JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-31-2018, 06:35 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
"The Long Night"

I began by reminding them that the Vorlons were headed to Centauri Prime, planning to destroy the entire planet to get at the Shadow vessels based there. And that the only way to get rid of those ships was to first get rid of the mad Emperor.

As we were getting started C said, "I hope that they're done torturing G'Kar" and I assured her that would be over after this episode.

When we got to the first throne room scene, T noted the presence of a court jester. Later, when Cartagia kicked the jester's cap into his hand and said "Humor is such a subjective thing" I said, "So much for the jester." C quickly asked, "He killed him?" I replied, "Yes, if watch carefully you can see the jester's body being dragged across the floor."

When Londo started unwrapping the package Vir brought to him, T asked what was in it. I said, "Watch, they'll explain it." T chuckled at Vir's "Kill Londo" scenario, and again remarked how different Vir looked after Stephen Furst lost weight between seasons. I see that, according to Wikipedia, Furst reduced his weight from 260 lbs to 175 lbs.

When Cartagia noted that he had G'Kar's chains replaced because they looked weak T said, "Uh oh." After the episode was over, they asked how G'Kar was able to break free of his chains, and I quoted JMS' comment, "That was one determined Narn" and added that G'Kar didn't need Londo's help.

T got a chuckle out of Vir's drunken word fumbling after the assassination. C wondered if G'Kar shuffling away from the trashed throne room meant he was off the series and I said, "No, he'll end up back on the station soon enough."


"Into the Fire"

I introduced this one by reminding them that Londo still needed to get rid of the Shadow vessels based on Centauri Prime, and that Sheridan's fleet was about to go into the largest engagement of the war.

There wasn't a lot of commentary from C & T, but they were engaged throughout.

As usual T enjoyed the humor, e.g., Delenn's reaction to Sheridan telling Ivanova to "haul ass", Ivanova accidentally ordering the Minbari to fire by saying "Aw Hell" and later telling Marcus "Don't jinx it".

C was confused by mental projections of the Vorlons and especially the Shadows. I explained that the "people" Delenn was interacting with were representations of the Shadows.

When Lennier warned that a missile was heading straight for them, T said, "Uh oh." At the end, T asked if all the First Ones were gone and I said yes, which was then reiterated by the conversation between Sheridan and Delenn.

I remembered wondering, when this episode first aired, what story B5 had left to tell. So I showed C & T, for the first time, the episode promo for next week. That particular promo answers the question by saying, "The Shadow War may be over, but the battle for Earth has just begun."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-01-2018, 06:41 AM
Looney's Avatar
Looney Looney is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
"The Long Night"

I began by reminding them that the Vorlons were headed to Centauri Prime, planning to destroy the entire planet to get at the Shadow vessels based there. And that the only way to get rid of those ships was to first get rid of the mad Emperor.

As we were getting started C said, "I hope that they're done torturing G'Kar" and I assured her that would be over after this episode.

When we got to the first throne room scene, T noted the presence of a court jester. Later, when Cartagia kicked the jester's cap into his hand and said "Humor is such a subjective thing" I said, "So much for the jester." C quickly asked, "He killed him?" I replied, "Yes, if watch carefully you can see the jester's body being dragged across the floor."

When Londo started unwrapping the package Vir brought to him, T asked what was in it. I said, "Watch, they'll explain it." T chuckled at Vir's "Kill Londo" scenario, and again remarked how different Vir looked after Stephen Furst lost weight between seasons. I see that, according to Wikipedia, Furst reduced his weight from 260 lbs to 175 lbs.

When Cartagia noted that he had G'Kar's chains replaced because they looked weak T said, "Uh oh." After the episode was over, they asked how G'Kar was able to break free of his chains, and I quoted JMS' comment, "That was one determined Narn" and added that G'Kar didn't need Londo's help.

T got a chuckle out of Vir's drunken word fumbling after the assassination. C wondered if G'Kar shuffling away from the trashed throne room meant he was off the series and I said, "No, he'll end up back on the station soon enough."


"Into the Fire"

I introduced this one by reminding them that Londo still needed to get rid of the Shadow vessels based on Centauri Prime, and that Sheridan's fleet was about to go into the largest engagement of the war.

There wasn't a lot of commentary from C & T, but they were engaged throughout.

As usual T enjoyed the humor, e.g., Delenn's reaction to Sheridan telling Ivanova to "haul ass", Ivanova accidentally ordering the Minbari to fire by saying "Aw Hell" and later telling Marcus "Don't jinx it".

C was confused by mental projections of the Vorlons and especially the Shadows. I explained that the "people" Delenn was interacting with were representations of the Shadows.

When Lennier warned that a missile was heading straight for them, T said, "Uh oh." At the end, T asked if all the First Ones were gone and I said yes, which was then reiterated by the conversation between Sheridan and Delenn.

I remembered wondering, when this episode first aired, what story B5 had left to tell. So I showed C & T, for the first time, the episode promo for next week. That particular promo answers the question by saying, "The Shadow War may be over, but the battle for Earth has just begun."
WOW! The most remarkable thing is that you have so little to report on these two monster episodes. Of course that is actually a good thing because it shows how engaged C&T were. I think the thing I am most surprised by is that you didn't report any reaction to the assassination. The fact that they didn't have any notable comments about how that went down surprises me. I guess my second surprise would be the same lack of extensive commentary from C&T about how the war ended, but maybe they were just processing.
__________________
Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-01-2018, 05:13 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
WOW! The most remarkable thing is that you have so little to report on these two monster episodes. Of course that is actually a good thing because it shows how engaged C&T were. I think the thing I am most surprised by is that you didn't report any reaction to the assassination. The fact that they didn't have any notable comments about how that went down surprises me. I guess my second surprise would be the same lack of extensive commentary from C&T about how the war ended, but maybe they were just processing.
Yes, there is a lot going on in these episodes and I think they were both just trying to keep up with the plot. As with other plot-heavy episodes, C & T didn't say much other than a few quick comments.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-02-2018, 01:21 AM
Ubik's Avatar
Ubik Ubik is offline
Vorlon Visitor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: York, UK
Posts: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
Yes, there is a lot going on in these episodes and I think they were both just trying to keep up with the plot. As with other plot-heavy episodes, C & T didn't say much other than a few quick comments.
I am kind of loving the shift in perception of G'Kar from 'freaky looking Alien' to a character they are invested in and care about.
__________________
Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-02-2018, 05:36 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
I am kind of loving the shift in perception of G'Kar from 'freaky looking Alien' to a character they are invested in and care about.
I don't think C will ever enjoy the show as much as T does, as she says she's just not "wired" for fantasy. But the current situation is a big improvement from the early days.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:56 AM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
"Epiphanies"

I began by repeating the line from the episode promo, "The Shadow War may be over, but the battle for Earth has just begun."

At the start C remarked that Walter Koenig looked ill, and T said, "Uh oh" when Bester's boss said they were going to "Shut down Babylon 5 - permanently."

When we got to Centauri Prime, C asked if Londo was now the emperor and I said, "No, he's the prime minister". She then asked, "Who is the emperor?" and I replied, "No one."

While Garibaldi was shaving, T noted that he was using an ancient (by 23rd Century standards) straight razor. I commented about something I had never noticed before, that Garibaldi had a Daffy Duck liquid soap dispenser.

When Garibaldi resigned his position, C asked if that meant he was off the series. I replied, "He left his job, not the series."

T enjoyed the humor in the docking bay scene - first when Bester asked if his usual quarters in the brig were available, and then when the Elvis impersonators showed up.

When G'Kar told Londo "Pray that we never notice one another again", C asked why G'Kar was being so mean to Londo, given that Londo had worked to save G'Kar's life. I offered up "He's been through a lot" as an explanation.

T said "Wow!" when Z'ha'dum exploded. Later, when the Keeper showed up on the Regent's neck, C asked what that was. I told them it was an alien parasite that can control your mind. I reminded them that future Londo had one and had learned if he drank a lot he could put it to sleep.


"The Illusion of Truth"

Not wanting to spoil anything, I started by reminding C & T that Garibaldi had resigned his position, and that Bester's lover was being kept in cryogenic freeze on the station.

T got a chuckle from Zack smiling for the camera and from Sheridan clarifying Ivanova's comments. When Randall said there was no such thing as an objective journalist, T quipped "Fake news".

C asked about the tension between Garibaldi and Sheridan early on, and I said, "They're not getting along right now."

T noted that Franklin's conversation about the cryo units had been caught on camera.

During the "This Year in History" segment it was stated that the first lunar base was built in 2018. I joked that they were just about to start construction.

After the commercial break, when it was clear that Randall had been lying through his teeth, C quipped, "Fake news! Fake news! Trump is right!"

When we got to Garibaldi's interview, C was surprised, asking "Did he really say that?" I replied that I thought he had. C then asked, "Why would he do that?" I said that it had something to do with the flashback where Garibaldi was being told repeatedly, "You work for no one but us." C then asked, "Did they plant something in his mind?" I replied, "Maybe."

After the credits rolled, I said, "This episode may be more relevant today than when it was made." T said, "Maybe so." And C mentioned recent violence against journalists.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 AM
Looney's Avatar
Looney Looney is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
"Epiphanies"

I began by repeating the line from the episode promo, "The Shadow War may be over, but the battle for Earth has just begun."

At the start C remarked that Walter Koenig looked ill, and T said, "Uh oh" when Bester's boss said they were going to "Shut down Babylon 5 - permanently."

When we got to Centauri Prime, C asked if Londo was now the emperor and I said, "No, he's the prime minister". She then asked, "Who is the emperor?" and I replied, "No one."

While Garibaldi was shaving, T noted that he was using an ancient (by 23rd Century standards) straight razor. I commented about something I had never noticed before, that Garibaldi had a Daffy Duck liquid soap dispenser.

When Garibaldi resigned his position, C asked if that meant he was off the series. I replied, "He left his job, not the series."

T enjoyed the humor in the docking bay scene - first when Bester asked if his usual quarters in the brig were available, and then when the Elvis impersonators showed up.

When G'Kar told Londo "Pray that we never notice one another again", C asked why G'Kar was being so mean to Londo, given that Londo had worked to save G'Kar's life. I offered up "He's been through a lot" as an explanation.

T said "Wow!" when Z'ha'dum exploded. Later, when the Keeper showed up on the Regent's neck, C asked what that was. I told them it was an alien parasite that can control your mind. I reminded them that future Londo had one and had learned if he drank a lot he could put it to sleep.
I like the C noticed Garibaldi's resignation might mean he was leaving the show. It demonstrates that C has emotional attachment to characters staying or leaving.

Wow! I've got to be honest I am a little surprised by C's G'Kar comments. Does C not remember the entire series after Londo met Morden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
"Epiphanies"
"The Illusion of Truth"

Not wanting to spoil anything, I started by reminding C & T that Garibaldi had resigned his position, and that Bester's lover was being kept in cryogenic freeze on the station.

T got a chuckle from Zack smiling for the camera and from Sheridan clarifying Ivanova's comments. When Randall said there was no such thing as an objective journalist, T quipped "Fake news".

C asked about the tension between Garibaldi and Sheridan early on, and I said, "They're not getting along right now."

T noted that Franklin's conversation about the cryo units had been caught on camera.

During the "This Year in History" segment it was stated that the first lunar base was built in 2018. I joked that they were just about to start construction.

After the commercial break, when it was clear that Randall had been lying through his teeth, C quipped, "Fake news! Fake news! Trump is right!"

When we got to Garibaldi's interview, C was surprised, asking "Did he really say that?" I replied that I thought he had. C then asked, "Why would he do that?" I said that it had something to do with the flashback where Garibaldi was being told repeatedly, "You work for no one but us." C then asked, "Did they plant something in his mind?" I replied, "Maybe."

After the credits rolled, I said, "This episode may be more relevant today than when it was made." T said, "Maybe so." And C mentioned recent violence against journalists.
I love this episode. It is so frightening and such a GREAT follow up to AND NOW FOR A WORD, 2.15. Did you remind them of that that episode or was that one you skipped, I can't remember? It definitely seems like C&T enjoyed THE ILLUSION OF TRUTH so I hope you did watch AND NOW FOR A WORD.
__________________
Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
I've got to be honest I am a little surprised by C's G'Kar comments. Does C not remember the entire series after Londo met Morden?
Yes, but recent events revolved around Londo saving G'Kar's life and freeing Narn. I've always thought that G'Kar's reaction to Londo in the central corridor was unnecessarily harsh. It's one thing to say, "We helped each other when we needed to, now we go our separate ways." It's another to say, "You no longer exist in my universe."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
I love this episode. It is so frightening and such a GREAT follow up to AND NOW FOR A WORD, 2.15. Did you remind them of that that episode or was that one you skipped, I can't remember? It definitely seems like C&T enjoyed THE ILLUSION OF TRUTH so I hope you did watch AND NOW FOR A WORD.
Yes, I did show C & T "And Now For a Word" and you can re-read their comments on it here. We only skipped one episode from Season 2 ("A Spider in the Web") and two from Season 3 ("Exogenesis" and "Grey 17 is Missing").

I did not mention "And Now For a Word" in my opening remarks because I didn't want to spoil the twist of this news crew's deceit.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Looney's Avatar
Looney Looney is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
Yes, but recent events revolved around Londo saving G'Kar's life and freeing Narn. I've always thought that G'Kar's reaction to Londo in the central corridor was unnecessarily harsh. It's one thing to say, "We helped each other when we needed to, now we go our separate ways." It's another to say, "You no longer exist in my universe."
I am definitely one who would have loved to see the relationship G'Kar and Londo had toward the end of Season 4 continue, but at the point where EPIPHANIES takes place I can completely understand G'Kar's reaction. We're talking about someone who was born into Centauri occupation. Who fought and watched many he knew and loved die expelling the Centauri from Narn. Who clawed his way up to a position where he ended up having to deal with the Centauri. Who had to endure another war and another subsequent occupation by the Centauri. Who had to surrender to the Centauri and allow himself to be tortured by the Centauri to ensure the release of his people from the Centauri's grasp as well as secure his own freedom. I can understand that while G'Kar might feel some FRACTION of gratitude toward Londo it does not outweigh the TONS of hate and resentment. Don't forget, G'Kar knows the role Londo played, so that adds to the situation. The fact that G'Kar says Londo no longer exists in his universe is actually a sign that G'Kar feels some measure of gratitude. That statement means G'Kar has no more concern for Londo, good or bad. Given their history Londo should be grateful because it means G'Kar won't be paying attention to him in any way shape or form, ie trying to see that he is exposed for everything he has done or even kill him in retribution for what the Centauri did while often envoking Londo's name. So while I would have loved for them to be instantly on the road to mending fences, I totally believe G'Kar's statement is perfect for the given situation.
__________________
Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-17-2018, 03:39 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
The fact that G'Kar says Londo no longer exists in his universe is actually a sign that G'Kar feels some measure of gratitude. That statement means G'Kar has no more concern for Londo, good or bad. Given their history Londo should be grateful because it means G'Kar won't be paying attention to him in any way shape or form, ie trying to see that he is exposed for everything he has done or even kill him in retribution for what the Centauri did while often envoking Londo's name. So while I would have loved for them to be instantly on the road to mending fences, I totally believe G'Kar's statement is perfect for the given situation.
I don't know about that. Because G'Kar first said "You no longer exist in my universe", followed by "Pray that we never notice one another again". The latter sounds to me like a threat of physical violence. Combine the two and, as I said, it comes across as unnecessarily harsh.

But I love how this ultimately plays out in "No Surrender, No Retreat". We go from Londo saying, "You are not going to give me even an inch, are you?" to G'Kar declaring "Issue the joint statement. I will sign my name... but not on the same page."
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-27-2018, 09:21 AM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
"Atonement"

I introduced this one by referring back to the conversation in "And the Sky Full of Stars" where Dr. Franklin asked Delenn what she did during the war, and she responded it was "a topic for another time." I told C & T that another time was now.

T enjoyed the humor in the beginning when Zack was being fitted for his new uniform and G'Kar's hijinks with his new prosthetic eye.

I had to explain the Dreaming to C & T by saying, "They drink a potion that enables one person to vividly recall past events and enables another person to witness those events." I said they didn't really explain it in the episode and T said, "I don't know how they could."

C was confused by the abruptness of the attack, asking what happened. I said that the humans had attacked the Minbari and they would find out the details next time. When T learned that Delenn had given the order that started the Earth/Minbari war he said, "She seemed so peaceful."

When Marcus started to sing, T expressed surprise that Gilbert and Sullivan would still be known so far into the future. After the episode ended, he said it was a shame that the humans and aliens couldn't get along.


"Babylon 5: In the Beginning"

As you can see, I went ahead with my original plan as posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
I do plan to show them "In the Beginning" later on. Specifically, I plan to show it to C&T after "Atonement". I want to test the hypothesis that "Endgame" will be even more effective if they first see General Robert Lefcourt in "In the Beginning".
And really the only part of the movie which could be considered a spoiler at this point is at the very end when Londo says that Sheridan became president of a great Alliance, Delenn ever at his side. But since it was a quick comment and the nature of the great Alliance is left vague, I didn't think this was too much of a spoiler.

Before we started, I reminded them that we learned in the last episode that Delenn was largely responsible for starting the Earth/Minbari War. I explained that this movie told the rest of that story. C asked if this was a theatrically released movie, or a made for TV movie, and I answered the latter.

I also told them that this movie used a framing device where the story was narrated by future Londo. This created some confusion when Delenn showed up early on in her young Season 4 appearance.

Overall there was not a lot of commentary from C & T, but they both stayed engaged despite the extended run time.

As usual T enjoyed the humor, chuckling when the Lyssa punched Luc in the shoulder to make sure he articulated her desire for a true story.

C recognized the actor who played the presidential aide, and it bugged her that she couldn't place him. A bit later, C expressed sympathy for Mira Furlan having to go back to her full Minbari makeup.

During the Minbari trap for the Lexington, I pointed out to C & T that "Eagle 7" was Ivanova's brother, since I thought the space helmet and red lighting might make him hard to recognize.

As the Lexington was luring the Black Star toward the planted nukes, T said it was remarkable that the Lexington was able to navigate the asteroid field, without colliding with all the asteroids. I replied that some smaller asteroids were bouncing off the hull.

During the secret meeting in neutral territory, T said "Wow!" when the Centauri warship flew through the jump gate and destroyed the Narn heavy cruiser. When C learned of Londo's role in prolonging the war she quipped, "The purpose of this movie is to make everybody guilty for this war."

Later, when Sheridan had been captured by the Minbari and cried out "Insil'zha", C asked what I that meant. I explained it was the Minbari word for "the future" which was then reiterated by G'Kar.

During the Earth Alliance President's voice-over T did not realize that the voice belonged to a woman, and so he mentioned that the President was a woman when she was shown.

They did not recognize Sinclair at first, possibly because his space helmet somewhat masked his appearance. Once he was taken aboard the Minbari ship, C recognized him and asked how Sinclair could be in this since Michael O'Hare was still battling mental illness around this time. I explained that no new footage of Sinclair was shot for this movie, and that his appearance is all stock footage from Season 1.

Near the end, when the Earth Alliance President announced that the Babylon Station would bring peace, C quipped, "Yeah, right. There's been a war on for all four years!"

The final comment was by T who said, "That was epic!"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 13,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
The final comment was by T who said, "That was epic!"
While I always recommend that people start from "The Gathering" and go on, I've always said that if they're struggling, show them "In The Beginning" so they can see how great it gets.

Thanks for sharing!
__________________
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-27-2018, 04:36 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
While I always recommend that people start from "The Gathering" and go on, I've always said that if they're struggling, show them "In The Beginning" so they can see how great it gets.
I own the flipper disc edition with "The Gathering" (special edition) on one side and "In The Beginning" on the other side. So I could have shown them "The Gathering" before Season 1, but I felt the cast changes and makeup changes for Delenn and G'Kar would confuse them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for reading and posting!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-28-2018, 05:45 AM
Looney's Avatar
Looney Looney is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
"Atonement"

I introduced this one by referring back to the conversation in "And the Sky Full of Stars" where Dr. Franklin asked Delenn what she did during the war, and she responded it was "a topic for another time." I told C & T that another time was now.

T enjoyed the humor in the beginning when Zack was being fitted for his new uniform and G'Kar's hijinks with his new prosthetic eye.

I had to explain the Dreaming to C & T by saying, "They drink a potion that enables one person to vividly recall past events and enables another person to witness those events." I said they didn't really explain it in the episode and T said, "I don't know how they could."

C was confused by the abruptness of the attack, asking what happened. I said that the humans had attacked the Minbari and they would find out the details next time. When T learned that Delenn had given the order that started the Earth/Minbari war he said, "She seemed so peaceful."

When Marcus started to sing, T expressed surprise that Gilbert and Sullivan would still be known so far into the future. After the episode ended, he said it was a shame that the humans and aliens couldn't get along.
I look at "The Dreaming" as being similar to what happens with Dust in DUST TO DUST 3.6.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post

"Babylon 5: In the Beginning"

As you can see, I went ahead with my original plan as posted earlier:



And really the only part of the movie which could be considered a spoiler at this point is at the very end when Londo says that Sheridan became president of a great Alliance, Delenn ever at his side. But since it was a quick comment and the nature of the great Alliance is left vague, I didn't think this was too much of a spoiler.

Before we started, I reminded them that we learned in the last episode that Delenn was largely responsible for starting the Earth/Minbari War. I explained that this movie told the rest of that story. C asked if this was a theatrically released movie, or a made for TV movie, and I answered the latter.

I also told them that this movie used a framing device where the story was narrated by future Londo. This created some confusion when Delenn showed up early on in her young Season 4 appearance.

Overall there was not a lot of commentary from C & T, but they both stayed engaged despite the extended run time.

As usual T enjoyed the humor, chuckling when the Lyssa punched Luc in the shoulder to make sure he articulated her desire for a true story.

C recognized the actor who played the presidential aide, and it bugged her that she couldn't place him. A bit later, C expressed sympathy for Mira Furlan having to go back to her full Minbari makeup.

During the Minbari trap for the Lexington, I pointed out to C & T that "Eagle 7" was Ivanova's brother, since I thought the space helmet and red lighting might make him hard to recognize.

As the Lexington was luring the Black Star toward the planted nukes, T said it was remarkable that the Lexington was able to navigate the asteroid field, without colliding with all the asteroids. I replied that some smaller asteroids were bouncing off the hull.

During the secret meeting in neutral territory, T said "Wow!" when the Centauri warship flew through the jump gate and destroyed the Narn heavy cruiser. When C learned of Londo's role in prolonging the war she quipped, "The purpose of this movie is to make everybody guilty for this war."

Later, when Sheridan had been captured by the Minbari and cried out "Insil'zha", C asked what I that meant. I explained it was the Minbari word for "the future" which was then reiterated by G'Kar.

During the Earth Alliance President's voice-over T did not realize that the voice belonged to a woman, and so he mentioned that the President was a woman when she was shown.

They did not recognize Sinclair at first, possibly because his space helmet somewhat masked his appearance. Once he was taken aboard the Minbari ship, C recognized him and asked how Sinclair could be in this since Michael O'Hare was still battling mental illness around this time. I explained that no new footage of Sinclair was shot for this movie, and that his appearance is all stock footage from Season 1.

Near the end, when the Earth Alliance President announced that the Babylon Station would bring peace, C quipped, "Yeah, right. There's been a war on for all four years!"

The final comment was by T who said, "That was epic!"
It will be interesting to see how this experiment effects their future viewing. I always think IN THE BEGINNING (1998) should be shown where it takes place in time, but of course that is not how it aired. The only thing I don't like about the spoiler aspect of it is that it cements Londo's end. If you wait and watch it just before SLEEPING IN LIGHT 5.22 then you can hold out hope that he will redeem himself and face a different fate. I'm not saying there isn't a form of redemption. I'm saying there could have been hope that he would find redemption and face a more peaceful end. Showing it this early means they will likely think this is where Londo is headed for the remainder of the series. I know when I originally saw it I felt off about Londo the rest of the way because I knew where Londo was going.

It is also the best movie so I'd prefer to show it toward the very end. Having said this I can definitely see the reason to show it to C&T early. I might argue that it would have been better to show it to them at some point during Season 5 just because they might find some faults in Season 5 and this would rehook them. LOL
__________________
Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-28-2018, 11:18 AM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
It will be interesting to see how this experiment effects their future viewing... Showing it this early means they will likely think this is where Londo is headed for the remainder of the series. I know when I originally saw it I felt off about Londo the rest of the way because I knew where Londo was going.
I showed ItB thirteen episodes early, compared to where it originally aired. But in a way, I showed ItB where it was originally intended to air.

Quote:
One sub-thread I'd been planning on was a 3-episode arc that would look at how the Earth/Minbari War started, and Delenn's situation at the start of the war, joining the Council, that sort of thing. Now I was able to split that out. So in the series I can, in an episode, get into Delenn's role in the war and go into the background of how she got to know Dukhat, how she got into the Grey Council, and so on...all the stuff you'd need to see prior to the war. Then the two hours covering the rest, the progress of the war itself, could be covered in the two-hour movie.

With the *benefit* that we'd have a little more money for the movie than we would for two conventional hours, so we could do *more* in the way of EFX, production value, and so on, which you're going to need to really sell the E/M war. So strangely enough, and as tends to happen, this has put us in the position of doing it *better* than if I'd dropped it into two standard-budget episodes, as was my original plan. - JMS

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-10250
It seemed to work out, as they had questions about what happened in "Atonement" that were answered by "In the Beginning".

I'm also hoping that introducing General Lefcourt as David Sheridan's friend and John Sheridan's mentor in ItB, will pay off when the junior Sheridan and Lefcourt end up on opposing sides in "Endgame".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
It is also the best movie so I'd prefer to show it toward the very end. Having said this I can definitely see the reason to show it to C&T early. I might argue that it would have been better to show it to them at some point during Season 5 just because they might find some faults in Season 5 and this would rehook them. LOL
My plan to maintain address the flaws in Season 5 is the admittedly controversial choice to go with "Watching B5 with C&T - S5 (condensed)". I discussed this earlier, but Bill Mumy comments in "An oral history of Babylon 5" reinforced my opinion.

Quote:
"The fifth season was just this kind of extra, like on how a DVD you get extra bonus bits. Somebody will release an album that's 50-years-old and all of a sudden, they'll add six songs to it that never came out on the album because for one reason or another they either weren't good enough or just didn't get finished or somebody said no. To me, that's what it's like."

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/an-ora...ay-to-tell-sci
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.