JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > General Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 2.78 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 PM

Haven't watched this yet but JMS just posted the link to this interview and recommended it for aspiring writers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ-S-vTBpP4

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 04-05-2016, 11:36 PM
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Haven't watched this yet but JMS just posted the link to this interview and recommended it for aspiring writers.

Jan

Ooh! I'm an aspiring writer. *clicks to watch*
Old 04-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:

Jan
Jan, thanks. I just finished watching this. It was fun to watch, although you and I have heard most of the stories before.

I'm passing this onto a colleague on IMDb, who is a professor of writing.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:57 AM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dassow View Post
Jan, thanks. I just finished watching this. It was fun to watch, although you and I have heard most of the stories before.

I'm passing this onto a colleague on IMDb, who is a professor of writing.
This is excellent an fun to watch.

I am trying to write down a quote from this, where JMS talks about the idea of Sense8, and I seem to miss a few words between 29:45 and 29:48 in the video :
I hear ".... that we have been marginalized, tribalized and factionalized ?????? of our lives ..."

I have been trying again and again to catch the words he uses, and failed until now. Can one of you native (American) English speakers help me ?

I think I hear the ???s as "through the (length ?) of our lives", but I am not sure. Is this correct, or what do you think it is ?

I think what JMS says in the longer quote, talking about Sense8 is worth stating in a broader context.

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 04-06-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlurker View Post
This is excellent an fun to watch.

I am trying to write down a quote from this, where JMS talks about the idea of Sense8, and I seem to miss a few words between 29:45 and 29:48 in the video :
I hear ".... that we have been marginalized, tribalized and factionalized ?????? of our lives ..."

I have been trying again and again to catch the words he uses, and failed until now. Can one of you native (American) English speakers help me ?

I think I hear the ???s as "through the (length ?) of our lives", but I am not sure. Is this correct, or what do you think it is ?

I think what JMS says in the longer quote, talking about Sense8 is worth stating in a broader context.
He's said this one many times. I'm not able to listen right now but my memory tells me that it's 'tribalized and factionalized to within an inch of our lives'.

I'll check to make sure when I get home tonight. The boy sure does talk fast, doesn't he?

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 04-06-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
He's said this one many times. I'm not able to listen right now but my memory tells me that it's 'tribalized and factionalized to within an inch of our lives'.

I'll check to make sure when I get home tonight. The boy sure does talk fast, doesn't he?

Jan
He does. But this is more that it is like a bit of mumbling in my ears. Just those few words. Thanks Jan.

My blog :

Old 04-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlurker View Post
He does. But this is more that it is like a bit of mumbling in my ears. Just those few words. Thanks Jan.
https://youtu.be/aZ-S-vTBpP4?t=29m44s
We’ve been marginalized and tribalized and factionalized to within an inch of our lives. If the country were divided geographically as is it is politically right now you would be hearing gun fire in the distance.

Last edited by Dan Dassow; 04-06-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: post munched
Old 04-06-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dassow View Post
https://youtu.be/aZ-S-vTBpP4?t=29m44s
We-ve been marginalized and tribalized and factionalized to within an inch of our lives. If the country were divided geographically as is it is politically right now you would be hearing gun fire in the distance.
Thanks Dan. I was not familiar with the expression, so I tried several options, but missed that one.

I was going for a quote a bit longer, but this was the one part I missed

My blog :

Old 04-07-2016, 06:12 AM

Okay, my turn. What the heck did he say in answer to the fan who asked about more B5? All I got was "Possibly" and the rest was unintelligible. I think it was something about not being able to talk about it yet maybe?

Thanks,

Jan
Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Confirmed User

so I just started watching this and had a wince inducing moment when the introduction person was going through some of his work "the long running series the amazing superman".. ouchy.
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 04-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Okay, my turn. What the heck did he say in answer to the fan who asked about more B5? All I got was "Possibly" and the rest was unintelligible. I think it was something about not being able to talk about it yet maybe?

Thanks,

Jan
He said, "Possible. We'll see about what happens down the road with that."

Great great interview! A writer myself, I always come away from his interviews having learned something new. I wish he would just go ahead and create JMS University for aspiring writers. I'd enroll in a heartbeat.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseW View Post
He said, "Possible. We'll see about what happens down the road with that."

Great great interview! A writer myself, I always come away from his interviews having learned something new. I wish he would just go ahead and create JMS University for aspiring writers. I'd enroll in a heartbeat.
Thanks. Figured it would be something like that.

Even though I'm not a writer, I enjoy listening to these a lot because it gives me insight into why I enjoy some things when I do and gives me an extra appreciation for the moments that he puts into things. It's also cool to see the attention that he's paying to the person asking the question.

ETA: Thinking about it, I'm glad that JMS only gave a short answer to the B5 question. It kept from de-railing the purpose of the talk which was writing and film making.

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 04-07-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
With luck next week those of you who have been following my work for a while will find one of your collections worth a bit more than before.
https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...26110602780672
Old 06-02-2016, 06:12 PM

JMS at his cryptic best!

Jan
Old 06-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthaz View Post
I was reading through the replies where people were guessing what JMS meant until I got to the one that said "Don't die?" which seemed to fit better then anyone would hope. JMS... that is NOT the way I want the value of my collection to go up.

Carl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: