JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > General Discussions

Old 07-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Rampantly Irresponsible

Have a safe trip Jan and everyone else heading to San Diego. We'll be here, checking frequently for updates!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frulad
Have a safe trip Jan and everyone else heading to San Diego. We'll be here, checking frequently for updates!

Same from me. I had a look at the location of SDCC on Google Earth - it looks like a great place. I guess that image will be as close as I'll be getting to San Diego
Old 07-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Confirmed User

First time i've visited this site since the TMOS campaign.

The potential for a new B5 project is good news. I just hope that what happened last time doesn't happen again.

Heres waiting for the news....
Old 07-19-2006, 03:08 PM

Well, I've arrived and checked into the hotel. I'll head off to the Convention Center shortly to picik up my pass and check out Preview Night.

Stay tuned...

Your intrepid on-the-spot reporter,
Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 07-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Confirmed User

We look forward to your on-the-spot reporting. Even though I am going out of town this week-end I will still be checking in for THE news. Plus any other tid bits you hear about. I would be interested in knowing about the Touchstone project.

Have fun
Old 07-21-2006, 07:30 AM

Yesterday was the Marvel panel on the Civil War. It's best covered by Newsarama but I did tape it so if there are any questions, I've started a thread in the 'Comics' forum.

Today's JMS items are a 'Spider-Man: Then and Now' panel with Joe Quesada and Stan Lee. I'm going to arrive early to try to ensure I get in for that. Also is the 'JMS on Writing' panel which is a must-see for me. I'm not expecting any major news today but there might be some snippetts.

Stay tuned....

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 07-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Space for rent

Send a message via AIM to AaronB Send a message via MSN to AaronB Send a message via Yahoo to AaronB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
Yesterday was the Marvel panel on the Civil War. It's best covered by Newsarama but I did tape it so if there are any questions, I've started a thread in the 'Comics' forum.

Today's JMS items are a 'Spider-Man: Then and Now' panel with Joe Quesada and Stan Lee. I'm going to arrive early to try to ensure I get in for that. Also is the 'JMS on Writing' panel which is a must-see for me. I'm not expecting any major news today but there might be some snippetts.

Stay tuned....

Jan
Jan,

Thanks for the update. Any idea when JMS would be announcing the B5 related show? (if at all that is)
Old 07-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
Here's what's posted for JMS for the con:

Saturday, July 22

5:00-6:00 Spotlight on J. Michael Straczynskiù He's one of the most popular writers in television and comics, and he's about to add the big screen to that list! J. Michael Straczynski, currently writing the Marvel flagship titles Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four, plus Squadron Supreme, is also the creator of the fan-favorite TV series Babylon 5, Crusade, and Jeremiah. JMS is also the author of Changeling, a big-budget feature film for Imagine Entertainment and Universal Pictures, to be produced and potentially directed by Ron Howard. JMS reveals more about his upcoming work during this spotlight! Room 6B

Jan

Saturday evening, it looks like. I hope he's not cryptic.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:17 AM

Friday

Your Intrepid Reporter here once again with a mini-report from Comic Con. Yesterday JMS had the Spidey-Then and Now panel which I reported on in the Comics Forum ad well as 'JMS on Writing' and a signing.

After the Spidey panel I met up with our own DougO which was nice. There are a number of things he'd like to do to enhance the site, both archives and forums but I think finding the time to do them is tricky. It was really nice to meet him again, though.

The writing session was quite interesting. Some of the questions were fairly common (what's your writing schedule) and some were quite different ranging from 'How do you know if you've got talent?" to specifics about agents and copyrights. JMS was informative and direct in his answers. I'll try to do a transcript of this one.

The session was only supposed to be an hour but nobody called a halt so it went over by about 20 minutes. I think it could've gone on much longer if not for the fact that JMS had a signing scheduled.

When I got to the signing area (one of the best set-ups I've seen, BTW) there was already a considerable line. Still, JMS goes through lines quickly and there are always people to talk to all around you while you wait. I noticed that this time he wrote on the table very early on that he wanted a 10 item limit.

One other thing he put on the table were some business card size "Never Surrender Dreams" cards and a note on the inside of the box to take one. Nice little things-mine will be going up on my monitor at home.

I'd almost forgotten the tentative item at the He-Man panel but caught the final few minutes. If JMS had been there, he'd left already. I was sorry not to have the chance to meet Larry DiTillio and see if he'd sign some script pages I'd brought but I wasn't even sure which panelist he was. Unfortunately there wasn't any group signing scheduled for that panel group.

And now it's time for Your Intrepid Reporter to get ready for another exciting day of standing in line. I promise, any news from the JMS spotlight, I'll post just as soon as possible.

Jan
Old 07-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Rampantly Irresponsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoo Junky
Saturday evening, it looks like. I hope he's not cryptic.

Just a few hours from now!!!!

(*Fingers crossed!!*)
Old 07-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Confirmed User

With SF shows enjoying somewhat of a rennaisance on the boob tube, I am hopeful that JMS is going to announce a B5 TV movie that will lead to another series set in the B5 universe if it is successful.

We should know soon . . .
Old 07-22-2006, 07:41 PM

And here it is! Woo-Hoo!

HereÆs the news in the order JMS gave it at the panel. IÆm posting it pretty much simultaneously to the moderated newsgroup and to JMSNews.

--JMS sold a movie to Ron Howard. ItÆs a thriller/mystery movie set in the æ20s in Los Angeles. They want to get it into production as fast as possible and JMS is flying up there on the 3rd to meet with Ron Howard and those guys to go over the script and make sure everything is where it needs to be. ItÆs going to be a big budget film. Ron Howard is a nice guy. The first time JMS had a phone conference with him about the script, JMS called him Mr. Howard and the reply was ôYou hired my dad on Babylon 5, you can call me whatever you want.ö Possibly it could be in production by the first part of next year.

--JMS was up in Toronto recently and they did a 12 episode radio drama series for the CBC called the Adventures of Apocalypse Al. ItÆs kind of a film noir style comedy drama science fiction supernatural series a la Men In Black or HitchhikerÆs Guide to the Galaxy. ItÆs in little 5 minute chunks and itÆs fall-down funny.

--A pilot for Touchstone has started for a dramatic prime time network series called Borrowed Lives. It was actually sold last year but it was too late to go into development but now theyÆre actually in the script stage.

--Rising Stars is in development with Sam RaimiÆs production company for a series.

--Midnight Nation is being bid on by two different studios for a movie.

--He pitched Dream Police to a major studio, they want to do a motion picture and theyÆre negotiating now for JMS to write it.

--And thereÆs something else*WB came to him as they do periodically wanting to do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but JMS declined mainly because he canÆt yet picture structuring a B5 movie ô*as long as Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead.ö Maybe in a year or two heÆll be able to but right now he canÆt do something big. What JMS suggested was a bunch of short filmsùlittle mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe. They said, ôOkay.ö ThereÆs a network already interested in carrying them but theyÆre also planned for direct to DVD. This will be ôBabylon 5 û The Lost Tales", a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that heÆs rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative support û in writing. They said, ôOkay.ö And JMS wants to direct them. They said, ôOkay.ö The first will be three individual stories about three of the main characters (to be determined). The plan is to shoot in September, post-production Oct.-Dec. and theyÆll probably come out the second quarter of 2007.

IÆll attempt more of a transcript later on but thatÆs the highlights.

Jan
Old 07-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Rampantly Irresponsible

May I be the first to say-"YYYAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(The girlfriend is looking at me strange now. )

Hmmmm.... I wonder what network is interested. *coughsci-ficough*

I wonder if these rediscovered notes came about while putting together the script books?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
This will be ôBabylon 5 û The Lost Tales", a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that heÆs rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative support û in writing. They said, ôOkay.ö And JMS wants to direct them. They said, ôOkay.ö
Jan
Interesting . . . that is more or less the sort of thing I was hoping for in that it sounds like the sort of project that if successful could lead to the return of a B5 universe based series.

I am a little bit surprised that JMS is planning to direct them himself though. Has he ever directed anything? I guess that with it being a limited run he decided to take a shot at complete control over absolutely everything.

Thanks for the update Jan!

Last edited by NotSoWize; 07-22-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Rampantly Irresponsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoWize
I am a little bit surprised that JMS is planning to direct them himself though. Has he ever directed anything? I guess that with it being a limited run he decided to take a shot at complete control over absolutely everything.
He directed the finale episode of the series.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: