JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 03:46 PM
He's our Centauri

Star Trek Discovery Blues

I thought JMS had creative rights problems.
Paramount developers of new Star Trek Discovery are locked out of the 'Prime Universe' by the original series owners CBS.
I always wondered why the Enterprise, uniforms, and phasers changed while fans complained.
Any new Trek cannot legally look like The Original Series Prime Universe unless approved and licensed CBS. Even a 'tribble' has to be licensed.

Midnight Edge created a great explanation in a 20 min video that all Trek fans should watch

Star Trek Discovery: To Be Replaced by Nicholas Meyer
https://youtu.be/tQcLLfzzKWA

Last edited by DaveNarn; 08-10-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNarn View Post
I thought JMS had creative rights problems.
Paramount developers of new Star Trek Discovery are locked out of the 'Prime Universe' by the original series owners CBS.
I always wondered why the Enterprise, uniforms, and phasers changed while fans complained.
Any new Trek cannot legally look like The Original Series Prime Universe unless approved and licensed CBS. Even a 'tribble' has to be licensed.

Midnight Edge created a great explanation in a 20 min video that all Trek fans should watch

Star Trek Discovery: To Be Replaced by Nicholas Meyer
https://youtu.be/tQcLLfzzKWA
Wow, I hadn't realised that. Well, here's a postive, at least it forces the show to evolve and be different! I really do hope Discovery does something new with Trek, something intelligent and entertaining.

Kosh: Good!
Old 08-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Wow, I hadn't realised that. Well, here's a postive, at least it forces the show to evolve and be different! I really do hope Discovery does something new with Trek, something intelligent and entertaining.
I don't. I'm not paying for another subscription service so I hope it is terrible. LOL

In all seriousness I just can't imagine it is going to be very good considering all of the trouble it has been to get made. I wish it luck, but the only way I'll ever see it is if it lands DVD, Blu-Ray, or a streaming service I am already paying for. Since none of those options seem viable I doubt I will ever see it.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
I don't. I'm not paying for another subscription service so I hope it is terrible. LOL

In all seriousness I just can't imagine it is going to be very good considering all of the trouble it has been to get made. I wish it luck, but the only way I'll ever see it is if it lands DVD, Blu-Ray, or a streaming service I am already paying for. Since none of those options seem viable I doubt I will ever see it.
Netlfix are getting it, so I'm good. If I didn't have Netflix I'd just stream or DL it from one of the hundreds of free streaming sites that will have it the minute it airs. There's no controlling content on the net these days, once it's out there, it's out there.

But, as it stands I can aways do Netflix for a month for six pounds or whatever they charge these days, then just cancel once I've seen it all.

Last edited by Ubik; 08-11-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:47 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Netlfix are getting it, so I'm good.
Netflix are getting it in all regions but the US

Discovery's creator Bryan Fuller who left it for American Gods recently talked about the conflicts of vision he had with CBS: http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/28/bryan-fu...rek-discovery/

He pitched it as an anthology, which the network didn't agree with, and he had issues with the pilot's director, budget, and push for less complex storylines the network wanted, among other things.

Quote:
Some of Fuller’s ideas were tossed — from the more heavily allegorical and complex storyline to his choice of uniforms (a subdued spin on The Original Series trio of primary colors). “I got to dream big,” Fuller says. “I was sad for a week and then I salute the ship and compartmentalize my experience.”

Yet the piece of Fuller’s vision he was most specifically passionate about for so long — casting a woman of color to lead a Trek revival — was achieved. Producers hired Martin-Green a few months after Fuller left. Ironically, it was the production delays that made her casting possible.

Many months later, Fuller saw the Star Trek: Discovery trailer. How did he feel watching that? Fuller pauses. “What I can say is…my reaction was that I was happy to see a black woman and an Asian woman in command of a Starship.”

Last edited by sense8ional; 08-12-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Vorlon Visitor

So, who is watching this tonight?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: