JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 06-08-2017, 04:13 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Good to see Joe chiming in. He must have been reeling and angry when the initial announcement came in. This seems far more JMS like. I feel for everyone involved and the fans. Such a shame.

Kosh: Good!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:35 PM

From the verified Sense9 FB account (and others have posted from other media:

"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 06-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Just a fan

On Twitter and Tumblr too.

https://twitter.com/sense8/status/872971089772761089
http://sense8.tumblr.com/post/161601...-sense8-family

As unfortunate that might be, at least it does - seemingly - prove there were internal discussions about it, like Malerba claimed.

But... the end result... SUCKS.

edit Clayton commented: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGXfJAlgT0/

Quote:
Sorry #sensies. It's over. Keep fighting for this world and each other. All my love to you all. #lettinggoishard X

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-08-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:31 PM

Statement from JMS, too.

"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 06-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Confirmed User

I'm so so glad he said we would have gotten a happy ending. Well, at least he implied we could have! Cheers to Paris and no one dying?

I'm sad this is very much likely the end but it's still weird to me they STILL did not give a reason for the cancellation. Like a real explanation, from them, and not the mouths of the cast or whomever else. Interesting timing too, considering OITNB Season 5 gets released tomorrow.

I wonder how long other fans are gonna keep fighting for this though. Even the petition has pretty much died (it's only gotten 2000 signatures in the past 4 hours).
Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromate View Post
I'm sad this is very much likely the end but it's still weird to me they STILL did not give a reason for the cancellation. Like a real explanation, from them, and not the mouths of the cast or whomever else. Interesting timing too, considering OITNB Season 5 gets released tomorrow.
I really don't get that people expect any kind of explanation. I don't recall any network giving any kind of explanation before? And there's been an interview with the CEO out from a few days before the cancellation where he basically warned that they were gonna start cancelling shows like regular networks.

Quote:
I wonder how long other fans are gonna keep fighting for this though. Even the petition has pretty much died (it's only gotten 2000 signatures in the past 4 hours).
Oh, there's a new one now. They want Netflix to hand over the rights to future seasons back to JMS and the Ws. Like that's gonna happen!
Old 06-09-2017, 12:13 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I really don't get that people expect any kind of explanation. I don't recall any network giving any kind of explanation before? And there's been an interview with the CEO out from a few days before the cancellation where he basically warned that they were gonna start cancelling shows like regular networks.

Oh, there's a new one now. They want Netflix to hand over the rights to future seasons back to JMS and the Ws. Like that's gonna happen!
Really? Like every show I've heard of or watched that's been cancelled always has had some kind of explanation. Usually citing low ratings, or conflict behind the scenes, or expenses. It's not like Netflix can't say any of these things without revealing things like numbers/ratings. Them dodging an explanation just sounds sketchy and would rather have them officially just flat out say the reason being low ratings and high cost.

Yeah I saw, but at this point I doubt it will get the same momentum as the one with almost half a million.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:39 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromate View Post
I'm sad this is very much likely the end but it's still weird to me they STILL did not give a reason for the cancellation.
They never do though, it's not just Sense8.

It's like fans want to explicitly be shown all the production budgets. the marketing budgets, all the views, all the statistics, while it's very well known that despite Netflix collecting all that info, they never release that sort of thing.

All the previously canceled shows' budgets, costs, production troubles, etc. were leaks and analyst estimates, not directly released by Netflix.

Deadline had many exclusives about Sense8 (Wachowskis being a joy to work with, Ameen leaving, renewal of contracts), so there's a tiny chance they might write something about it, but if it doesn't happen like.. today, then I doubt they will ever do.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:36 AM
Just a fan

Brian J. Smith made a long post about the cancelation:
https://twitter.com/BrianJacobSmith/...67932997726208
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spuiao

I suggest you read it all, but if you are only interested in the "why":

Quote:
Guys, there are no secrets here. I've been given the same reason for the cancelation that you have: viewership. As far as I'm aware there is no shady court intrigue that contributed to Netflix's decision, and I know that a lot of very smart people had to reach a consensus in order to pull the plug on a show that they had already invested an insane amount of capital in, even if that meant the story would never get an ending.

Our Netflix producers Peter, Cindy and Tara were fans of the show from day one. They partied with us, encouraged us, supported us unconditionally. I do not envy the position they are in here. Netflix is a relatively young enterprise and these kinds of growing pains suck. But please remember that they made this strange, gorgeous, unconventional show possible in the first place, and the show would have continued if only the viewership justified the expense. It may not seem fair in the face of such passionate fan backlash, but it always, ALWAYS boils down to numbers.
He considers the show unfinished, and that it seems like a waste, as future audiences will likely not be interested in watching it knowing it has no conclusion, but he is very happy he got to be a part of it, and also happy that Netflix made it in the first place.

He closes with "I'm going to miss the show and I'm going to miss Gorski, but I'm going forward and I'm never going to be the same." and I suggest we do the same.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-09-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Just a fan

Silvestre's statement: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVIMgv8gEIp/

Quote:
This show made me so happy! I am feeling very grateful to have been part of a show that brought so much unity, acceptance and love. Today, many emotions are gathered in me. I won’t deny that I feel a bit sad, but I am going to try to stay with the positive emotions. I feel so thankful for all the love that Sense8 is getting from all the fans pushing for Sense8 to be renewed. It was such a beautiful surprise to see how committed you guys were with the show. I completely believe in the empowering values that the Wachoski ’s sisters depicted in Sense8. I felt that they were giving voice to many people and some of them were finding courage to stand for their nature, for their rights. I feel thankful that Netflix gave us the possibility to film two seasons of one of the most ambitious shows out there, because they believed in the messages Sense8 was giving: empathy, diversity, love, acceptance.
To me this was an experience that I am never going to forget. This project has proved that sometimes its not all about the destination, but more so about the journey. Sense8 inspired an ongoing journey of strength and creativity. A journey in which we can all find the courage to be free.
Thanks Lana and Lilly.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:43 PM
The one that was

Kind of a rehash, but this crossed my feed today.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/6/9/...ancel-petition
Old 06-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Just a fan

Where "Sense8 creators" though refers to Netflix, not Wachowskis/JMS/Hill/...

edit THR have reposted the entirety of Smith's letter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...s-fans-1012024

As far as I can tell they are the only ones to do that.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Confirmed User

Deadline posted about the reaffirmation of the cancellation. Nothing new though.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/netflix-...ge-1202110597/
Old 06-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Just a fan

Ted Sarandos (very briefly) talks Sense8 (along with The Get Down, and cancellations in general): http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/netf...os-1202461684/

Quote:
“Relative to what you spent, are people watching it? That is pretty traditional,” Sarandos said in a conversation with Jerry Seinfeld, whose “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” is moving to Netflix for its next season. “When I say that, a big expensive show for a huge audience is great. A big, expensive show for a tiny audience is hard even in our model to make that work very long.”
Quote:
Sarandos praised “Sense8” and “The Get Down,” saying producers “made an incredible contribution to our culture with those shows.” He also addressed comments made last month by his boss, CEO Reed Hastings, who noted at the Code Conference that Netflix had canceled “very few shows” and said that the company’s “hit ratio is way too high right now,” signaling more cancellations in the future.
edit More explicitly: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...heater-1012224

Quote:
Speaking of the recent cancellation of series like The Get Down and Sense8, Sarandos admitted that even for the Netflix model an expensive series that doesn't attract enough viewers becomes problematic. Of Sense8, he commented, "They did a beautiful show," but “the audience was very passionate, but not large enough to support the economics of something that big, even on our platform.”
So let's put to rest the "Netflix will refuse to provide a reason" complaints. They just did explicitly this time, after we were told about it implicitly or through others multiple times.

That being said the budget could go down so a continuation, or more correctly conclusion, should had been possible, but Netflix were no longer interested in it, as they knew it would never become a hit and they are no longer afraid of canceling shows with cliffhangers.

edit Deadline covering it too, but nothing new: http://deadline.com/2017/06/jerry-se...by-1202111017/

Quote:
Sarandos also spoke about the recent cancellations of original Netflix series The Get Down and Sense8, explaining, that “big expensive” shows “for a huge audience is great” but “a big, expensive show for a tiny audience is hard even in our model.”
edit Full quote: http://www.thewrap.com/netflix-ted-s...-cancellation/

Quote:
Netflix’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos defended the streaming platform’s recent decisions to cancel two high profile shows, “The Get Down” and “Sense8.”

“We couldn’t support those economics,” the executive said onstage during a conversation with Jerry Seinfeld at the Produced By Conference Saturday. “If you put all your money into something that a very few people are watching, eventually you’ll have nothing for people to watch.”
Quote:
He spoke similarly of “Sense8,” citing expensive costs for the cast to travel across the world to film in eight different cities simultaneously.

“It was incredibly ambitious,” he praised the sci-fi series from the Wachowskis. “It broke all kinds of new ground, being a show rooted in concepts of gender and identity… They made a beautiful show. We did two seasons of it and a movie in between. Similarly, the audience was very passionate but just not large enough to support the economics of something that big, even in our platform.”

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-10-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Just a fan

JMS seems to confirm not all 8 had renewed their contracts when Netflix canceled it.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...05658721239040

Quote:
So Netflix had issues renewing with the cast? (Don't mind if you don't answer as its a Netflix question)

Renew options were sent out Feb/March because they new the actors had to start signing other contracts..4 of 8 were signed for a 3rd season

This is correct.
In bold, JMS' response.

edit He also said yesterday:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...30901647728640

Quote:
It would be inappropriate for me speak for the cast. It's true that their options expired. Anything more should properly come from them
which hints to perhaps Netflix freezing the process perhaps when they realized they were no longer interested in Sense8, or I don't know what!

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-10-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: