JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 2.43 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM

"Shadowman" movie-Possible SPOILERS

Here's the announcement JMS said was coming today:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/j-mi...mic-shadowman/

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Valiant Entertainment and The Mummy producer Sean Daniel are teaming up to turn the Valiant Comic Shadowman into a live action feature. TheyÆve made a deal with J. Michael Straczynski to write the script.
Quote:
ôShadowman is a character who lives in a unique world that mixes the modern world with that which is most ancient within us,ö Straczynski. ôThe New Orleans vibe and history, and the struggle to find a balance with the personality within him, is a perfect dramatic vehicle. WeÆve already finished the outline and thereÆs a lot of action, much of it unique to what Shadowman can do*but at the core of it, thereÆs a strong character, world and mythology that can be explored across multiple subsequent films. This is gonna be fun.ö
Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Wow, so many new JMS projects at the moment!

Interesting, especially if they can spin it off into a multi film franchise. Long form JMS is usually worth the effort. The only issue I can see is that Shadowman isnÆt exactly a household name, could be a hard sell when the market is already flooded with comic book / superhero films. I consider myself a comic book fan, but have to admit IÆve never come across the comics or the character. That said, there are plenty of good comic book adaptations out there that have done well regardless of the obscurity of the source material. CronenbergÆs æA History of ViolenceÆ for example, same with æRoad to PerditionÆ. They werenÆt sold as comic book films and still did moderately well.

Kosh: Good!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:43 AM

IMDbPro has a page for it now.

Quote:
Plot outline
A jazz musician finds himself possessed by an ancient spirit of vengeance that leads him into a new and unexplored world of voodoo and dead spirits. Based on the Valiant Comics character.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Another MTV Geek video interview where JMS talks about the Shadowman movie:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/03/07/...adowman-movie/

ETA: Given that JMS talks about future plans, I've edited the thread title to warn of potential spoilers.

ETA2: JMS confirmed that the title is 'Shadowman'. I wasn't sure since it seems to be referred to as 'the Shadowman movie' rather than 'the movie 'Shadowman'.

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 03-07-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Thanks for the update Jan.

I had to chuckle at how staged the office is in term of JMS PRODUCTS. Neatly placed key graphic novels, B5 poster, Dr. Manhattan statue... Makes total sense, but felt a little over the top!

Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 PM

From Twitter just a short time ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski‏@Straczynski
On Wednesday I turn in my first draft screenplay for a Shadowman movie based on the Valiant Comics character. Most excited.
Jan
Old 03-11-2015, 03:08 AM

JMS shared information on a deal that could impact the 'Shadowman' script he wrote:

http://valiantuniverse.com/2015/03/0...ers-worldwide/

Quote:
In total, the new agreement is the first deal of its kind brokered between an internationally based entertainment company and a leading independent publisher of comic books and graphic novels. Utilizing DMG’s expertise in international film development, production, and distribution, Valiant will begin to establish its cinematic universe in the United States, China and beyond. Current Valiant feature films in development include the previously announced BLOODSHOT from Sony Pictures in partnership with Original Film; SHADOWMAN in partnership with the Sean Daniel Company from a script by J. Michael Straczynski; and ARCHER & ARMSTRONG, also with the Sean Daniel Company from a script by BenDavid Grabinski; among others. Valiant has also already begun development on several television projects.
Jan
Old 03-12-2015, 01:52 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
JMS shared information on a deal that could impact the 'Shadowman' script he wrote:

http://valiantuniverse.com/2015/03/0...ers-worldwide/

Jan
Interesting. In many ways I'm quite surprised that Image comics haven't gone this route too. Obviously there’s the rather ill fated Spawn film of the 90s, and the much much better animated series. Image seem to be the forerunner in terms of larger indie publishing houses. They were one of the first to go head to head with Marvel and DC and do well. Their current roster really represents some of the best mainstream comics out there right now (Saga, Sex Criminals, The Wicked and the Divine, Multiple Warheads, etc, etc).

The thing with Valiant is that I have zero awareness of their properties or characters. So it’s harder to get excited when I have zero investment in that universe. Although, that said, something like Guardians of the Galaxy shows that the public don’t necessarily need to know the characters to embrace a film. If the scripts are good, and they pick directors / cast wisely, there’s no reason these can’t do well. I am still waiting for ‘comic book film fatigue’ to set in amongst the film going public, but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Jana

Valiant partners with Sony for five picture deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Here's the announcement JMS said was coming today:
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/j-mi...mic-shadowman/
Coming Soon article with news about Valiant Comics and their five picture deal with Sony:

"Last month, it was revealed that Valiant Entertainment was making big plans for their own "cinematic universe" with their characters, and now they've laid out a plan for their universe moving forward. The Hollywood Reporter brings word that Valiant has partnered up with Sony Pictures to launch their universe in 2017 with the long-in-development Bloodshot, which will be followed by Harbinger."

"Other Valiant properties remain in development, including Shadowman in partnership with the Sean Daniel Company from a script by J. Michael Straczynski..."

Full article here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...-and-harbinger

Last edited by sense8linked.com; 04-21-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Looks like Sony is gearing up for the Valiant Comic Universe films.

http://www.thewrap.com/oscar-isaac-j...erg-bloodshot/

Quote:
Sony has assembled a wish list for actors to lead the comic-book movie “Bloodshot” that includes Oscar Isaac, James McAvoy, Jake Gyllenhaal, Nicholas Hoult, and Mark Wahlberg, an insider familiar with the search told TheWrap exclusively.

Sony is gearing up to make an offer for the lead on the comic-book series from Valiant Entertainment, and has a shortlist of eight actors, said the insider, who shared five of the names with TheWrap. The fact that the actors are on the wish list doesn’t necessarily mean Sony is in talks with them.
Unsure how this affects JMS' scripts for other prospective Valiant films, but this may be the first film to kick things off? If this goes well, then perhaps others get the green light?

Last edited by Ubik; 05-18-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Just a fan

Adam Simon will rewrite JMS' script (who will remain onboard as executive producer - (my note: at least credits-wise)) and Reginald Hudlin will direct.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...dowman-1012174

Their credits are not particularly good from what I can see.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0800048/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0399737/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: