JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 3.47 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Alyt, B5 Script Team

Carnahan's a good writer. That's a relief.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 PM

I don't know anything about the movies he's done but from what I've been reading it's *not* just mindless action/adventure so that's good.

Jan
Old 08-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Confirmed User

I'm still worried though because the leaked script (which I have intentionally not sort out) was so praised that any alteration may run the risk of evoking one of my favorite words.

Verschlimmbesserung is the act of making something bad or broken by trying to improve it.

I just can't shake my gut feeling that this book's ideal secondary medium of presentation is not cinema but television.

Almost every seperate interview would make an amazing 40 minutes on the small screen, trying to adapt it to the big screen would be more trouble than it's worth and not do the book justice.

"Dead Set" shows that zombie telly is a doable (it even resembles the celebrity compound segment of WWZ).

Last edited by Shr'eshhhhhh; 08-20-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Confirmed User

I read that they are looking for a new director for this project now as well...
Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Rampantly Irresponsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shr'eshhhhhh View Post
Verschlimmbesserung is the act of making something bad or broken by trying to improve it.

The direct translation into English is "Studio notes."
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 AM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I don't know anything about the movies he's done but from what I've been reading it's *not* just mindless action/adventure so that's good.

Jan
No, but I find The Kingdom to be quite evil and superficial ("let's all fight terrorism together!")... very much the opposite of WWZ in many ways. Carnahan may not just write action, but I'm not entirely certain that there's real perception at work there - something which is very much the case with Brooks.

Maybe they'll get Uwe Boll to direct.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Confirmed User

Max Brooks interview from July 9th. Short mention of movie:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/max-brooks,42941/

Quote:
AVC: HowÆs the movie coming along? There was a big bidding war when the book came out in 2006, but we havenÆt heard much about it lately.

MB: ItÆs never stalled. ItÆs just in development. Which is maddening, because development takes forever. TheyÆve always been full steam ahead on it; I think the problem is that if theyÆre going to make it, itÆs going to have to be a really big movie, and I think that has made them very conscious of trying to get it right. They got a writer who did a kick-ass job. They brought in another writer who I hear is doing another kick-ass job. They brought in [director] Marc Forster, thank God. I was terrified theyÆd bring in some guy who had done some MTV videos, and they thought would be perfect for it. But the fact that they brought in Forster (MonsterÆs Ball, Quantum Of Solace) I thought was amazingùwe had lunch and talked about it, and he gets it. He gets what I was trying to do with the book.

AVC: Do you have any day-to-day involvement with the production?

MB: Nope. You know more about it than I do.
Meanwhile, Marc Forster seems to be doing any movie thrown at him, as long as it isn't WWZ.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28344
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Confirmed User

News from Comic-Con.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/07/21...orded-attacks/

Brooks got a call last night that Brad Pitt is now officially attached to star in the film. The studio is currently targeting a summer 2012 release. Also, Paramount has optioned the movie rights to "The Zombie Survival Guide" and "The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks".
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Sleeping In Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakie View Post
News from Comic-Con.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/07/21...orded-attacks/

Brooks got a call last night that Brad Pitt is now officially attached to star in the film. The studio is currently targeting a summer 2012 release. Also, Paramount has optioned the movie rights to "The Zombie Survival Guide" and "The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks".
Awesome. I believe JMS' script is turned in for that movie, so we just have to wait for it to be produced. If Brad Pitt is signed up for sure, that means the movie's likely going ahead into production soon
Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
Awesome. I believe JMS' script is turned in for that movie, so we just have to wait for it to be produced. If Brad Pitt is signed up for sure, that means the movie's likely going ahead into production soon
Call me a pessimist, but while I'm waiting, I'll be hoping that th person doing the rewrite won't screw it up. I wan't thrilled with Forster's remarks about the script and how fast it was put to rewrite.

Jan
Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Sleeping In Light

Yeah I was reading on CBR that Max Brooks was hailing someone else as the writer for the script in one of the panels. That worries me as well...
Old 08-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Busy! Busy! Busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
Yeah I was reading on CBR that Max Brooks was hailing someone else as the writer for the script in one of the panels. That worries me as well...
We have known for a long time now that someone else (Matthew Michael Carnahan) had been hired to (re)write the script for WWZ. JMS himself said that he no longer had any involvement with it.

Just always seemed odd to me to see the reception JMS' script received quickly followed by the director stating that the script was a long way from realization and still needed a lot of development.

Sounds to me like what we eventually see will bear little resemblance to the acclaimed version that JMS wrote ... in which case I imagine that it will join the ever lengthening list of zombie movies that I am not interested in.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:06 AM

In response to a Facebook poster who was upset that JMS's script had been set aside:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
On any film in development, once a director comes aboard, he has to decide, "is this the film I want to make?" It has to line up with the kind of films the director likes to shoot. Eastwood would never shoot a John Carpenter film, and Joh...n Carpenter would never shoot an Eastwood film. It's a matter of style and approach to storytelling. After that, ultimately, it's a matter of whether or not the studio wishes to finance that director's vision. In short: it happens a lot, so you try not to take it personally. I've often been on the other end of that equation, when a director came onto a project and wanted a new approach, and my phone rang. Sometimes they go with the first draft, sometimes the alternate draft, and sometimes an amalgam. It's just the nature of the business.See More
JMS has often commented how unusual it was that Clint Eastwood shot his first draft. This is probably the more usual situation.

Jan
Old 08-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Confirmed User

The other end of the equation heÆs referring to would be something like Ninja Assassin I imagine. He was the one who was called in to do a re-write, partial or whatever.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Confirmed User

From Vulture:

Quote:
World War Z may be dying (or is it re-dying?) unless Paramount can find a co-financier. The film currently has a price tag of more than $125 million, and the studio is fervently searching for a partner to share the risk. Our sources tell us that if they can't find one, it's likely that Paramount will pull the plug on the adaptation of the Max Brooks book, which was to be directed by Quantum of Solace's Marc Forster and star Pitt, who would also produce.

Insiders say an eleventh-hour effort is being made to court frequent Paramount co-financier David Ellison (Mission: Impossible IV, Top Gun II) as well as another, unspecified investor. Paramount Film Group president Adam Goodman insists to Vulture, "We're really committed to making a big, kick-ass giant movie with Marc Forster and Brad Pitt."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: