JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Confirmed User

WOW I wish there was a way to get more people to comment on that Facebook page. It could do wonders if there were enough responses by the end of this week. I am glad to see some of the comments are following Jan's outline.

I am surprised I have yet to see any of the actors mention Go90. Of course, I might have missed them saying something. It sure would be helpful if they all would say something; link to that Facebook page; and tell people to leave positive comments galore.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
WOW I wish there was a way to get more people to comment on that Facebook page. It could do wonders if there were enough responses by the end of this week. I am glad to see some of the comments are following Jan's outline.
Yes, very happy about the ones who have posted. But you can understand why I sometimes get cynical about fans wanting but not acting.

Quote:
I am surprised I have yet to see any of the actors mention Go90. Of course, I might have missed them saying something. It sure would be helpful if they all would say something; link to that Facebook page; and tell people to leave positive comments galore.
Yeah, maybe THEY could get fans to do something!

Really, though, I know that wasn't a very well written post and the link didn't pop up like it was supposed to on FB. But still....
Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Vorlon Visitor

How many responses thus far? It looked pretty good last time I looked in.

Kosh: Good!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
How many responses thus far? It looked pretty good last time I looked in.
There were 348 comments on that thread on the B5 page when I posted to Free Babylon 5. Now there are 408. 5,922 have seen my post (or at least had it show up on their page).

I'll post to the big B5 page again in a day or so but you can see why it's discouraging.

<grouse grouse grouse>
Old 04-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
There were 348 comments on that thread on the B5 page when I posted to Free Babylon 5. Now there are 408. 5,922 have seen my post (or at least had it show up on their page).

I'll post to the big B5 page again in a day or so but you can see why it's discouraging.

<grouse grouse grouse>
Gah, yeah... those numbers aren't good. We should in the 1000s at least to show we mean business!

Kosh: Good!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Gah, yeah... those numbers aren't good. We should in the 1000s at least to show we mean business!
Yeah especially considering some of them are just criticism. Sure wish people would let their voices be heard.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Confirmed User

Unfortunately, I can't help with the comments since I've never had a Facebook account.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerCaste View Post
Unfortunately, I can't help with the comments since I've never had a Facebook account.
Yeah. Same here.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:31 PM
Confirmed User

I think this is the first or one of the first times I've ever posted anything. I am trying to remember, but I may have posted a comment before for #FreeBabylon5 or trying to get METV to rerun B5 or something, but I don't recall. This might have been the first time. I think it is worth it to set one up. I only use mine to look at family pics and follow things and people I like. I don't put anything out there for others to see unless they are following things I press the LIKE button for.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:22 AM
Confirmed User

There’s a problem when a facebook group gets beyond a certain size – and the big B5 facebook group reached and past it a while ago.

The frequency of posts is just too high – folks turn off notifications and like a busy forum, posts get pushed down very quickly. There’s a couple of things that might help. Don’t know why, but I’ve noticed that if you copy an image to the group - that seems to be seen by more people than if you post up a link showing the image. So maybe copying up some image, then include a separate link in the text might help.

The other thing is to just simply bump the post. Wait half an hour before replying to someone rather than replying right away is a subtle way to do it.

As for the FreeBabylon 5 page. Facebook has a whole pile of algorithms relating to what it shows and to whom. If the page hasn’t had regular daily updates (it’s something like two or three which is the optimum number, apparently, can’t remember as it was all a while ago since I looked into it) then it doesn’t share new posts around as much as it could. One of the other things to remember is that it’s a global platform. The time of day you post things does make a difference – so maybe putting up a post at 10 o’clock in the morning at two or three different time zones might help as well (many facebook users are using work computers).
It's the oldest trick in the book, and the lowest, also the meanest, to take someone's words and paraphrase them to your own benefit, and characterize them with loaded terms to make the other person look bad. Frankly, this kind of tactic is beneath contempt. Grow up.
J. Michael Straczynski
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
As for the FreeBabylon 5 page. Facebook has a whole pile of algorithms relating to what it shows and to whom. If the page hasn’t had regular daily updates (it’s something like two or three which is the optimum number, apparently, can’t remember as it was all a while ago since I looked into it) then it doesn’t share new posts around as much as it could. One of the other things to remember is that it’s a global platform. The time of day you post things does make a difference – so maybe putting up a post at 10 o’clock in the morning at two or three different time zones might help as well (many facebook users are using work computers).
I'm pretty pleased with the stats on that post: 6,962 people reached and 1.1K post clicks and 30 people shared the post (29 if you subtract mine ). I think I needed to do better with the call to action, though.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:51 AM
Confirmed User

Yeah. That’s the thing that surprises me a little. The numbers on the post – shares and likes – do look good for the size of the page. But as you say, the actual response to the request wasn’t great. The simplest way to potentially improve it is to just blast the message out. Repeating it a few times on various pages or groups *might* get a grumble from one or two, but far more people will see it, and possibly make the requested comment over on the B5 page.
It's the oldest trick in the book, and the lowest, also the meanest, to take someone's words and paraphrase them to your own benefit, and characterize them with loaded terms to make the other person look bad. Frankly, this kind of tactic is beneath contempt. Grow up.
J. Michael Straczynski
Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Confirmed User

So I was reading some of the comments on Facebook and I noticed there are many that say they wish it was on a larger streaming service. I agree that we all wish it was on Netflix for the world to see, but I think we all know that this is Babylon 5. This is exactly what we should have expected.

Now I am not complaining because Go90 is a free service and from what I have seen so far it has been pretty good. Yes I wish it was available on more of the platforms I own, but it might be more accessible soon. The fact that it is a fledgling service isn't great because people don't want to sign up for new things, but they are just going to have to get used to that reality because I'm pretty sure that is the future. Subscription based everything seems to be what is coming down the road. The good news is that B5 is out there and it is free to sign up and watch. It is too bad that it is only U.S. based, but it was too bad a couple of years ago when it was popping back up only in certain countries.

And isn't this exactly what we should all expect?! Things never get done right when it comes to getting B5 to the masses. Remember The Legend of The Rangers trailers that were actually in movie theaters?! That is spending some serious money on advertising only to flush it all down the toilet by putting it up against an NFL Playoff game. That is insane! Someone has to have been fired over that. We all know the examples of how things have gone wrong or fallen apart. I think the positive here is that it is back and it is free. I can't imagine B5 did very well with the pay-per-episode sites, but here is a platform that is free and it looks pretty darn good. And of course it is a place where people have to be told to go look for it, as we all should have expected.

And maybe this is finally the moment where B5's luck changes. Does anyone know if Verizon customers got Go90 ads that included a B5? I am not a Verizon customer, but maybe they sent something out to all of their customers about Go90 that included Babylon 5. If it happened that has to be a good thing, right?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
That is spending some serious money on advertising only to flush it all down the toilet by putting it up against an NFL Playoff game. That is insane! Someone has to have been fired over that.
Minor quibble: It's not like they had any power over when that football game was *rescheduled*, now, was there? There was this little thing that happened in September that previous year that caused a lot of reshuffling as I recall. And who'd've expected football fans and B5 fans to have had enough overlap to have any affect. It probably didn't, but the high ratings for football make the respectable ratings for Rangers look bad.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Minor quibble: It's not like they had any power over when that football game was *rescheduled*, now, was there? There was this little thing that happened in September that previous year that caused a lot of reshuffling as I recall. And who'd've expected football fans and B5 fans to have had enough overlap to have any affect. It probably didn't, but the high ratings for football make the respectable ratings for Rangers look bad.
That's what I love about Jan; she always keeps Looney honest.

As far as the "overlap" goes, I think Rangers could have enticed a few more eyes to the screen if they hadn't been lured to the Football game. But who is to say. The truth is it is just another B5 story that could have gone better. I think Go90 could be good news for B5 if there are a bunch of Verizon customers seeing that Babylon 5 logo. We could be talking many eyes giving the series a try for the first time. (Fingers Crossed)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: