JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Confirmed User

I have to agree with the comments that Aliens was a really great Alien sequel. It still remains as my all time favorite Sci Fi Horror Film.

This reminds me, I need to watch it again (lol).

A quick question for those Aliens fans:

With the extended version readily available, do people think the added scenes add to the story or slow the movie down in any way. Personally I like the extended version better. A good example is the scene where it shows the thriving colony before the arrival of the colonial marines.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:22 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Villeneuve is literally my least favourite director; I'd rather see Blade Runner as made by Uwe Boll. I'm sure it'll be visually stunning, agonizingly slow, and intellectually hollow, much like every movie he's gotten praised for. Gah.

I wish some stories would just be left alone. Blade Runner was fine as it was. I'd be all in favour of a good Alien sequel - that's a story that lends itself to expansion - but nobody apart from James Cameron seems to know how to do it.

Actually, somebody get JMS to write an Alien sequel...
I thought Arrival was beautifully made. One of the better SF features of the past years that wasn't a half arsed sequel, prequel or reboot.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 06-13-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:22 PM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth66 View Post
With the extended version readily available, do people think the added scenes add to the story or slow the movie down in any way. Personally I like the extended version better. A good example is the scene where it shows the thriving colony before the arrival of the colonial marines.
I think the extended version is better. More texture, more flavour. The new scenes are good. Not that the original is bad in any way.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:

I haven't seen the entire extended cut, but I have seen some clips. One thing I like about the theatrical version is that the audience has the same level of knowledge that the arriving marines do. So, you're piecing together what happened to the colony at the same time the characters are.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Friendly Archaeologist

Quote:

I think many of the added scenes takes away some of the tension in the original. I really like the fact that we know nothing until the marines arrive. The automatic sentry-guns scene especially. That one had been much better from the marines perspective as well. Something like:

Ripley and the marines in the main room.
A control panel,maybe with a view screen, and the marines talking over it:
Bishop: No 1 is registering movement.
Hicks: 'Bout time.
*blamblamblam* (ammo counter sinking)
Vasquez: Ha, got you sucker!
Hicks: Wait, more movement at the other one ...
*blamblamblam* (ammo counter sinking)
Vasquez: Ha, we got the other ones as well! Our work here is done.
*blamblamblamblamblam on and on* (ammocounters turns to zero)
Ripley: What just happened?
Hicks: Both sentries ran out of ammo ...
(exchanging silent looks).
Hudson: We're f****d.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: