JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 AM

While this one isn't an in-person appearance, it's worth noting that "Day of the Dead" (ad SO many other things) writer Neil Gaiman will be appearing on 'The Big Bang Theory' this week.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_t...g-bang-theory/
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Confirmed User

I had an odd one recently! I was channel-hopping one evening when I stumbled upon a group of people talking about something called "Midnight Express". I continued watching because I thought they might be talking about a train!

Instead, the "Midnight Express" they were discussing is a graphically violent film based on the real-life case of a young American lad who had tried to cross the Turkish border whilst in possession of a quantity of contraband narcotics. He was arrested and sentenced to an ultra-violent prison which could easily be called Hell on Earth. However, the young man eventually escaped, and his story was dramatised in the film being discussed.

I kept looking at this guy and thinking "I know him from somewhere," and eventually it dawned on me; he played the Traveller in the extended edition of Babylon 5 - The Gathering. That's right; a real-life former-drug-smuggler was hired to play... a fictional "Dust" drug-smuggler in Babylon 5; Billy Hayes!

Like Sinclair says, there are "NO weapons or DUST allowed on Babylon 5!"

Last edited by Sinclair's Fan; 05-10-2018 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Grammar fix.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:16 AM
Confirmed User

Now there is an odd bit of trivia I didn't know. Everyone better remember that one. It will be on the final exam.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Now there is an odd bit of trivia I didn't know. Everyone better remember that one. It will be on the final exam.
It's comforting to know that -even after all this time- our beloved Babylon 5 still yeilds big surprises, and occasionally... magic!
Old 05-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan View Post
It's comforting to know that -even after all this time- our beloved Babylon 5 still yeilds big surprises, and occasionally... magic!
It really is an odd bit of trivia. Why was he hired and why wasn't the part bigger? Anyone know if it was edited down? Is it possible they were originally intending for him to make more than one appearance? So strange that they would hire such an infamous person to play the role of a smuggler and then have his screen time be so limited. It is like they wanted the role to become oddball trivia. LOL
Old 06-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
It really is an odd bit of trivia. Why was he hired and why wasn't the part bigger? Anyone know if it was edited down? Is it possible they were originally intending for him to make more than one appearance? So strange that they would hire such an infamous person to play the role of a smuggler and then have his screen time be so limited. It is like they wanted the role to become oddball trivia. LOL
I don't know what the original plan was, (or even if there was a plan to begin with!), and it would certainly be a great question to ask JMS, but yeah his appearance in the film is almost non-existent... until you watch the extended edition. Then the spoo really hits the fan!
Old 06-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Looking at IMDb, it really doesn't look like he had all that much prior to B5? And lots of actors just don't turn down work.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 06-05-2018, 07:09 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Looking at IMDb, it really doesn't look like he had all that much prior to B5? And lots of actors just don't turn down work.
So could it have been a coincidence and they didn't know who he was? It isn't impossible, but I doubt it. I feel like he has to have been cast because of it. Maybe he was just a friend of a friend or something.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
So could it have been a coincidence and they didn't know who he was? It isn't impossible, but I doubt it. I feel like he has to have been cast because of it. Maybe he was just a friend of a friend or something.
dont go by IMDB--almost anyone can edit them so billings come and go
Old 08-09-2018, 07:04 AM
Confirmed User

Ombuds Wellington / Doctor Lazarenn / G'Quan himself, Jim Norton in ELEMENTARY - SEASON 2 EPISODE 23: ART IN THE BLOOD.

I confess I've often wondered why I don't see him in more, but he does have several credits to his name so I have just missed seeing his work. I really like his speaking voice. Definitely made for doing Voice Over narration, but his IMDB credits don't seem to show a lot of voice work. There is some, but not as much as I expected. It also surprises me that he is "Uncredited" in some of his B5 episodes. I guess I missed that.

And as a side note. I love ELEMENTARY!!!!! I just discovered it a few months ago thanks to the wonders of Hulu. So far I would say I've enjoyed about 90% of everything I've seen. Love the cast. Love the stories.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: