JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Confirmed User

Babylon 5 returns to UK TV

I don't know if this has been reported on this thread or not but I found the following on another forum minutes ago

Quote:
UKTV Watch Channel has acquired all five seasons (110 episodes) and six Babylon 5 TV movies. Slated to air on weekdays around 5pm time-slot, from Monday November 4th.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Has been talk of the town! None the less, doesn't hurt to mention it again!

Kosh: Good!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Confirmed User

At various places online, people have taken issue with some of the letters we've been writing. I can't speak for for everyone, but certainly the letters I wrote were primarily intended for British TV Execs, and I only put one such letter online after fellow B-Fivers asked to see one. But I didn't write it for them, although I do hope it inspired some of them to write.

As I said, the intended recipients for my letters were TV Execs in the UK. If a particular actor, director, location etc. etc. is well known in your country, that doesn't mean that he / she / it is well known in Great Britain or any other country for that matter, so I had to tailor what I wanted to say accordingly. A big star in The States can be a virtual unknown overseas, and this has to be taken into consideration, and such things explained to those who've simply never heard of the stars that we fans take for granted.

Anyway, I'm posting this message on sites where people will see it, and I hope that it will settle any fears that anyone might have.

As I've said on any number of websites, we B-Fivers have got to stick together, not fight amongst ourselves. What are we; Drazi?!?!? Just kidding! But certainly we shouldn't be our own worst enemies.

You've seen the power of the fans in the UK. If somebody doesn't like someone's letter, they should write their own! You've seen what good can come of letters! Get writing, and let's see if we can get Babylon 5 back onscreen worldwide!

Last edited by Sinclair's Fan; 11-11-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:58 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan View Post
At various places online, people have taken issue with some of the letters we've been writing.
Really? That just seems overly negative to me. I haven't seen any negative feedback, but I only really frequent JMSNews and Facebook. Any letters I've posted have been meant as a template for others.

I must admit that I haven't seen an awful lot of enthusiasm around the notion of letter writing, but it still seems like a good way to draw attention to our cause. B5 won't magically re-appear on TV all by itself. Perhaps the online buzz by itself will be enough, but we do need to get networks to pay attention to what we are doing in the first place.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 AM
Confirmed User

Cheers, Ubik. I feel a lot better about things this morning..., maybe I just needed a kip!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan View Post
Cheers, Ubik. I feel a lot better about things this morning..., maybe I just needed a kip!

Don't let the Nay-sayers get you down. The fact that WE are active in terms of #FreeBabylon5 will always be a positive thing.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:34 PM

(also posted to Facebook and Google+)

The time has come...We've had time to bask in the victory of WATCH TV showing B5 in reruns. Our website is up and beautiful. Soon we'll be in the midst of the Thunderclap campaign. But now...it's time for fundraising. Despite all of the fabulous volunteer labor (Take a bow, Ranger Ben Read), raising awareness of B5 and getting it in front of people has and will take money. So please, click on the 'Donate' button on the FreeBabylon5.com website if you can. And thank you if you already have! Thanks All!!
---------------

In answer to a very legitimate question from a fan, here's what the fundraising is all about:

Good question. Nope, not tax deductible. This is 100% fan effort.

So far I've paid for the domain registration and a couple of web add-ons, 2,000 buttons and 2,000 pocket calendars out of my own pocket as well as some other items to make available as hand-outs at conventions.

I've had a few other items made up with an eye toward selling them at #FreeBabylon5 table at the Space City con. It's hard finding places that make interesting things in small lots so that's kind of an experiment but I'm planning on having some lanyards, keyrings and badge ribbons available there in addition to the give-away business card sized calendars and buttons.

The main expense now and ongoing is buttons. Ideally, I'd like to be able to send them to any con where they have a freebie table or where there might be a fan willing to hand them out a la New York Comic-Con.
Space City Con donated a table to #FreeBabylon5 but if there are other major cons where there's a large B5 presence (or possibly just major cons for the sake of exposure), those tables start at about $300 and go way up from there.

There may also be some press releases in the future as well as a possible newsletter. Getting widespread coverage or a reputable newsletter service costs money but I haven't really started looking into that yet.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
--------------

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 11-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Vorlon Visitor

The new site looks great, and it seems we now have the perfect infrastructure in place to really run a good campaign. Well done to all involved!

The con appearances and buttons / merch are all useful as they raise visability of the cause. However, I remain sceptical that they'll have much impact on a network / TV exec who might potentially be interested in the show. Will this kind of thing reach them / impact their decision making process? I'm not criticising here, just trying to get a sense of how we move forward and affect real change when it comes to B5 being back on TV.

What I wanted to ask is; Are there any plans to target specific TV Networks and how should we go about this?

I've tried to get folks moving with regards Netflix, but very few fans seem to be intersted in taking action by writing letters. Reception on social media platforms (Facebook, etc) has been luke warm at best when I've raised it, with responses typically ranging from apathy to outright critism. It's a bit disheartening.

Perhaps the 'critical mass' of the thing will be enough to influence Netflix and TV channels. I definitely hope so.

Anyhow, keep up the good work and I'll support in any way I can. Jan, and fellow Rangers... you're doing an awesome job!

Last edited by Ubik; 11-15-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 AM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post

The con appearances and buttons / merch are all useful as they raise visability of the cause. However, I remain sceptical that they'll have much impact on a network / TV exec who might potentially be interested in the show. Will this kind of thing reach them / impact their decision making process? I'm not criticising here, just trying to get a sense of how we move forward and affect real change when it comes to B5 being back on TV.

Netflix

Anyhow, keep up the good work and I'll support in any way I can. Jan, and fellow Rangers... you're doing an awesome job!
It is also a matter of raising awareness among scifi (in particular B5) fandom for the campaign, as much as getting the attention of TV/network execs.

Re.: Netflix. Since I now have Netflix where I live, I am ready to go for a letter/mail.

Jan : As we have talked about, I will be at a few conventions in Europe next year, and will happily be handing out buttons to fans there.

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 11-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks Jan. I'm waiting on delivery of the buttons you helped out with. If you could give some thought to how many you're likely to want to have on hand, I'd like to send them all at once to save on postage.

Ubik, I can't see that concentrating on the major networks will necessarily help us at all since there's no way they'll re-run B5 in prime time. During off hours, the local affiliates generally run teir own programming whether it's reruns or talk shows or whatever. That's why I've mainly suggested contactin local channels.

As for negativity...I do my best to ignore it but yeah, sometimes the urge to rant at people finding 'reasons' to NOT do anything really gets to me. I have to remember that there are probably a bunch of people who are writing and have written letters or sent emails without posting about it.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 11-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Thanks Jan. I'm waiting on delivery of the buttons you helped out with. If you could give some thought to how many you're likely to want to have on hand, I'd like to send them all at once to save on postage.

Jan
Jan, I think it is probably a good idea to exchange some at SCC, if both of us will be there. We could save all of the postage, then

As for numbers, I really don't know. The big cons in Europe I am going to will be Fedcon and Worldcon2014. both with probably 5-7000 people. Not all B5 fans, of course.at Fedcon there is usually at least one B5 related guest. Worldcon os, of course more literature oriented, but a few B5 fans would very probably show up there. Then some smaller cons in Denmark.

I think there is a fair chance of "spending" about 100. Maybe 150.

What do you think ?

My blog :

Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 AM

Let's figure on at least 300, Jan. Better too many than too few.

And by the way, folks. I've posted a photo album of the Cool Stuff I've had made up and I've decided to make it available to everybody. Check out the photos and info on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1698375&type=1

Jan
Old 11-16-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Let's figure on at least 300, Jan. Better too many than too few.

And by the way, folks. I've posted a photo album of the Cool Stuff I've had made up and I've decided to make it available to everybody. Check out the photos and info on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1698375&type=1

Jan
True, Jan.

Could we arrange for me picking up a full set of the cool stuff at SCC. A donation is no problem, but saving the mail and the hassel of mailing is fine with me. I have unlimited patience, until it, like the Universe, curves back on to itself (yes, I could not help but citing G'Kar)

My blog :

Old 11-16-2013, 03:49 PM

I'll put together a full set for you. Let me know your color choices unless you want one of every color? I know there's already one other fan who wants that.

Jan
Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Ubik, I can't see that concentrating on the major networks will necessarily help us at all since there's no way they'll re-run B5 in prime time. During off hours, the local affiliates generally run teir own programming whether it's reruns or talk shows or whatever. That's why I've mainly suggested contacting local channels.
I didn't necessarily mean major networks. Sorry if my terminology was a tad vague. Any channels really... I'm not picky! Are we going to single out a few likely candidates to focus on? Is there a plan of attack? I guess I want to do what I can, but need a framework within which to work.

I suppose we are still in the planning phase, and will gather momentum as things move along. Just point me in the right direction and I'll help out!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: