certain lines of dialogue were just mistakes. Now I watch it and feel like I am being tricked. Now when I start losing myself in it I wonder if in fact someone else directed it and Scott took the credit. I can say that Blade Runner must be a testament to how making a film is a team effort. Clearly others had great influence on the project.

And back to Alexander (2004), I completely agree with Jonas. I guess Oliver Stone should stick to stories that happened in his lifetime and make better casting choices. I know that the way he got the financing to make such an epic effort was by attaching those names to the project, but what a mistake. I'm not saying they are not talented actors, but I didn't feel the chemistry. And I have no idea if this aspect was meant to be historically accurate or what, but the black eyeliner was ridiculous.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:56 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

Watched Alien: Covenant. It's just terrible. Does awful things to the overall story, but is also just utterly stupid as a film in its own right. Might contain the dumbest characters I've seen in a horror movie. If you've seen the scene in the Lander, you know what I'm talking about. All it's missing is the Benny Hill theme song.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:51 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Watched Alien: Covenant. It's just terrible. Does awful things to the overall story, but is also just utterly stupid as a film in its own right. Might contain the dumbest characters I've seen in a horror movie. If you've seen the scene in the Lander, you know what I'm talking about. All it's missing is the Benny Hill theme song.
So, it's exactly what I feared it would be. Was disinterested at best, now I'll actively avoid it.

Kosh: Good!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
So, it's exactly what I feared it would be. Was disinterested at best, now I'll actively avoid it.
"Alien: Covenant" wasn't that bad. I actually liked it better than "Prometheus", which had huge problems as pointed out by the brilliant Hitler rant.

"Alien: Covenant" does however have a been there/done that quality to it. A lot of it plays like a remake of the original "Alien".
Old 06-04-2017, 09:31 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

I liked Prometheus better, but I didn't like Prometheus.

Rewatched Aliens a while ago - now that's a movie. Still holds up, and has genuine heart and depth.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
I liked Prometheus better, but I didn't like Prometheus.

Rewatched Aliens a while ago - now that's a movie. Still holds up, and has genuine heart and depth.
Agreed. "Aliens" was a follow-up movie done right. None of the subsequent films were anywhere near that standard.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
"Alien: Covenant" wasn't that bad.
I believe that is the highest praise I've heard for this movie.

Now Looney saw Wonder Woman today. I have to say that I thought it was the best of the D.C. movies to date. I also have to say it felt a LOT like a Marvel movie. I wouldn't say it is a brilliant movie. It is entertaining, but also has some missteps. And if I am being honest, Gal Gadot just doesn't do much for me. She seems too tall skinny 'model' pretty and not enough like I picture an athletic badass Amazon Warrior Princess. That being said I think Patty Jenkins did an excellent job. There are some things I would change, but I also REALLY feel like I got the Director's vision. If I look at this from a completely stand-alone perspective it might not seem as good as it does, but when comparing it to everything else they've done in D.C. Universe to date it is definitely a home run for me. Will I run out and buy the Blu-Ray - NOPE! But if I was forced to pick a D.C. movie to own this would be it. Unfortunately part of what prevents me from saying I would buy this movie is that my nature being what it is would incline me to have to purchase all of the D.C. Universe Films if I purchased this one. That is not going to happen.

Last edited by Looney; 06-04-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Confirmed User

I'm reporting (without permission, but he won't mind) John Vaughan's review of it. A friend forcibly dragged me to it anf well...
Quote:
So tonight I went to see Alien Covenant...Now as some of you know every year at Octocon , I run the Vaulties, a look back at some of the worst films of the year....well folks I think we have a winner because I HATED EVERY MINUTE OF THIS GARBAGE! I don't know who to blame more for this the writers or Ridley Scott...because some how they have managed to take an Iconic creation whose roots came from the b-movies of the fifties and somehow return it to the drek it had risen above. Characters? what character?...we get info dumps that are supposed to be characterization. Those same cookie cutter "characters" end up doing the most stupidest things, merely to propel the story along....remember Prometheus and the scientist who designed the mapping system yet somehow got lost? That is pulitzer prize winning logic compared to the stupidity in this one. I swear there is a sequence that had it been in a 80's slasher movie that would have made more sense and as for the Alien itself? Watch Ridley Scott p*** thirty years of continuity away with a chest buster sequence and an aftermath that if it wasn't so rage inducing would be quite frankly laughable. is there anything good in this ? well there's the cast , they do their best with z-movie dialog and logic (there is something wrong when Danny Mcbride is actually convincing in a serious role) but that is it, that's all ...they even have the cheek to re use key moments of Jerry Goldsmiths score from Alien just to remind you "hey don't forget when this was good." Do you know what truly is maddening about this...Scott had Neil Blomkamp's Alien project shot down for this?!?!?!...This turd of a b-movie which only Alien:Resurrection barely beats for being the crappiest. Outside of the cast , the team that produced this should hang their heads in shame....to everyone else do yourselves a favour and AVOID!
On the bright side I'm off to see wonder woman today, so here's hoping.
closing thoughts on that risbile pile of excrement above, I went in with literally zero expectations and was still disappointed, as John says, AVOID
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Confirmed User

All anyone needs to know about Alien Covenant can be garnered from the mess that was Prometheus. After that the Alien franchise should have found a way to ban Scott from involvement. Now we might have seen the final nail in the ALIEN coffin, but I doubt it. Likely it is just the nail that keeps it shut until Scott is no longer with us.

I would have hope for Blade Runner 2049 because Scott isn't directing it, but I haven't really loved much of Villeneuve's work and Scott is still involved with the project. I can't say I dislike Villeneuve's work, but he hasn't impressed me as much as he has impressed others. Couple that with Scott being someone who is calling the shots and I am sure this movie is going to be all kinds of a mess. I will see it, but my expectations are as low as they can be.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:16 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

Villeneuve is literally my least favourite director; I'd rather see Blade Runner as made by Uwe Boll. I'm sure it'll be visually stunning, agonizingly slow, and intellectually hollow, much like every movie he's gotten praised for. Gah.

I wish some stories would just be left alone. Blade Runner was fine as it was. I'd be all in favour of a good Alien sequel - that's a story that lends itself to expansion - but nobody apart from James Cameron seems to know how to do it.

Actually, somebody get JMS to write an Alien sequel...
Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
I'd rather see Blade Runner as made by Uwe Boll.
I think you may have just placed a curse on Blade Runner by mentioning that name.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: