JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > JMSNews Information > Introductions

Old 02-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Confirmed User

B5, The Changeling, Sense8

I started off watching Babylon 5 in my transition from college to work life. It was the most amazing journey. I'm a bohemian refugee from the old days when television in the U.S.A. was unaware of plot lines with an "arc". For us, B5 was a revelation. The most British of American Sci-fi ever to hit the small screen.

I loved having a show to watch that had intelligent beings acting like they really do. Not always honest. Not always perfect. Not always likable, even. But always on some kind of a journey through life.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:35 PM
Lurker in Brown Sector

Hello old friend, and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:33 AM

Hi, Hypatia,

Glad you found your way here! I've asked DougO to upgrade your account.

Jan
Old 02-25-2017, 06:50 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
I loved having a show to watch that had intelligent beings acting like they really do. Not always honest. Not always perfect. Not always likable, even. But always on some kind of a journey through life.
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS HYPATIA ! ! !

Isn't it funny how so many shows now follow that pattern? I mean how many TV villains were written like Bester prior to Babylon 5 and how many TV villains are written like him now? In fairness I don't recall seeing any before him, but I was just starting College when he came onto the small screen so I might be making a poor comparison.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Confirmed User

Thanks for the welcome, old and new friends.

I have seen writing "like" B5 before B5. It is very British. They always liked the idea of a story that was limited in its scope. But in television in the U.S.A? What the heck was an "arc"?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
But in television in the U.S.A? What the heck was an "arc"?
That is no joke. And now it seems like every show has to have an arc and they succeed and fail based on that arc.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:12 AM

Just got an email from DougO that you're all set for posting, Hypatia! Enjoy the forums, glad you're here.

Jan
Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, old and new friends.

I have seen writing "like" B5 before B5. It is very British. They always liked the idea of a story that was limited in its scope. But in television in the U.S.A? What the heck was an "arc"?
To be sure, American TV Sci-Fi before and of this era didn't have much in the way story arcs. IMHO, when you binge-watch B5 as I have just done, you get a strong Soap Opera vibe (not all the cheesy parts), but major and minor story arcs, romance, bad guys who aren't what they seem, etc.

And if anyone wanted Sci-Fi story arcs that went on for years, we can look no further than anime from Japan - 150 episodes packed with cohesive story arcs from back in the 80's
Old 03-11-2017, 07:43 AM
Confirmed User

I have only seen a bit of Japanese film and television entertainment. Ghost in the Shell and the one with the walking house are the two I remember best.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Confirmed User

Just an odd little side note, I happened to watch Ghost In The Shell (1995) just the other night. I was surprisingly unimpressed. Loved how it looked, but I didn't really think much of the story. Maybe I missed something in all of those subtitles.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:56 PM
Confirmed User

I had not realised that Hypatia was not a member of this site. I am glad she is here now.

I hope the site is waking up.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Confirmed User

(Since this is the last Thread anyone posted a message in for this Forum I am going to post this here, though it has more to do with the Forum overall and not this Thread in particular.)

I wonder what the record is for spam threads posted in this Forum before Jan comes in and swats them? I think I saw seven late one night this week. I guess I can't blame her for taking some time to sleep and eat. It is really disgusting that people out there go through the trouble to even try to do that garbage anymore. What is worse is that they somehow make money from it. I know it is just programming and then letting it go, but someone had to do it initially and likely someone else paid them to do it.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Confirmed User

OMG WHAT DID I DO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I just came back to check and now it is up to 22; not that this is a reflection on Jan in any way, shape, or form. It is just a weird coincidence that this happened in the few hours since she was last here. I blame myself. . . . . .
Old 03-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
OMG WHAT DID I DO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I just came back to check and now it is up to 22; not that this is a reflection on Jan in any way, shape, or form. It is just a weird coincidence that this happened in the few hours since she was last here. I blame myself. . . . . .
Well, I did suggest Anti-Spam Options for vBulletin 3.8.x. Unless something like that is put in place, Jan will have to continue dealing with this crap.

Last edited by alpha128; 03-26-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 AM

The record? Literally hundreds, spread all over the forums until DougO created this system. Trust me, this is a breeze. This last batch probably was there a bit longer because I've gotten lazy and often just scan for the most recent 'real' person posting and this thread had come to the top.

I appreciate your concern but I'm not at all bothered by the few clicks it takes to get rid of them. Thanks, though.

Jan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: