JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Confirmed User

Well I don't see Kylo Ren in the same league as Vader so I would have been super upset if that had gone down that way.

If there is one thing I can't stand it is the concept that just being strong with the force allows individuals to be adept in light saber duels. We know that Ankin/Vader trained for most of his life. We know that Obi Wan and others trained in duels for most of their lives. Does anyone know exactly how long Kylo Ren studied? I mean we know Luke continued to learn after Obi Wan and Yoda even after they were gone. And we know that his strength with the force did help him when it came to dueling; as it clearly did for Rey as well. But the fact that Rey was able to hold her own against Kylo Ren has to be a sign that he is not as adept as the rest of his lineage. I know some of my friends say that we don't know if Rey actually didn't study dueling prior to The Force Awakens (2015), but I think the movies make it pretty obvious that she is strictly operating under, for lack of a better term, "Force Sense."

Truth be told I would be soooooo much happier if there had been a period of time where Rey was trained in dueling before she ever faced, even an injured, Kylo Ren. Say what you will about the Prequel Trilogy one of the best things it did was show us Jedi training. The fact that the Force just gives characters abilities, like surviving in a duel, is a VERY big weakness in these new movies, IMHO.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:48 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Well I don't see Kylo Ren in the same league as Vader so I would have been super upset if that had gone down that way.
"The Force Awakens" had set up Kylo Ren to be a Vader wannabe. Of course, that was one of many things J.J. Abrams set up in TFA, that was thrown out by Rian Johnson in TLJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Truth be told I would be soooooo much happier if there had been a period of time where Rey was trained in dueling before she ever faced, even an injured, Kylo Ren. The fact that the Force just gives characters abilities, like surviving in a duel, is a VERY big weakness in these new movies, IMHO.
Yes, we needed a Rey training montage!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
"The Force Awakens" had set up Kylo Ren to be a Vader wannabe. Of course, that was one of many things J.J. Abrams set up in TFA, that was thrown out by Rian Johnson in TLJ.
True, but that doesn't mean Kylo Ren has an ounce of the skill Vader had. And I don't know if I see your point with Johnson throwing that out. Of course I might have missed something, but I don't think the fact that it isn't mentioned heavily in TLJ doesn't mean it is thrown out. But I fully state that I might not be remembering where this happened if there was a point where Johnson threw that out. I should probably watch TLJ again before trying to bring up any of these points. Don't get me wrong, I think TLJ was, overall, a weak effort, but I still think it had some outstanding points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
Yes, we needed a Rey training montage!
That sounds like a joke, but you couldn't be more correct. One thing Empire lacks for me is that I wish they made more reference to the passage of time. I think it would have been great if they had stated Luke was on Dagobah for a minimum of three years. Of course it wasn't nearly that, but making that a point would have really made Empire perfect for me. The same should have been done with Rey. Time is a weird thing in TLJ. We know that the B and C plots are happening over a span of a tangible hours, but clearly Rey is with Luke for much longer than that. Of course it can't be that much longer because TLJ picks up fairly quickly from where TFA left off. - they could have had a much larger gap in time a created a real period of training for Rey. I could keep rambling about this, but alpha128 is absolutely right - we should have, at a minimum, gotten a training montage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: