JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 PM
WorkerCaste WorkerCaste is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
'Political Officer' anyone?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...src=nl_&wpmm=1

I know that many people may not be able to see the full article as the WP only allows 10 free per month so here are a couple of key paragraphs.
Oh, yeah, Jan. My exact thought when I read a synopsis earlier. It just so happened I had watched "Voices of Authority" last week.
__________________
"That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:10 AM
Melanie's Avatar
Melanie Melanie is offline
Narn with key
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Krakow, Poland
Posts: 391
We also had loyalty monitoring.

I believe it was called "Night watch".
__________________
"It means living each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Looney's Avatar
Looney Looney is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 1,347
So I was just reading some Babylon 5 related posts on Facebook. I won't say specifically where because I don't want it to seem like I am picking on someone nor do I want to directly point out their name. I don't want it to be a personal attack where I am singling them out. I am pointing more toward what they represent.

Anyway, there was a post that basically asked who does 'The Tyrant' better, President Clark or President Trump? So naturally there were responses comparing the the two and responses that where negative. I want to share one of the negative comments; at least I think the author meant for it to be negative. Pardon the language, but I want to give you the direct quote.

"President Clark and president Obama are butt buddy."

That is word for word and all of the exact grammar. And I am guessing English is this person's first language, but I can't guarantee it - pretty sure though.

Please feel free to comment on anything you find wrong in that one short little sentence.
__________________
Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 13,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
That is word for word and all of the exact grammar. And I am guessing English is this person's first language, but I can't guarantee it - pretty sure though.

Please feel free to comment on anything you find wrong in that one short little sentence.
Betting you were at the formerly big B5 page. Kaz' group? I don't go there anymore. I tried to hang on for way longer than I should have just because I like to know what fans are talking about and I like to interject facts in all the rumors and urban legends. But after Kaz himself posted something odious referring to Robin William's suicide within a day of the event, I couldn't stay and maintain any self-respect. And I notice that group has been shrinking steadily for quite some time.

As for the comment itself, it's beneath contempt of so many levels. No problem with you posting it, mind, it's just not worthy of any attention by anybody with any couth.
__________________
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Looney's Avatar
Looney Looney is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
it's just not worthy of any attention by anybody with any couth.
hahahahahaha! Ouch!
__________________
Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-24-2017, 04:13 AM
Melanie's Avatar
Melanie Melanie is offline
Narn with key
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Krakow, Poland
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Betting you were at the formerly big B5 page. Kaz' group? I don't go there anymore. I tried to hang on for way longer than I should have just because I like to know what fans are talking about and I like to interject facts in all the rumors and urban legends. But after Kaz himself posted something odious referring to Robin William's suicide within a day of the event, I couldn't stay and maintain any self-respect. And I notice that group has been shrinking steadily for quite some time.

As for the comment itself, it's beneath contempt of so many levels. No problem with you posting it, mind, it's just not worthy of any attention by anybody with any couth.
I was never a member of that group and I hadn't discovered Babylon 5 at that time and I don't have a clue what they were writing (nor do I want to know), but thank you for taking a stand and leaving at that point.
__________________
"It means living each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter."
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-30-2017, 08:52 AM
Looney's Avatar
Looney Looney is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 1,347
So I was up late last night. I was watching a news channel that, like many of these channels will be doing this weekend, was doing a wrap-up of all the big political news of 2017. My politics aside it should have been VERY troubling for anyone to watch. Needless to say it was not something one should watch before trying to go to sleep. When I could stand no more I decided it needed to watch an episode of B5 to get my mind off of it. So I opened up my tablet and hit the old Go90 app. The next episode up, 3.5 Voices of Authority.

I could NOT believe my luck. I was forced to try to forget what I had just seen by watching one of Babylon 5's most frightening villains, Julie Musante. I don't know if everyone finds Musante frightening, but I have always considered her to be even worse than Morden because she is making the choice to do what she is doing. Morden may have initially chosen to serve The Shadows, but I think it becomes clear he isn't entirely in control of what he does after making that choice. Musante clearly believes everything she says. She knows she is lying and she chooses to try to sell it as the truth to society. I could go on and on about this topic and the current state of affairs, but I hope no one needs to be reminded. The point of this is that Julie Musante did NOT send me to a land of pleasant dreams. I hope Shari Shattuck reads this with pride some day. I've seen a few things Mrs. Shattuck has done and this episode is far and away the most memorable thing I've seen her do.
__________________
Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-30-2017, 09:30 AM
babylonlurker's Avatar
babylonlurker babylonlurker is offline
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
I could NOT believe my luck. I was forced to try to forget what I had just seen by watching one of Babylon 5's most frightening villains, Julie Musante. I don't know if everyone finds Musante frightening, but I have always considered her to be even worse than Morden because she is making the choice to do what she is doing. Morden may have initially chosen to serve The Shadows, but I think it becomes clear he isn't entirely in control of what he does after making that choice. Musante clearly believes everything she says. She knows she is lying and she chooses to try to sell it as the truth to society. I could go on and on about this topic and the current state of affairs, but I hope no one needs to be reminded. The point of this is that Julie Musante did NOT send me to a land of pleasant dreams. I hope Shari Shattuck reads this with pride some day. I've seen a few things Mrs. Shattuck has done and this episode is far and away the most memorable thing I've seen her do.
Agreed, Musante is scary.
Someone once mentioned her role on one of the B5 groups on FB, and called her (Musante) a bitch (not the actress). Ms Shattuck popped up with a comment in the group, and showed her appreciation of the comments about Musante. So she knows the fans appreciate her role.
It is indeed very memorable.
__________________
Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 13,481
Another one who's every bit as bad as Musante but who doesn't get noticed as much (I think) is Welles from 'The Fall of Night' and 'Appearances and Other Deceits'. He even goes so far as to say "Trust me on this, Captain - if there's anyone who knows how to survive political changes, it's me." <shiver>

Next time, pull up 'A Late Deliver from Avalon', Looney. "No moral ambiguity, no hopeless battle against ancient and overwhelming forces ... they were the
bad guys, as you say, we were the good guys, and they made a very satisfying thump when they hit the floor."
__________________
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Looney's Avatar
Looney Looney is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlurker View Post
Agreed, Musante is scary.
Someone once mentioned her role on one of the B5 groups on FB, and called her (Musante) a bitch (not the actress). Ms Shattuck popped up with a comment in the group, and showed her appreciation of the comments about Musante. So she knows the fans appreciate her role.
It is indeed very memorable.
Oh that is great. I wish she would come here and read this discussion. She really is one of my top villains of B5, but I do agree Welles is almost right there with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Another one who's every bit as bad as Musante but who doesn't get noticed as much (I think) is Welles from 'The Fall of Night' and 'Appearances and Other Deceits'. He even goes so far as to say "Trust me on this, Captain - if there's anyone who knows how to survive political changes, it's me." <shiver>
Yes Welles is a nasty sort and brilliantly played by John Vickery. I think the reason Musante is even worse is because Welles seems like a weasel who blows in the direction that best suites his interests while Musante appears to have conviction for the message she is peddling. She seems to genuinely believe in the lies she is professing; she is even willing to use her body to bring allies to her cause. I think one of her most telling moments is when she tries to deny the Clark video. She seems genuinely disgusted with it as a lie where as I could see Welles reacting differently. He would likely say it is a lie, but in the back of his mind he would be plotting where to jump to next if the reaction to the video were to put his own self-interests in jeopardy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Next time, pull up 'A Late Deliver from Avalon', Looney. "No moral ambiguity, no hopeless battle against ancient and overwhelming forces ... they were the
bad guys, as you say, we were the good guys, and they made a very satisfying thump when they hit the floor."
Yes I believe that would be a much easier pill to swallow before heading to dreamland.
__________________
Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-31-2017, 09:33 AM
B5-Stefan B5-Stefan is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 167
Funny B5-ST Crossover

IMDb trivia from
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
3.5 Voices of Authority
Quote:
Ivanova's quip to Sheridan about going "where *every* man has gone before" while the Ministry of Peace political officer [Musante] was trying to seduce him, was a direct poke of fun at Star Trek's speech regarding "where no man has gone before" and also references Captain Kirk's tendency to bed women throughout the original Star Trek series.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to All of You
Stefan

--
Albert Einstein: "Imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited."
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 13,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by B5-Stefan View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR to All of You
Stefan
Happy New Year!
__________________
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Melanie's Avatar
Melanie Melanie is offline
Narn with key
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Krakow, Poland
Posts: 391
Happy New Year
__________________
"It means living each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter."
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-01-2018, 07:55 AM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 504
Happy New Year to all!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-01-2018, 10:07 AM
babylonlurker's Avatar
babylonlurker babylonlurker is offline
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,323
Happy New Year to all !
__________________
Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.