JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

View Poll Results: Would you want to see Babylon 5 done by someone else?
The Team from Any Star Trek from TNG Forward 0 0%
The Team from Stargate SG-1 0 0%
The Team from Battlestar Galactica 2004 0 0%
The Team from Doctor Who 0 0%
The Team from Farscape 0 0%
Joss Whedon 1 10.00%
J.J. Abrams 1 10.00%
Chris Carter 0 0%
Steven Spielberg 0 0%
Other 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
I've already outlined my dislike for it at great length over in the Jupiter Ascending thread, so won't retread that here.
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! ! It was so easy for me to pull that out of you Ubik! The master manipulator Looney strikes again!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! ! It was so easy for me to pull that out of you Ubik! The master manipulator Looney strikes again!
LOL! Ha. My subconscious has obviously been mulling it over, and my subconscious is still pissed!

Kosh: Good!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
LOL! Ha. My subconscious has obviously been mulling it over, and my subconscious is still pissed!
/me offers Ubik's subconscious a cup of coffee ad good night's sleep
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 03-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
If you can't tell a good story in 127 minutes, then questions need to be asked about the script! The plot was paper thin and far from clever, essentially a re-hash of the Matrix, (feeding on others to extend life / live) and not a very good one at that.
As you said, nothing personal but...
A) I *frequently* feel that a movie needs more time to tell the story! Far too frequently there are awkward edits that show where it was cut too much.

B) Either I saw a completely different movie or you missed the point. Reincarnation is very much not the same as "extend(ing) life". Not in any way, shape or form.

We seem to have yanked the thread off course - my fault - but I really loved the story, the visuals and the acting.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:19 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
As you said, nothing personal but...
A) I *frequently* feel that a movie needs more time to tell the story! Far too frequently there are awkward edits that show where it was cut too much.

B) Either I saw a completely different movie or you missed the point. Reincarnation is very much not the same as "extend(ing) life". Not in any way, shape or form.

We seem to have yanked the thread off course - my fault - but I really loved the story, the visuals and the acting.
No worries. We're never going to agree on this one! Back to the original thread then!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
No worries. We're never going to agree on this one! Back to the original thread then!
So moving past that, are there any other suggestions that didn't make my list? JoeD80 and Ubik had a couple. Anyone else?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:11 AM
Vorlon Visitor

WB has an excellent animated film / cartoon division. Almost all of the DC stuff they've adapted is excellent and done to a very high standard.

I could definitely stand to see further B5 adventures as an animated feature or series. This would also open the door for some of the original cast to do voice work. You could easily re-voice some of the other characters with a suitably talented voice actor. The cost is waaay lower than any kind of live action outing, and can be just as effective and beautiful.

Hell, those that wanted to see Cursade concluded, it could easily be done this way. Hell, you could reboot from the start and do the whole thing. You could even make the Drakh scary instead of being visually lame beyond belief.

There's so much scope for cool stuff. It's a shame it's a bit of a pipe dream.

Last edited by Ubik; 03-23-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:59 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
WB has an excellent animated film / cartoon division. Almost all of the DC stuff they've adapted is excellent and done to a very high standard.

I could definitely stand to see further B5 adventures as an animated feature or series. This would also open the door for some of the original cast to do voice work. You could easily re-voice some of the other characters with a suitably talented voice actor. The cost is waaay lower than any kind of live action outing, and can be just as effective and beautiful.

Hell, those that wanted to see Cursade concluded, it could easily be done this way. Hell, you could reboot from the start and do the whole thing. You could even make the Drakh scary instead of being visually lame beyond belief.

There's so much scope for cool stuff. It's a shame it's a bit of a pipe dream.
In my heart of hearts I don't want to see Babylon 5 as an animated series because I LOVE just about everything visual about the show. Plus I am VERY picky about animation. If I don't like the images, I don't want to see it - that is why I never got into any of the Star Wars animated stuff. Having said that everyone knows I would accept ANYTHING NEW in the Babylon 5 Universe! I would even take them going back and animating the entire series and then dubbing in the original sound and dialogue! I would LOVE it if, what is left of, the original cast could do voice work in anything new. I would LOVE the story to continue where it left off with the new cast and old cast doing voice work. Possibly the most difficult person to replace would be Jeff Conaway because we know Zack was in charge of Security for a very long time. He is definitely a character that would have to be recast, which I would hate to see because I know Conaway would hate to hear he missed out on continuing to play Zack.

I would LOVE to see Crusade continued as an animated series. I would LOVE to see all of the original cast return, but I also feel comfortable saying that I wouldn't mind if some of the higher priced talent, Gary Cole and Daniel Dae Kim, had to be replaced. It is easily explained that Gideon and Matheson were reassigned for new characters with more experience in similar circumstances involving exploration or medical exploration or first contact protocol or whatever.

And why not get an animated Season of Legend of The Rangers? Especially now that JMS has had years of listening to negative things about it. Would he change anything or would all of the negative stuff be put to rest once the series started going and his original story unfolded?

And then we get to The Lost Tales. This falls into the same category as the original series. I wouldn't want to see anything directly involving the station be animated, but I'd take it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: