JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > General Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 2.78 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Confirmed User

FINGER OF BLAME POINTING SQUARELY AT B5-STEFAN!!!!!

Sorry B5-Stefan I couldn't help myself. I recently stepped into one of these traps over on B5TV, though I was not intending to bring up the subject that ended up being the catalyst.

The B5 movie may be "neither here nor there" with regard to your debate, but I call for a Point of Order. I do feel it is important for all of us who cling to hope that no one but JMS knows if there is a script for the movie. I choose to believe that he at least has an idea and at most has a script, but doesn't want to announce it until more pieces are in place. I fully recognize Triple F's point, but it is not a provable fact that he has not written the script. All we know is that JMS has not announced the script is finished. That is not the same as it hasn't been written. I am a dreamer!

That is all I choose to add at this time. Keep it going. I am LOVING the drama.

Last edited by Looney; 07-13-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
As for what others are saying, who were involved in the more technical side, you apparently don’t view them as being credible. . . or at least not as credible as jms. Which goes back to you being jms’s biggest fan and the very first thing I said about how some view everything he says with more weight because he was the showrunner/writer or Great Maker. Which is a rather silly thing to do.
Would you please stop putting words in my mouth? I didn't say they weren't credible, did I? What I said (for the third time-can you give it up, please?) is "...I haven't seen any other statements from anybody who'd be sure to know better than he would." Take those words at face value. Do not re-interpret them. Face value. If Netter was alive maybe we could ask him. He ain't. He very well might know better because he was involved with money and studio liaison.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 07-13-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
The B5 movie may be "neither here nor there" with regard to your debate, but I call for a Point of Order. I do feel it is important for all of us who cling to hope that no one but JMS knows if there is a script for the movie. I choose to believe that he at least has an idea and at most has a script, but doesn't want to announce it until more pieces are in place. I fully recognize Triple F's point, but it is not a provable fact that he has not written the script. All we know is that JMS has not announced the script is finished. That is not the same as it hasn't been written. I am a dreamer!
We do know that he said in an interview in 2015 that he planned to finish the script.

Touching on why it hasn't happened, it goes back to the rights as well as the 'street cred' of his studio. He said at the time he announced it that he expected to have at least two TV series and a feature film made or being made. As we know, of those, only SENSE8 came to fruition so far. In addition, one major impediment to attracting investors for the film would seem to be the rights. While there's no dispute that he owns the feature film rights, it seems that investors want clear 'title' (not the right term, I'm sure) to all of the rights. At first I was afraid that would mean that the B5 feature film wouldn't be able to be shown on TV or have secondary sales but JMS sait that those would be okay. So my (avid fan of 20+ years of reading and listening carefully to JMS) non-professional opinion is that those two factors are the stumbling blocks. If at some point one of his projects becomes a blockbuster, then we'll see.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 07-14-2018, 09:02 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
We do know that he said in an interview in 2015 that he planned to finish the script.

Touching on why it hasn't happened, it goes back to the rights as well as the 'street cred' of his studio. He said at the time he announced it that he expected to have at least two TV series and a feature film made or being made. As we know, of those, only SENSE8 came to fruition so far. In addition, one major impediment to attracting investors for the film would seem to be the rights. While there's no dispute that he owns the feature film rights, it seems that investors want clear 'title' (not the right term, I'm sure) to all of the rights. At first I was afraid that would mean that the B5 feature film wouldn't be able to be shown on TV or have secondary sales but JMS sait that those would be okay. So my (avid fan of 20+ years of reading and listening carefully to JMS) non-professional opinion is that those two factors are the stumbling blocks. If at some point one of his projects becomes a blockbuster, then we'll see.
AH! Very excellent point that made me realize another probable aspect of this situation. Knowing that JMS knows the business pretty well he has to know that if he doesn't get WB on board with a reboot then announcing that he has the script for a reboot would put WB on the defensive. Timing is everything. If he has a finished script then putting that news out there prematurely would open him up to problems. And what I mean by that is problems that could spook potential investors. If WB doesn't want him making a B5 reboot Feature Film then they will start throwing their muscle around. If he doesn't already have committed partners by that point then he likely never will.

I'm not going to lie the downside of the information Jan just brought up is that it could be the nail in the coffin of a reboot. In this day and age it is all about controlling all the rights to a property. Corporate and individual investors aren't likely to invest in something that has expansion limitations and/or shared future gains. What I mean by that is say JMS actually pulls off this idea and it is a success. Well if that were to happen WB would want a piece and again would likely throw their muscle around to get in on a percentage of the profits for future projects. The only individual investors who wouldn't likely care too much about this aspect of it would be us, the fans. But JMS won't and shouldn't do that. So unfortunately it might be a case where JMS either has to convince WB to go in on the project or to sell all the rights to someone else, JMS or otherwise. Hopefully we might get some action from the AT&T merger. Maybe some hot shot at AT&T is a big B5 fan or maybe they'll say "Use the franchise or sell the rights because we like money." Doubtful, but those are a couple of best case scenarios at this juncture.

We just need to figure out a way to convince Amazon that millions of customers are streaming B5 all the time. Then they will get involved with helping WB makes some decisions. We know that WB is happy to sit and do nothing with Babylon 5 so we need another institution to put pressure on them. Too bad JMS isn't tight with some other studio who could be bugging them about it.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:16 PM
Confirmed User

I will just point out that the full screen versions on Vudu look pretty damn good. I play it on my 40 inch TV and the EFX are on par with the live action shots. It is a shame about six episodes look the same as the DVD but 95 percent of the rest of the series is pretty good. Not sure why amazon could not just use those copies at the very least.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:36 AM
Confirmed User

One and a half day out of office (due FIFA world cup amongst others).
Oops!

INDEED, THIS WAS FRIDAY THE 13TH.

--
Lyssa Deradi : "Did they live happily every after?"
[ItB]
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
I will just point out that the full screen versions on Vudu look pretty damn good. I play it on my 40 inch TV and the EFX are on par with the live action shots. It is a shame about six episodes look the same as the DVD but 95 percent of the rest of the series is pretty good. Not sure why amazon could not just use those copies at the very least.
I have been wondering the exact same thing JoeD80. I thought it looked really good on Go90, but that was a widescreen presentation so not the same as what Vudu has. I find it so odd that there are multiple sources for digital streaming. I can't say for sure, but I think Amazon might be showing the same source that WB used to stream when they had Season One available to stream on their site. If I remember correctly it looked equally bad to what Amazon has now. I should point out that I was watching Go90's stream on a very small screen, so maybe I just didn't notice. It sure seems like it looked really good on Go90 and it definitely sounded awesome.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Just a fan

I had sampled the Go90 version of Ep1 back then and it was nothing special. Below DVD quality.

Furthermore, I think all the digital versions - certainly the Go90 - but even the more exotic VUDU one I believe, have the live action and FX scenes run with the same framerate, which is not correct. Only the DVD plays correctly the live action at 23.976 and the FX at 30 (or 60i).

This frame disparity between pure live action and FX is also one of the reasons I don't get how would they even put the FX on film, as JMS thinks they did. How do you record 60i on film? Film is inherently a format which does not understand of lines and does not understand of interlacing.

Anyway.

In short:
Best picture quality disregarding FX scenes: DVD
Best FX quality: VUDU
Most fluent motion for both live action and FX: DVD

So the DVD in many ways it's still the best version.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:41 PM
Confirmed User

I like the live action on vudu better because it does not have random film scratches on it.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:11 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
I like the live action on vudu better because it does not have random film scratches on it.
I don't remember seeing scratches on Go90 either, but my memory is likely failing me. I'm sure if I went back through all my posts during the Go90 run I'd find one where I said I noticed scratches. LOL
Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Confirmed User

Even if I concede that JMS isn't a technics mastermind, I think in a such weighty statement he would thoroughly argue.

The conspiration variant would be: he unconditionally wants to push up the people to flashmob WB and Amazon for B5HD.

I tend to the first - but dreaming the flashmob.
Wouldn't be the worst.

To be serious:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
They're on TAPE. ..
Why not doing now what they didn't do then.
What would it cost to convert the taped VFX to digital HD with nowadays equipment?
I think: no immense cost per ep.
(I know the whole story: WB won't never ever do anything with B5...)

B5-Stefan

--
Delenn: "If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift,
politeness requires that we at least try and solve it.
"
[Babylon5, Atonement]
Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Hopefully we might get some action from the AT&T merger.
Very good point, Looney.
We'll keep track of the AT&T policy.

B5-Stefan

--
Max Eilerson: "Nations rise and fall. Planets live and die.
But corporations go on and on, through good times and bad,
because it's all about profit.
"
[Crusade: "Racing the Night"]
Old 07-17-2018, 05:17 PM

JMS has a wish for his birthday!

Quote:
J. Michael Straczynski - Hang with JMS
28 mins
Since today is my birthday, I get to make a wish, and this is what that wish would be: that you reading this would generously donate $10 (more is great but 10 totally works) to one of the two schools listed below that I once attended which do such good work for their students.

The first is the Chula Vista High School Foundation, which creates scholarships, provides endless assistance for students and their families, and has been crucial in helping students from low-income families go to college to follow their dreams: https://cvhsfoundation.com/ways-to-give/

The second is the Southwestern Junior College Food Pantry, which helps feed low-income students who have a hard time affording school and would otherwise go hungry. A noble cause by any definition. Thank you for helping either of these. http://www.swccd.edu/index.aspx?page=3653
Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Confirmed User

100 years B5 in intricate detail

Now THIS is in the right place (thread)

JMS re-tweet to Barnabus O. Scott:

"To be clear, by "all of it" I wasn't just referring to B4...I worked out 100 years either way of our story in intricate detail, 1,000 years in fairly decent detail, and a million years either way in broad strokes. Because that's just the kind of hairpin I am."

It's not really an all new finding.
But this would be far more as the published BABYLON 5 TIMELINE.
Think about:
100 years B5 universe history written notes in "intricate detail"!
And notes about another 1,000 years history "fairly decent detailed".

WOAH!
I can't imagine how many story plot equivalents this means.

B5-Stefan

--
Tirk: "Tirk. Drazi. I carry very large things. I... I... Tirk. Drazi."
[Babylon5, LotR]
Old 07-29-2018, 11:15 PM
Confirmed User

That helps explain why it became my favorite sci-fi show, I guess. Not just the characters or immediate plot lines, but the real sense of history it had.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: