JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

View Poll Results: Would you want to see Babylon 5 done by someone else?
The Team from Any Star Trek from TNG Forward 0 0%
The Team from Stargate SG-1 1 7.14%
The Team from Battlestar Galactica 2004 0 0%
The Team from Doctor Who 0 0%
The Team from Farscape 1 7.14%
Joss Whedon 1 7.14%
J.J. Abrams 1 7.14%
Chris Carter 0 0%
Steven Spielberg 0 0%
Other 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2017, 09:48 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan'waia View Post
I've made my friends laugh because of how adamant I can get about NOT wanting a "new" Babylon 5. You'd think since I love it so much I'd want more but that's just it--I love it too much to bear watching it get ruined.

I'm one of those picky people who thinks that the recent explosion of nostalgia-driven sequels, reboots, and adaptations is mostly garbage. I didn't enjoy the new Trek films (I didn't even watch the latest because I was so let down by the first two), I won't watch the sequel shows to the 90's favorites, I think it's insulting to remake something less than 50 years old unless it's tragically terrible (and always insulting to remake a classic no matter the age), and the live-action Disney films just scream "We've run out of ideas!"

I also find it disrespectful of all the people who worked on it the first time, and insulting to the memory of all the cast and crew who are no longer with us.

No, they could get the finest people in the industry and JMS at the helm, and I'd still find it disappointing, I fear. The new stuff lacks the flavor and feel of the old, what made it special. Everything's flat and generic now. I'd rather see some brand new, creative ideas hit the big and small screen.

That being said, if they do update/continue B5 I won't stop them, because, fandom growth. Hahaha! AND if it makes other people happy, that's good too.

But as long as JMS is alive he has to be involved! *puts foot down*
See I agree with the idea of many reboots being awful, however, I just think it would be different with JMS being involved. I feel that we would get something new, but something the same. The only problem I have is that JMS may have been the Almightly, but the show isn't just great because of him. I think we all know that and there is where things get tricky. Even putting what the actors brought to the experience aside there are so many little things that make B5 great that JMS really didn't do. He may have approved or disapproved some of them, but sooooo much of what I love about B5 is connected to aspects like how it looked -the sets, the costumes, the makeup, the effects, the props, and everything. I just hope that WHEN there is something new it can live up to those unique qualities of the original. I mean I wish it could look exactly the same . . . for the most part. That alone is a heavy goal to aim for coupled with being true to what the original actors added is going to be a heck of an undertaking for JMS to attempt . . . and I can't wait to see what he can comes up with.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:35 PM
The Un-calculated Risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
See I agree with the idea of many reboots being awful, however, I just think it would be different with JMS being involved. I feel that we would get something new, but something the same. The only problem I have is that JMS may have been the Almightly, but the show isn't just great because of him. I think we all know that and there is where things get tricky. Even putting what the actors brought to the experience aside there are so many little things that make B5 great that JMS really didn't do. He may have approved or disapproved some of them, but sooooo much of what I love about B5 is connected to aspects like how it looked -the sets, the costumes, the makeup, the effects, the props, and everything. I just hope that WHEN there is something new it can live up to those unique qualities of the original. I mean I wish it could look exactly the same . . . for the most part. That alone is a heavy goal to aim for coupled with being true to what the original actors added is going to be a heck of an undertaking for JMS to attempt . . . and I can't wait to see what he can comes up with.
Well we all know it wouldn't look all the same--one of the things that makes me happy about the show is how nineties some of the fashion looks! lol
Old 04-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Well we all know it wouldn't look all the same--one of the things that makes me happy about the show is how nineties some of the fashion looks! lol
Yeah I usually like that quality as well, with the exception of Marcus' full uniform. Not a fan of the checkerboard.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:02 PM
The Un-calculated Risk

Quote:
Yeah I usually like that quality as well, with the exception of Marcus' full uniform. Not a fan of the checkerboard.
HAHA! You'd like my "ranger" coat then. When I commissioned a costume for the comic con in Galveston we couldn't find a similar fabric and it would cost more than I could afford to hunt and buy online, so I opted for a straight brown. Not "authentic" but people got the idea.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
HAHA! You'd like my "ranger" coat then. When I commissioned a costume for the comic con in Galveston we couldn't find a similar fabric and it would cost more than I could afford to hunt and buy online, so I opted for a straight brown. Not "authentic" but people got the idea.
Oh is that what you were wearing? I think I have a few photos of you. You are posing with a gentleman who's name I don't recall. I have his card somewhere. He was also wearing a Ranger Uniform that day. I am being totally honest with you, his might look a little closer to one Marcus wore, but I like your's better. I would wear something similar to yours. And yours looks authentic if you consider that not all Ranger Uniforms looked alike.

AHHHH I want to go back there and live those three days again. It was such a wonderful experience. I was so depressed when it was over and I had to drive back to my mom's house in Cypress and then back to Illinois a few days later. I so wish they would do a 25TH Anniversary near me or back in Texas near Mom or my brother in Austin. I'll settle for one in LA, if that happens. (Fingers Crossed.)
Old 04-04-2017, 06:43 AM
Confirmed User

No, not without JMS.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 PM
The Un-calculated Risk

Quote:
Oh is that what you were wearing? I think I have a few photos of you. You are posing with a gentleman who's name I don't recall. I have his card somewhere. He was also wearing a Ranger Uniform that day. I am being totally honest with you, his might look a little closer to one Marcus wore, but I like your's better. I would wear something similar to yours. And yours looks authentic if you consider that not all Ranger Uniforms looked alike.

AHHHH I want to go back there and live those three days again. It was such a wonderful experience. I was so depressed when it was over and I had to drive back to my mom's house in Cypress and then back to Illinois a few days later. I so wish they would do a 25TH Anniversary near me or back in Texas near Mom or my brother in Austin. I'll settle for one in LA, if that happens. (Fingers Crossed.)
Yeah this is my blog post from the convention. See anyone familiar?

http://kamikazebirdwithabrokenwing.t...ylon-5-reunion

It may have been budgetary reasons that made my coat less Marcus-like but it's worked out because the coat works well for other cosplays as well.

I would love to go back too. I also really wish Jerry hadn't had to cancel. At the time I just said, "Oh well, we'll try again at the 25th reunion."

Anyway, back on topic. I saw JJ Abrams was one of the people on the poll and I laughed. If he did wind up in charge I'd have to track him down and asked, "Abrams, what ARE you playing here? Sci-Fi Monopoly!!?!?" Sadly if he made a movie I'd not be able to watch it in theaters. His cinematography gives me motion sickness, strangely enough.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:

I would love to go back too. I also really wish Jerry hadn't had to cancel. At the time I just said, "Oh well, we'll try again at the 25th reunion."
So true, so true. I thought the very same thing at the time.

Quote:
His cinematography gives me motion sickness, strangely enough.
Huh, that is too bad, but you are okay watching it on a TV? As I have said before, he is one of the people on the list that I am pretty sure has stated he was a fan of B5. And I do think his goal is a monopoly on all Science Fiction. I wish I could say that is a good thing, but I have not been a big fan of the new Trek. Star Wars has been pretty decent, so far.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:21 PM
The Un-calculated Risk

Quote:
So true, so true. I thought the very same thing at the time.

Huh, that is too bad, but you are okay watching it on a TV? As I have said before, he is one of the people on the list that I am pretty sure has stated he was a fan of B5. And I do think his goal is a monopoly on all Science Fiction. I wish I could say that is a good thing, but I have not been a big fan of the new Trek. Star Wars has been pretty decent, so far.
At least Jerry and I got to email/tweet at each other. He even read a funny email I sent him on the air, on my mother's birthday coincidentally (the email wasn't about her). But we never got to meet. And it boils my parsnips, it does! All the actors I never got a chance to...I'm just so grateful I got to meet everyone I did!

Yeah I can watch his stuff on TV's. I wasn't too bothered by his SW stuff but I have never been more than a passive viewer of that franchise, so I had little investment in it. My brother-in-law (whom I regularly "fight" with over what's the best SciFi) didn't like it abandoning the original canon, but still preferred it to the last trilogy. lol
Old 04-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
I'm just so grateful I got to meet everyone I did!
Me too. I think I am have met everyone in the main cast that I can. Now I would just like a little more time to talk with them. Jerry, Jeff Conaway, and Michael O'Hare are the only three I will never get a chance to meet in person. Without Galveston that list might have been longer, but I would also have more motivation to track some of them down. LOL Of course, I have only said more than hello to a handful.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 PM
The Un-calculated Risk

Quote:
Me too. I think I am have met everyone in the main cast that I can. Now I would just like a little more time to talk with them. Jerry, Jeff Conaway, and Michael O'Hare are the only three I will never get a chance to meet in person. Without Galveston that list might have been longer, but I would also have more motivation to track some of them down. LOL Of course, I have only said more than hello to a handful.
Yeah; without Galveston I'd not have met anyone, at least not yet! I really do hope I get to meet JMS in person sometime--is he ok with hugs or should I play it cool? lol Not a creepy hug or anything.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Confirmed User

Well I've only met him once and I REALLY ruined it by being too starstruck. He was like "Hey, how you doing?" and I was just like, "Duuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh me not worthy to speak out loud right now." It was ridiculous. Jan will have to answer the hugs question. I only shared a manly handshake with him. LOL
Old 04-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I really do hope I get to meet JMS in person sometime--is he ok with hugs or should I play it cool? lol Not a creepy hug or anything.
Don't really know. I've seen him hugged but only from the back so I didn't see his face or reaction. One fan (in Phoenix, I think) once told me that she asked him for a hug and he just gave her a look. Guess the best thing to do would be to ask? He really hasn't been doing very many con appearances recently.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: