JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Old 08-21-2017, 05:01 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Yaaaaaaaay! They're hooked.
Yes, the condensed list succeeded in hooking them.

I really do think Season 1 flows better in condensed form. For example, both Catherine Sakai and Garibaldi's aide Jack appear early in the season, and then there is a long gap before these characters reappear in "Chrysalis". For example, Katie watched the entire season and in her video said, "What's her name? Catherine? is back now, which is nice, because she hasn't been here like the entire season."

Now I have to make sure to cue up the DVD without C&T in the room, and also skip the opening titles for the first two episodes, so as to not spoil the surprise of Delenn's transformation.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Confirmed User

Jack is in the background in a few episodes I think.

Wish there was more Sakai.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
Jack is in the background in a few episodes I think.

Wish there was more Sakai.
Jack was in three episodes prior to "Chrysalis":

# Title
6 Mind War
8 And The Sky Full Of Stars
12 By Any Means Necessary

On my REVISED LIST I showed those three episodes back to back, and then there was only a six episode Jack gap before "Chrysalis". If the complete season is watched, there is nine episode Jack gap.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Confirmed User

WOOOHOOO!!!!! I feel like we need to have a party or something. I knew they would get hooked.

I can't wait until they want to go back and see what they missed. I am sure you won't make it through Season 2 before they are asking that. Then I don't know what you will do.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
WOOOHOOO!!!!! I feel like we need to have a party or something. I knew they would get hooked.

I can't wait until they want to go back and see what they missed. I am sure you won't make it through Season 2 before they are asking that. Then I don't know what you will do.
I think that the ten episodes we skipped were pretty disposable.

And I was able to drop in some plot points from the episodes we skipped into the episodes we watched.

For example, we didn't watch "Survivors", but in "A Voice in the Wilderness #1" when Londo says to Garibaldi, "Water, fascinating! I never touch the stuff myself", I paused the playback and told them that Garibaldi is an alcoholic.

Likewise, we didn't watch "The War Prayer", but I paused the Universe Today front page in "And the Sky Full of Stars" and explained that Homeguard were human supremacists.

Finally we didn't watch "Born to the Purple", but I'll explain to them about Adira before we watch "Interludes and Examinations".
Old 08-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
THOSE ARE FIGHTING WORDS AND I CHALLENGE YOU!!!!! (Glove removed and slap to your cheek delivered!)
Old 08-21-2017, 11:57 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
THOSE ARE FIGHTING WORDS AND I CHALLENGE YOU!!!!! (Glove removed and slap to your cheek delivered!)
Now now looney.

Not knowing what part of our spinny fragile blue-green JEwel you are from this may be wildly inappropriate but the correct phrasology (said in a suitably cracker southern accent) is "Them's fighin' words"
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 08-22-2017, 12:04 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedout View Post
Now now looney.

Not knowing what part of our spinny fragile blue-green JEwel you are from this may be wildly inappropriate but the correct phrasology (said in a suitably cracker southern accent) is "Them's fighin' words"
AH yes, very true, very true Phaze. Even here in the Middle West U.S. "Them's" and "fightin'" often get thrown around, but only when I REALLY lose my composure.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:28 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:

And I was able to drop in some plot points from the episodes we skipped into the episodes we watched.

For example, we didn't watch "Survivors", but in "A Voice in the Wilderness #1" when Londo says to Garibaldi, "Water, fascinating! I never touch the stuff myself", I paused the playback and told them that Garibaldi is an alcoholic.

Likewise, we didn't watch "The War Prayer", but I paused the Universe Today front page in "And the Sky Full of Stars" and explained that Homeguard were human supremacists.

Finally we didn't watch "Born to the Purple", but I'll explain to them about Adira before we watch "Interludes and Examinations".
Born to the Purple is one I might have left in as it's fairly strong character stuff. But I can appreciate why you left it out. I have used a compressed S1 to get a few friends into the show and it's always worked better than not doing it.

So, I assume there will be no more editing out of episodes after this? Are you going to show them 'Grey 17 is missing'. I think half the fun is having a laugh at some of the shows' cornier elements and its occasional mis-steps.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 08-22-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:54 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
"I don't appreciate being called 'disposable' in front of others."
"I'm sorry. Is 'skippable' better?"
-- Paraphrase of Sheridan and Corey from: "There All the Honor Lies"

If I had followed the so-called expert advice, I would have shown C&T even fewer episodes. Jason Schankel states that only eight Season 1 episodes are essential, while Geek.com says you can get by with just six.

So I think that my own twelve episode list was a good foundation for them. I didn't see that many Season 1 episodes when I started watching B5.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:39 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Born to the Purple is one I might have left in as it's fairly strong character stuff. But I can appreciate why you left it out. I have used a compressed S1 to get a few friends into the show and it's always worked better than not doing it.
I thought about including "Born to the Purple". As you may recall, it was on my original sixteen episode list. However, I don't feel bad about skipping it in light of its SF Debris review where it only gets a rating of "Watchable".

Quote:
So, I assume there will be no more editing out of episodes after this? Are you going to show them 'Grey 17 is missing'. I think half the fun is having a laugh at some of the shows' cornier elements and its occasional mis-steps.
I do plan to skip one episode each from Season 2 and Season 3.

From Season 2, I plan to skip "A Spider in the Web", which basically asks a bunch of questions that the series never answers. Plus this way I don't have to try to explain Control (Talia) wanting to kill Talia (Control).

From Season 3, I plan to skip "Exogenesis" which IMO is a filler episode and one of my least favorites. Yes, I do plan to show them "Grey 17 Is Missing", because I feel that the Neroon stuff is essential. I'm just going to tell them up front that the episode is 50% brilliant, 50% crap.

There will be no more significant episode skipping until we get to Season 5. And then I plan to so them this condensed list:

1 No Compromises
9 The Kingdom of the Blind
10 A Tragedy of Telepaths
11 Phoenix Rising
12 The Ragged Edge
13 The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father
14 Meditations on the Abyss
15 Darkness Ascending
16 All My Dreams, Torn Asunder
17 Movements of Fire and Shadow
18 The Fall of Centauri Prime
19 Wheel of Fire
20 Objects in Motion
21 Objects at Rest
22 Sleeping In Light

"The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari" through "Day of the Dead" are very padded; those seven episodes can be summarized into about four important plot points. I'm just going to tell them the four plot points and skip as much Bryon as possible.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 AM

Mostly staying out of this since everybody knows I hate the thought of skipping episodes...

but seriously??????!!!!!!!

You'd include 'The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father and SKIP 'The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari'?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!! Probably the most important episode in the Londo/G'Kar arc since G'Kar found out about Londo's complicity in the bombardment of the Narn Homeworld.

Going back to lurking - this isn't the thread for me, though I enjoy reading about their reactions (despite them not actually watching the show I know and love).
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Vorlon Visitor

TBH, I see little need to skip anything after S1. If they dig the show, why not just watch the full seasons. There's usually some value in every episode. Perhaps ask them how they feel about it now that S1 is concluded. They are 'over the hump' so to speak. Even the oft derided S5 is interesting in its own way, and has a very strong final half once it hits its stride. I kinda like the stand alone episodes in S5, like 'Day of the Dead'. The offer a bit of depth to newer characters like Lochley.

On my last re-watch, S5 was not half as bad as I remembered it being. Apart from the singing telepaths (there's a new level of hell reserved just for that), it's fairly solid. Plus it's the last bit of 'proper B5' they're doing to get, so worth enjoying every drop.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 08-22-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:56 AM
Friendly Archaeologist

Quote:
Satai with Punsch's comment made me feel a bit guilty about reporting on them without their knowledge. .
Oh, dont be. It was never my intention. As Looney said, there is no need as you keep it very de-personalized.

Great fun to hear about their reactions to Chrysalis
Old 08-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Mostly staying out of this since everybody knows I hate the thought of skipping episodes...
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
but seriously??????!!!!!!!

You'd include 'The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father and SKIP 'The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari'?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!! Probably the most important episode in the Londo/G'Kar arc since G'Kar found out about Londo's complicity in the bombardment of the Narn Homeworld.
Full ack

@alpha128:
If Your viewers tend to get serious impatient and/or grumpy, it probabely might be the necessity to skip eps.
But this is BAD for understanding Babylon5 full circle!
Look:
a hint here, a hint there
hints are everywhere!

Even in Grey17

@self: next B5 rerun: don't miss ANY ep.!

B5-Stefan

--
President Clark to Ivanova: "Your commanding officer,
Commander Sinclair, will not returning to Babylon5.
He is being reassigned. Permanently."
[Points of Departure - filmed but not published]

Last edited by B5-Stefan; 08-22-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: