JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.32 average. Display Modes
  #8596  
Old 11-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 13,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBoy View Post
"Oh, and you mentioned wondering what my pleasure threshold is. I just recently found out. .. I don't have one. Have a very, very nice day, G'Kar."
"That's one of those things I was trying to tell you. Around here, we don't have to look for trouble. On B5, trouble comes looking for us."
__________________
"Anyone who advocates for "alternative facts" has moved from the language of obfuscation to the language of tyranny." JMS Twitter Jan. 22, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #8597  
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28 AM
Kraig's Avatar
Kraig Kraig is offline
Lurker in Brown Sector
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central California
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
"That's one of those things I was trying to tell you. Around here, we don't have to look for trouble. On B5, trouble comes looking for us."
God, I thought I was depressing.
Reply With Quote
  #8598  
Old 11-08-2017, 02:41 PM
phazedout's Avatar
phazedout phazedout is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
God, I thought I was depressing.
Do you know what a telepath has to do in order to avoid picking up stray thoughts? We have to kick down our natural abilities, run rhymes and little songs through our heads 'round and 'round. All that to keep from picking up what you're broadcasting loud enough to be heard halfway down the hall. You're one of those people who rehearses everything, Mr. Garibaldi. You never enter a situation until you've gone over it and over it a hundred times, worked out what you will say and what the other person will say, how you'll respond. It's .. quite remarkable and extremely depressing. That little personality quirk must have cost you more than a few relationships. Mundanes want us to fill our heads with noise and babble so we won't hear what you're shouting at the top of your minds.
__________________
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Reply With Quote
  #8599  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:34 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedout View Post
Do you know what a telepath has to do in order to avoid picking up stray thoughts? We have to kick down our natural abilities, run rhymes and little songs through our heads 'round and 'round. All that to keep from picking up what you're broadcasting loud enough to be heard halfway down the hall. You're one of those people who rehearses everything, Mr. Garibaldi. You never enter a situation until you've gone over it and over it a hundred times, worked out what you will say and what the other person will say, how you'll respond. It's .. quite remarkable and extremely depressing. That little personality quirk must have cost you more than a few relationships. Mundanes want us to fill our heads with noise and babble so we won't hear what you're shouting at the top of your minds.
"Never, ever, ever trust a telepath. I swear to you, I'm gonna have that tattooed inside my eyelids."
Reply With Quote
  #8600  
Old 11-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Kraig's Avatar
Kraig Kraig is offline
Lurker in Brown Sector
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central California
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
"Never, ever, ever trust a telepath. I swear to you, I'm gonna have that tattooed inside my eyelids."
You know, when I first came to Babylon 5, I studied your record. Terrible pity about your mother. But she took her own life. It wasn't the Corps that did it. I was just noticing, you have her eyes. You know, it's come to my attention lately that we have a common enemy. There's an old saying: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend. " President Clark isn't calling the shots back home. Others are whispering in his ear. I don't know who they are or where they're from. But I do know they're not human. I've only heard one name for them: Shadows. My guess is you know more about them than I do, but you're probably not interested in sharing that information, are you? You know the real reason you don't like me, Commander? It's the jealousy of evolution. Normals like you are obsolete. The future belongs to telepaths. And I intend to make sure that future happens one way or the other.
Reply With Quote
  #8601  
Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 PM
AstroBoy AstroBoy is offline
The one that was
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: So. Cal. Land of Fruits, Nuts, and Flakes
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
You know, when I first came to Babylon 5, I studied your record. Terrible pity about your mother. But she took her own life. It wasn't the Corps that did it. I was just noticing, you have her eyes. You know, it's come to my attention lately that we have a common enemy. There's an old saying: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend. " President Clark isn't calling the shots back home. Others are whispering in his ear. I don't know who they are or where they're from. But I do know they're not human. I've only heard one name for them: Shadows. My guess is you know more about them than I do, but you're probably not interested in sharing that information, are you? You know the real reason you don't like me, Commander? It's the jealousy of evolution. Normals like you are obsolete. The future belongs to telepaths. And I intend to make sure that future happens one way or the other.
"We're engaged in a very dangerous game, Mr. Garibaldi. In this game you have to pick a target very carefully, because you only have one shot. And this is much, much bigger than you suspect."
"President Clark isn't the real problem, he's trivial. One way or another he'll be gone in a few years, but the telepaths he put in power, the Psi Corps, those will be with us forever. That's the real danger. If information is power, then telepaths represent the greatest threat to freedom we've ever seen. We have to deal with that, or face the very real possibility of our own extinction."
__________________
All generalizations are false, including this one.
Reply With Quote
  #8602  
Old 11-09-2017, 06:52 AM
Melanie's Avatar
Melanie Melanie is offline
Narn with key
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Krakow, Poland
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBoy View Post
"We're engaged in a very dangerous game, Mr. Garibaldi. In this game you have to pick a target very carefully, because you only have one shot. And this is much, much bigger than you suspect."
"President Clark isn't the real problem, he's trivial. One way or another he'll be gone in a few years, but the telepaths he put in power, the Psi Corps, those will be with us forever. That's the real danger. If information is power, then telepaths represent the greatest threat to freedom we've ever seen. We have to deal with that, or face the very real possibility of our own extinction."
"Na, I can't believe we would be that foolish. Santayana, Those who don't remember past are condemned to repeated it. It would seem no one reads Santayana anymore."
__________________
"It means living each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter."
Reply With Quote
  #8603  
Old 11-09-2017, 05:35 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
"Na, I can't believe we would be that foolish. Santayana, Those who don't remember past are condemned to repeated it. It would seem no one reads Santayana anymore."
"It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past."
Reply With Quote
  #8604  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Melanie's Avatar
Melanie Melanie is offline
Narn with key
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Krakow, Poland
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
"It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past."
"The universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is not narn or human or centauri or gaim or minbari. It speaks in the language of hope."
"It speaks in the language of trust. It speaks in the language of strength and the language of compassion. It is the language of the heart and the language of the soul. But always it is the same voice. It is the voice of our ancestors speaking through us and the voice of our inheritors waiting to be born. The small, still voice that says: 'We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one. No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.' Here, gathered together in common cause, we begin to realize this singular truth and this singular rule that we must be kind to one another. Because each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light our way to a better future. We are one."
"We are one."
__________________
"It means living each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter."
Reply With Quote
  #8605  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 13,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
"The universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is not narn or human or centauri or gaim or minbari. It speaks in the language of hope."
"It speaks in the language of trust. It speaks in the language of strength and the language of compassion. It is the language of the heart and the language of the soul. But always it is the same voice. It is the voice of our ancestors speaking through us and the voice of our inheritors waiting to be born. The small, still voice that says: 'We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one. No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.' Here, gathered together in common cause, we begin to realize this singular truth and this singular rule that we must be kind to one another. Because each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light our way to a better future. We are one."
"We are one."
"Their only weakness is that they do not recognize their own greatness. They forget that they have come to this place through two million years of evolution, struggle, and blood, that they are better than they think, and nobler than they know. They carry within them the capacity to walk among the stars like giants. They are the future, and we have much to learn from them."
__________________
"Anyone who advocates for "alternative facts" has moved from the language of obfuscation to the language of tyranny." JMS Twitter Jan. 22, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #8606  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 AM
Kraig's Avatar
Kraig Kraig is offline
Lurker in Brown Sector
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central California
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
"Their only weakness is that they do not recognize their own greatness. They forget that they have come to this place through two million years of evolution, struggle, and blood, that they are better than they think, and nobler than they know. They carry within them the capacity to walk among the stars like giants. They are the future, and we have much to learn from them."

This is how the world ends. Swallowed in fire, but not in darkness. You will live on. The voice of all our ancestors the voice of our fathers and our mothers to the last generation. We created the world we think you would've wished for us. And now we leave the cradle for the last time.
Reply With Quote
  #8607  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:53 PM
AstroBoy AstroBoy is offline
The one that was
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: So. Cal. Land of Fruits, Nuts, and Flakes
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
This is how the world ends. Swallowed in fire, but not in darkness. You will live on. The voice of all our ancestors the voice of our fathers and our mothers to the last generation. We created the world we think you would've wished for us. And now we leave the cradle for the last time.
"We've spent too much time reacting when we should have been acting. Let's take the offensive for a change. Fire up the shuttle, Commander, we've got work to do."
__________________
All generalizations are false, including this one.
Reply With Quote
  #8608  
Old 11-15-2017, 06:35 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBoy View Post
"We've spent too much time reacting when we should have been acting. Let's take the offensive for a change. Fire up the shuttle, Commander, we've got work to do."
"Overall I've found this to be a good working environment and a valuable experience. I've learned a lot while I've been here."
Reply With Quote
  #8609  
Old 11-15-2017, 11:11 PM
Kraig's Avatar
Kraig Kraig is offline
Lurker in Brown Sector
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central California
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha128 View Post
"Overall I've found this to be a good working environment and a valuable experience. I've learned a lot while I've been here."
We learn. That's what humans do.
Reply With Quote
  #8610  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:13 PM
alpha128's Avatar
alpha128 alpha128 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
We learn. That's what humans do.
"A human? Imprisons one of us? Intolerable!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.